cricket
Latest News:
Welcome to ICF, folks!
Please register to become part of the Indian Cricket Fever family.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
shilpa
Lanka v. England @ Galle
shilpa (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 07:20
after having lanka 3 down for nothing Mahela and Samrweera are building.

It's a pitch taking turn an bounce....according to CI.... in pre-lunch session on D1.....and Eng is batting last on this against 2 competent frontline spinners.

Eng overcompensating with 3 spinners...althouhg all their wickets are taken by Broad and Anderson.

shilpa
Re: Lanka v. England @ Galle
shilpa (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 07:25
well.....samarweera runout to a straight drive....unfortunate.....my money is still on Lanka

choor
choor (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 07:29
of course it is.

England's bowling doing the job as they did in the UAE. Of course the key will be how they bat.

shilpa
shilpa (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 07:46
when you look at bet365 odds.....a Lankan win 10 minutes back was fetching 3.6 times the return and an England win only 2.0

so it is no so obvious for the bookies.....who are relying on the current scoreline and statistical ranking of England

choor
choor (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 07:59
I mean't it is obvious that your money would be on Sri Lanka. Sri Lanka haven't won a test series for a while and have been playing a lot of ODI cricket, plus it is a 2 test series played over 2 weeks. Odds should be stacked against them. It remains to be seen how well England play, but I think those odds are fair.

shilpa
shilpa (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 08:03
Quote:
choor
I mean't it is obvious that your money would be on Sri Lanka. Sri Lanka haven't won a test series for a while and have been playing a lot of ODI cricket, plus it is a 2 test series played over 2 weeks. Odds should be stacked against them. It remains to be seen how well England play, but I think those odds are fair.

those odds are ridiculous...they are giving a retunr of 3.1 times for a draw......a draw??.....with 4 wkts down for nothing and the pitch spinning.

actually the bookies generally english are more emotional and almost jingistic about England, their pseudo No.1 ranking etc,... and not so rationale...so one gets really good odds against Eng winning.

shilpa
shilpa (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 08:06
meanwhile Jaya holding the inning together.....and Chandimal playing aggressively.

270 will be fantastic total on this pitch IMO.

that Patel is playing as a No. 6 batsman........shows the batting bankruptcy in England...they were in too much of a hurry to get rid of Colingwood.

that patel was bowling in the first session of the match shows the spin bowling bankruptcy of England...........there are 5 patel like or better "spin" bowlers in every Indian XI

choor
choor (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 08:13
Prior will bat 6 and with a test average of nearly 45, I think he will be fine. Patel is there to bat no. 7 and bowl some overs as the 5th bowler while the seamers can have a rest. It remains to be seen whether he can cut the mustard. I would have played Bresnan as the no. 7 myself but lets see how we go.

As for the odds, I will leave it to the bookmakers. Perhaps you can put a call out to Mukesh Gupta and find out what odds the Indian bookmakers are offering up to see if they are any better.

shilpa
shilpa (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 08:15
Broad is struggling according to Vaughan:
seamers have been the only ones to take wicket and eng will be reduced to one seamer only if Broad is not fully fit.

anotehr first test blunder from Flower to forcibly play Swann in the side when his place should have been given to England's fastest and best pacer Finn.

Just like T1 against pak in UAE Flower played Swann instead of an inform Monty.

when agenda in selection overrides pure merit.....team high and mighty fall...look no further than the previous No.1 and world cup winners smiling smiley

BBC Test Match Special's Michael Vaughan
"Broad doesn't look right to me, he's fighting for some kind of rhythm, he's not got that energy into his run-up. He's not walking with any rhythm either, which is a clear indication that there is a problem."

shilpa
shilpa (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 08:21
Quote:
choor
Prior will bat 6 and with a test average of nearly 45, I think he will be fine. Patel is there to bat no. 7 and bowl some overs as the 5th bowler while the seamers can have a rest. It remains to be seen whether he can cut the mustard. I would have played Bresnan as the no. 7 myself but lets see how we go.
As for the odds, I will leave it to the bookmakers. Perhaps you can put a call out to Mukesh Gupta and find out what odds the Indian bookmakers are offering up to see if they are any better.

Dhoni's average was also 42ish built up in his favourite conditions.....and was exposed in Aus and Eng.

thx for explaining the role of Patel....bits and pieces?....well there is no role for such people in test matches any more.

choor
choor (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 08:27
As I said I would have played Bresnan myself, but Patel has scored some runs recent gams, so we shall see.

shilpa
shilpa (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 08:28
well Patel has a wicket now.......Swann does not smiling smiley

Swann might soon become Eng's No.3 spinner...what a fall

choor
choor (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 08:32
LOL. For the life of me I can't understand what Swann has done to the Indian cricket community, but he certainly seems to be one of the least popular players on this website.

Anyhow 5 down and the last recognised batting pair at the crease.

shilpa
shilpa (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 09:18
lanka 168-5 at tea....scorecard would suggest Eng is on top.

BUT...we will find that out when they bat.

odd balls are turning and jumping and Eng will bat last on D4 and D5 ( of the match goes that far)

Lanka needs minimum 220 and they would have done exceedingly well if they can push towards 270-290 from here.

Ebb and Flow of test match cricket at it's very best

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/03/2012 09:19 by shilpa.

Slow Left Chinaman
Slow Left Chinaman (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 09:24
"actually the bookies generally english are more emotional and almost jingistic about England, their pseudo No.1 ranking etc,... and not so rationale...so one gets really good odds against Eng winning."

Bookies dont just base odds on the chance of winning - minimising their risk is also taken into account. So if one team has been heavily backed already, they shorten the odds to reduce liability. This is why Tiger Woods is always a much heavier favourite than his "true" value.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/03/2012 09:25 by Slow Left Chinaman.

choor
choor (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 09:38
P Jaya gone. LBW to Anderson. Now its the tail. Getting very interesting.

ddddddd
Max (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 09:50
Anderson has matured into a fine Test bowler over the last few years, after a sluggish start to his career. Swann seems to be going the other way.

India - World Cup winners 2011!!!
Champions Trophy winners 2013!!!
Congrats to Indian team and all Indian fans!

ddddddd
Max (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 09:55
Why did SL not pick Mendis? He would have bamboozled many of the England batsmen, especially Bell and KP.

India - World Cup winners 2011!!!
Champions Trophy winners 2013!!!
Congrats to Indian team and all Indian fans!

choor
choor (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 10:01
7 down with another run out. I thought I read somewhere that Mendis was injured. I could be wrong.

shilpa
shilpa (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 10:40
Quote:
Max
Why did SL not pick Mendis? He would have bamboozled many of the England batsmen, especially Bell and KP.

agenda

shilpa
shilpa (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 10:44
England have been lucky with two run-outs...meanwhile Jaya playing a defining inning.

Lanka have already crossed the minimum that I set.......if Haerath, Welgdera and Lakmal can score 10 runs each.....and give compnay to Jaya......Lanka will get closer to 300....and that might be a good total given the fraility of English batting.....5 speaiclsits only with KP and Bell struggling in longer form

shilpa
shilpa (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 10:48
In the context of the low scoring game and the help from the pitch...Swann's figures are shocking.....as is his selection

*Graeme Swann(ob)

GP Swann

23 3 92 0 4.00

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/03/2012 11:02 by shilpa.

shilpa
shilpa (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 11:56
Lanka nearing 300 at the close of D1.........they turned it into their day inspite of good bolwing from anderrson...horrible luck of two runs outs in a test match inning........and with good assitance from Monty's two dropped catched at the end that would not have prevented a 250- total neverthless.

Eng missing one strike bowler...they should have played Finn....who with his 95mph pace has troubled everyone in the subcontinent including the Indians, in UAE and now the Lankans in practsie games.

choor
choor (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 12:48
disappointing finish for England but I would have taken 298 / 8 at the start of the day after the loss of the toss. Dropping Jayawardene a couple of times proved costly. Anderson should have caught one of those catches (one of Swann and the other off his own bowling)

MESSAGES->author
apple (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 13:29
Alright day of cricket. I watched the last two sessions and the pitch looks very good for batting ATM. Swann was getting some balls that jumped and spun and one ball in 50, from the fast bowlers, seamed. Otherwise, it was a typical slow low Sri Lankan road and England should be really happy that Lanka aren't 4-300. As tomorrow I don't think there be many batsmen getting out. Although, England have recent form in regard to batting collapses...

Don't really understand the hate for Swann. Seems a really nice, open, honest, funny guy. He looked more likely to get a wicket than Monty.

And Monty's attempts to make a catch were tragic. Just... they were... I can't even find the words.

And for some Shilpa replies

Quote:
shilpa
England have been lucky with two run-outs...

Some golfer said once the more he practises, the luckier he gets.

Quote:
shilpa
thx for explaining the role of Patel....bits and pieces?....well there is no role for such people in test matches any more.

Weren't you saying a while back that when Tendulkar, etc... retire, India should play tests with numbers 7-8 who average over 30 with the bat and numbers 9 and 10 who average over 20?

Fat Boy Patel was good today. Although Anderson got the old ball to reverse a bit and Bresnan would have been useful. England were a bit lucky that Broad and Anderson didn't have to do much bowling in the heat. Both of them looked tired and weren't much good with the 2nd new ball though

MESSAGES->author
round rock (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 15:10
i dont rate mahela much but nowadays he is playing like a gem. that WC finals innings is the best innings i have seen in a WC final. plus the grace.

todays innings is very crucial, scored half the team total.

patel is not a test match material regardless of what he does here.

disappointed with panessar, although he gave fewer runs. swann failed in taking wickets and controlling runs. he was hit for 3 sixers by mahela.

regarding odds, they are just fine. lanka is favored to win. but its not like a cake walk for them, they dont have very good spinners. herath is good. after murali retired, they are relying on seamers. weather is always a factor in lanka.

MESSAGES->author
apple (IP Logged)
27 March, 2012 03:07
Quote:
round rock
patel is not a test match material regardless of what he does here.

disappointed with panessar, although he gave fewer runs. swann failed in taking wickets and controlling runs. he was hit for 3 sixers by mahela.

I agree with you about Patel. But, you never know. He can't be worse in the field than Panesar.

Panesar bowled OK. Was mainly bowling flat, fast and full, a tight (almost ODI) line. When he tried to turn the ball, he was dropping short and he batsmen played him easily. He was perhaps a bit nervous. And this was before the dropped "catches" (he didn't even get his hands together... I don't know what he was doing but it wasn't catching) so is hard to know how he'll bowl in the second innings.

MESSAGES->author
round rock (IP Logged)
27 March, 2012 03:22
panessar has to take twice the wickets of swann to get a place in the team --- he cant field, cant hold the bat

swann is like bajjy. utility player at test level. scores runs, takes catches, takes couple of wickets here and there. main thing , has confidence from skipper

choor
choor (IP Logged)
27 March, 2012 05:19
I think Giles was more the utility player than Swann. Swann when he was on top was taking the wickets that Panesar was taking and contributing more with the bat and on the field. I don't think he will continue to stay in the team if he doesn't take wickets.

I like Panesar a lot though and it would be good to see him improve, but you can ill afford to have liabilities like him on the field unless he is taking a bag full of wickets. When he was first in the team he was at least doing that, and he needs to keep doing it or else he will out again.

SL - 318 All Out. Anderson takes 5. England need to score at least 450 - 500 to be on top. Should be interesting.

Saffers also fail to beat NZ.

choor
choor (IP Logged)
27 March, 2012 05:26
Eng one down with Cook out for a duck. Big blow.

choor
choor (IP Logged)
27 March, 2012 05:27
Lakmal (53) and Welegedera (39) have a similar average to the batsmen Trott (51) and Strauss (41).

choor
choor (IP Logged)
27 March, 2012 06:34
England 3 down at lunch. The key pair of Bell and Pietersen in. Match getting tight.

choor
choor (IP Logged)
27 March, 2012 07:18
4 down. Loose strokes are sinking the England ship at the moment.

choor
choor (IP Logged)
27 March, 2012 07:28
5 down. Oh well.......

shilpa
shilpa (IP Logged)
27 March, 2012 07:51
Quote:
choor
4 down. Loose strokes are sinking the England ship at the moment.

5 gone...it's not loose strokes....BUT INCOMPETENCE

and finally on D2 the english fans-media and bet365 have their feet on ground.......lankan win is at 1.5 and eng's at 4.5......

and what was being reported as a good effortto restrict Lanka to 300ish.... by CI types ......is now looking like a mountain to climb

shilpa
shilpa (IP Logged)
27 March, 2012 07:55
bits and pieces Patel's miserable existence comes to an end making 2 (21)

This English side will struggle to beat BD also in dhaka

shilpa
shilpa (IP Logged)
27 March, 2012 07:58
CAN ENGLAND AVOID A FOLLOW ON (Sm103)

choor
choor (IP Logged)
27 March, 2012 08:12
Umm....this English side has beaten BD in BD. Well actually a second string side with some players rested, but largely the same side.

choor
choor (IP Logged)
27 March, 2012 08:14
Loose strokes / incompetent strokes - call it what you like. My point is still the same.

They will have to bat well to get a good total here. They do bat a long way down, but it is disappointing to be in this position on a wicket that is playing pretty well.

choor
choor (IP Logged)
27 March, 2012 08:16
Follow on saved. I guess Bell needs to score a double, and Broad a century. ;-)

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net