cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Somerset will or won't be Champions of the CC1 in

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
Grockles.com
Deja Vu v Durham
Grockles.com (IP Logged)
06 September, 2011 16:00
What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2011 11:41 by Grockle.

MESSAGES->author
Re: Deja Vu v Durham
Scrumper (IP Logged)
06 September, 2011 16:06
Huh (Sm105)

MESSAGES->author
CB40 Durham Sunday!!
Grockle (IP Logged)
29 August, 2011 18:50
Says it all really. Enjoy!

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2011 11:27 by Grockle.

Grizzzly
Re: CB40 Durham Sunday!!
Grizzzly (IP Logged)
29 August, 2011 19:15
You'll have to get your connection from Muscat wired pretty quickly Grockle !

Weds-Sun look just a trifle important for our 2011 aspirations !

Grizzzly

The Cake Taster
Botham (IP Logged)
29 August, 2011 20:14
Alas my family will also be absent, as I have a stand at the Dorset County Show, so not even able to watch on TV.

Tumbles
Tumbles (IP Logged)
29 August, 2011 20:32
Two questions.. as a T20 member does that class me as able to get a discounted rate (we got no information with our membership, I had to discover I could use the bar etc during T20 games..)

and b) the usual 13:45 start? I have a wedding reception in Northampton on Saturday and am thinking it's going to have to be a early sunday morning..

Wickham
Wickham (IP Logged)
29 August, 2011 20:35
Oman; Dorset County Show - is there no end to the globe-trotting exploits of Grocklees?

MESSAGES->author
Big Jim (IP Logged)
29 August, 2011 20:39
I'll be going down Asda in Llanelli.

marky
Mark (IP Logged)
29 August, 2011 20:48
Should be a good game, Somerset outplayed us in both CC games this season so maybe we are due a good performance against your team...or maybe not!

wsm fan
wsm fan (IP Logged)
29 August, 2011 21:20
12.45 start as its september.

Durham potentially finishing a 4 day game in Hove at 6pm Saturday so shows how vital getting home draw was, not great preparation for Durham.

MESSAGES->author
Big Jim (IP Logged)
29 August, 2011 21:29
A shame they weren't playing oop North.

cricketjerry-mouse
cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
30 August, 2011 06:56
While we will be missing Craig Kieswetter on Sunday, Durham will be without Ben Stokes - both away on England ODI duty.

Expect they will include a certain Gareth Breese though.

MESSAGES->author
Big Jim (IP Logged)
30 August, 2011 07:25
Cheers CjM, on reading that name I am having to go for a long lie down in a darkened room......where's my morphine?

Bobstan
Bobstan (IP Logged)
30 August, 2011 07:54
Don't forget to come back out of the room this time, BJ.

MESSAGES->author
Big Jim (IP Logged)
30 August, 2011 08:02
I've stocked up on necessities just in case, Bobs.
That day in Taunton...that terrible Saturday(I think).
It was as bad as it gets, as bad as the snatching defeat from the jaws of victory performance a year or so later against Hampshire.
How I don't miss those days, anybody who longs for them needs to remember the pain.

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
30 August, 2011 09:17
Unless Pete (or A N Other) can get us off to a flier when we bat, then they should surely move Jos up the order - say to number four - for next Sunday to try and maximise his crease time.

It's a strong and experienced Durham one-day batting line-up so I'd imagine we will either need to set a stiff total or chase down a pretty large one. Either way, let's get Jos to the crease earlier unless we've managed to really beat the hell out of them in the power-play.

RobboG
RobboG (IP Logged)
30 August, 2011 10:20
If Tres is missing along with Kieswetter, which appears likely, I would wish for Jos to bat at number 3. I'm thinking Arul should open with Trego, then Compton at 4 and James at 5 with Meschede and Jones filling 6 and 7

Loyal of Lhasa.
Loyal of Lhasa. (IP Logged)
30 August, 2011 10:42
I too will be on an exotic mission all day on Sunday and unable to follow the match. I trust somebody can text me the occasional score flash, improving the scores if necessary.

LoL

Sixty-six Seasons a Somerset Supporter

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
30 August, 2011 10:42
I strongly suspect that they will open with Compton, rather than Arul, though I personally do not disagree with you, Robbo.

I suspect we might see Pete and Compton open and that Meschede would then be sent out if a wicket falls in the power-play. If not, then number three might be Hildreth, or Jones. I really hope we do get Jos promoted up the order but fear that they might be in the "he's done such a good job as a finisher, that we should not move him for anything other than a 10 over type game,' type of mind-set.

Of course, if they move Jos up the order and then he does not score many, then some will probably criticise them. But, personally, I never think that giving your best players scope to maximise their crease time is a bad idea. And we surely have to adjust to absences of Marcus/Craig K.

nelliec
nelliec (IP Logged)
30 August, 2011 10:57
Murali hasn't done a bad job at 3 in the two games he's been askedto do he job?

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
30 August, 2011 10:59
He hasn't. Very effective, in fact.

I tend to think, though, that Murali is at his best, with the bat, against slow bowling and the odd medium pacer, rather than quicker bowlers.

Both of his games at three have come against the same opponent - one which seldom fields quick bowlers in one-day cricket.

But Kartik at three might very well be something that management would consider for next Sunday.

RobboG
RobboG (IP Logged)
30 August, 2011 11:08
I think we are in agreement about Arul, Agod and yes, they may indeed plump for Compton as an opener, but I just think Arul has something to prove as a one day opener. He's not simply a grafter, he has the capacity to strike the new ball hard....apart from the Essex pro 40 s-f of last year I can't recollect another time he has made a difference at number 7.

I also think that - even though he is not everyone's favourite - Compton has nailed the number 4 spot this year in the c40.

Meschede has been used at 3, so will probably be used there again, but it is time to be brave so I would put Jos at 3 and Meschede at 6 after James....but luckily for me I don't have to face the consequences if this doesn't work out!

RobboG
RobboG (IP Logged)
30 August, 2011 11:13
That's true, kartik at 3 is another option...

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
30 August, 2011 11:28
Yep, Robbo, Arul probably a bit under-utilised in one-day stuff as a batsman, I feel.

Coming in after the man who is almost never dismissed in Pro 40 (Jos) does not help him in that regard!

I suppose such is the outcome of having an embarrassment of riches in the one-day batting department.

Still, this should provide a chance to give Arul his head.

I remember Arul turning in a man of the match performance at the Oval, some years ago, batting at number 3 when I think he made either 78 or 87 to win the game for us. So he can contribute higher up the order (or at least could.)

Like you, I struggle to think of too many games that he has influenced from down the order. There was a T20 game at Edgbaston which was important at the time (needed to win to qualify) in which Arul and Omari Banks nearly got us to a winning total, but I’m not sure I can add anything else to the example which you cited.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
30 August, 2011 15:58
Arul is certainly wasted wh they are playing him at the moment with no time to settle or develop the innings. He is a batsman who can accelerate and push on but only if he is given time. James isn't doing that job at all effectively at the moment and I also think it is time to move the world record holder up the order to give him time at the crease while others play around him and he supports before the push at the end.

(Sm72)

bob andrews
old boy! (IP Logged)
30 August, 2011 17:51
I do hope TRES is OK for Sunday. However, as I see it if he plays and breaksdown we will only be allowed 10 on the field - is that correct?

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
30 August, 2011 19:24
Yes, but I'm afraid that it's surely very unlikely that Marcus would be available anyway.

Edit: Just read the fabulous news on the other thread!!!

The answer to the first part of the question remains 'yes,' though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/08/2011 19:38 by AGod.

Streeter
Streeter (IP Logged)
31 August, 2011 10:03
Er.. what fabulous news ? Which other thread ???

Chinaman
Chinaman (IP Logged)
31 August, 2011 10:07
I think he means the fabulous rumour that Marcus just has a slight limp and will be OK. Which I think has since been scotched.

The club is waiting on a scan, but since Marcus is not in the current match, I think we can conclude that the injury must be pretty serious.

Streeter
Streeter (IP Logged)
31 August, 2011 10:10
Thanks China

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net