cricket
Latest News:
Welcome to ICF, folks!
Please register to become part of the Indian Cricket Fever family.

MESSAGES->author
Test FAILURE Rohit but Shasti FAVORITE is back in the squad
Birbal (IP Logged)
09 July, 2017 22:06
Meanwhile Test triple centurion...Karun Nair is DROPPED altogether from the squad...

Is the Shastri effect showing up before he is even appointed coach..?

Also what is the point of retaining PROVEN TEST FAILURE Abhinav Mukund...? They should have picked Parthiv Patel who did wonderfully well as opener when called upon... as a back up opener/cum wicket keeper for the tour...

I am OK with them picking Hardik Pandya over Jayant Yadav....

India squad: Virat Kohli (capt.), M Vijay, KL Rahul, Cheteshwar Pujara, Ajinkya Rahane, Rohit Sharma, R Ashwin, Ravindra Jadeja, Wriddhiman Saha (wk), Ishant Sharma, Umesh Yadav, Hardik Pandya, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Mohammed Shami, Kuldeep Yadav, Abhinav Mukund.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2017 22:11 by Birbal.

MESSAGES->author
Re: Test FAILURE Rohit but Shasti FAVORITE is back in the squad
Birbal (IP Logged)
09 July, 2017 22:13
Also no first class match as a prep... just two one day hit outs... oh well....

MESSAGES->author
ananthd (IP Logged)
12 July, 2017 18:33
Atleast they are playing Tests!

24 needed with a bunny coming in at 11? No problem!

MESSAGES->author
ananthd (IP Logged)
12 July, 2017 18:37
This proves my pet theory, star players may not make the best coaches....

I can't think of a single mega-star who's done well as coach....

I loved Anil Kumble as a player, his combativeness and heart but I'm pretty sure he had a huge ego....

And that, going up against someone like a Virat Kohli is not a good combination...

Ravi is more of a manager than a coach and that may not be such a bad thing...

I was indeed surprised why he was even pushed out in the first place, inspite of taking over from Fletcher and doing a decent job....

MESSAGES->author
Birbal (IP Logged)
13 July, 2017 17:32
ananthd... winning 12 drawing 4 and losing only 1 Test during your tenure is doing VERY well... that is Kumble's record (of course Virat and team's too) so don't buy the theory that mega star can't do well...

MESSAGES->author
ananthd (IP Logged)
13 July, 2017 21:15
Yes, but what was the need for Shastri's removal in the first place?

India had beaten SL(for the first time!) and SA in Tests....

The fact that Kumble got booted out, inspite of the team doing so well, leads me to believe that the team did well because they have some good personnel right now....

Honestly, in cricket, unlike most sports, head coaches matter little as the captain most of the decisions anyway, technical coaches maybe...

So maybe guys who massage egos are better than strong personalities....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/07/2017 22:19 by ananthd.

MESSAGES->author
Birbal (IP Logged)
13 July, 2017 22:45
Actually in cricket the role of the coach is the GREAT MOTIVATOR... And a guy who comes up with Plans C, D, and E... when the captain's Plan A and B don't work on the field.

Kumble with his never say die attitude would have been a great motivator...

I saw the HUGE and I mean HUGE improvement in the bowling department as a direct consequence of Kumble... B. Arun was there earlier... but the bowling was never this good...Umesh, Bhuvi, even Ishant have looked completely different bowlers...

Also the HUNGER for winning was stoked by Kumble who was out with his camera for every individual and team milestone...

Yes man management is also a big factor...but so is motivation and strategizing... In the end you can only say Kumble was not one of the key factors in India's success, if India continue to do well without him.

Time will tell.. I guess

Akbar
Akbar (IP Logged)
15 July, 2017 17:58
Quote:
ananthd
Yes, but what was the need for Shastri's removal in the first place?
India had beaten SL(for the first time!) and SA in Tests....

What do you mean by "India had beaten SL for the first time in Tests" ?

MESSAGES->author
Birbal (IP Logged)
16 July, 2017 21:27
Jahanpannah....I think he means IN Sri Lanka...smiling smiley

Akbar
Akbar (IP Logged)
16 July, 2017 23:33
Quote:
Birbal

At the risk of sounding fussy, India won under Azhar and Dada in Lanka.

MESSAGES->author
ananthd (IP Logged)
17 July, 2017 11:31
Quote:
Akbar
Quote:
Birbal

At the risk of sounding fussy, India won under Azhar and Dada in Lanka.

Sorry I should have clarified, I meant won at least 2 tests in a series abroad only for the second time, after Eng(86)....

Yes they won a 1-0 series under Azhar in Lanka, but hadn't won since then(series in SL)...

In fact India have won more than one Test in a series abroad only thrice: under Kapil, SL(16), WI(16)...

My point about the whole Shastri thing was that it seemed unwarranted....

They had lost 4 straight series under Dhoni/Fletcher, most of them ignominiously...

And that SL series felt like the start of the turnaround FWIW....

It was as if the CoA was saying to Shastri thanks for the turnaround, we got it from here to Shastri, when he had wished to continue....

I felt the whole Kumble assignment was a little old-boy-clubs type, even though Kumble was highly respected.....

So I can understand if there was some bad blood between VK and AK, even stemming over the way he was appointed head coach....

MESSAGES->author
Birbal (IP Logged)
17 July, 2017 18:42
Well we will have to wait and see...

I will not wish Indian cricket bad... but IF VK and RS don't succeed now it will be 100% on them... so lot of pressure... but maybe they will do well and take India to big wins overseas too...

That would be awesome...

Anyway, what a BRILLIANT home season... I don't think winning 10 out of 13 while losing 1 and drawing two...can be minimized by saying...it was on tailor made wickets for spin...

Because IT WAS NOT... It was just AWESOME team effort.

MESSAGES->author
Birbal (IP Logged)
17 July, 2017 18:44
Actually ananthd... not to quibble but India did win 3 Tests and lost 1 in a 4 Test series against NZ IN NZ under Pataudi back in the late 60s...Also India won 2... but LOST 3 Tests IN Australia in late 70s... but hey that is like ANCIENT history...smiling smiley

But HOW did you forget the 2-1 Series win against Pakistan in Pakistan 2003-04..?

and of course I am ignoring Bangla and Zimbok series wins...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 17/07/2017 18:53 by Birbal.

MESSAGES->author
ananthd (IP Logged)
17 July, 2017 20:40
How could I have forgotten the historic win in Pak! My bad....

Ofcourse the NZ in the 60s were the little brother to the Aussies and even the 77-78 Aus tour was marred by the WSC defections with Bobby Simpson coming back....

Anyway, I don't want to come across as a boor....

All I'm saying, Kohli is incredibly assertive, combative guy, unlike almost anyone like before him except Dada, but Kohli is unequivocally the best player in almost all forms of the game(T20 can be debated) and therefore is a much more powerful figure....

Therefore he's the wildcard...

So only in that sense I give a slight nod to Shastri as he seems more easy going with players and these players unlike even 10 years back are gazillionaires so it maybe a little better to take the backseat a bit...

I have no horses in this game, Shastri or Kumble, i really don't care as long as India wins....

Akbar
Akbar (IP Logged)
31 July, 2017 01:45
And India are winning. Lot of cricket to be played in this series though. Who are next opponents after SL series gets over?

MESSAGES->author
Birbal (IP Logged)
31 July, 2017 22:34
South Africa IN South Africa...though BCCI is trying to squeeze in a HOME series against Lanka too... WHY?????? Seems like total overkill...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net