cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Somerset will or won't be Champions of the CC1 in

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Ronniesabre
Re: CB40 Durham Sunday!!
Ronniesabre (IP Logged)
31 August, 2011 10:11
you have to wonder where HTV got the info that he was okay?

Or maybe they have obtained a scoop on this and it just hasnt been formally announced (clutching at straws)

Chinaman
Chinaman (IP Logged)
31 August, 2011 11:16
Marcus himself said he "heard something go" as he turned, so probably there is something more serious that demands at least extended rest. Especially since he was already carrying an injury, by all accounts.

Zyder head
Zyder head (IP Logged)
31 August, 2011 21:41
I have always thought that Arul should occupy the same postion in the pro40 team that he does in the championship so this may be his opportunity.He strikes the ball cleanly and people forget you do not have to hit the ball over the top in the power play as you can score runs by playing traditional shots along the ground as Arul does in the championship.He quite often scores quicker than banger when they bat together.Tregs has to open and I would promote Meschede to 3 rather than have him bat,possibly with the tail,lower down the order as this is what Jos does so well.Having Meschede at the top also takes the pressure off him and gives him licence to throw his arms if needs be as there are people that can bat below him rather than the other way around. I have been watching Somerset long enough to know that is not likely to happen though.....lol

MESSAGES->author
Scrumper (IP Logged)
31 August, 2011 23:29
Arul needs to bat with gay abandon in quick cricket.

MESSAGES->author
Big Jim (IP Logged)
31 August, 2011 23:33
Is he one of our academy player, fRed?

MESSAGES->author
Scrumper (IP Logged)
31 August, 2011 23:51
No, he's a very naughty boy.

Bobstan
Bobstan (IP Logged)
01 September, 2011 08:53
That's disappointing. I'd heard he was the Messiah.
Arul Messiah perhaps?

Loyal of Lhasa.
Loyal of Lhasa. (IP Logged)
01 September, 2011 11:45
I'm getting confused between Messiah and Supchede.
(doesn't take much)

LoL

Sixty-six Seasons a Somerset Supporter

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
02 September, 2011 07:13
The info floating about yesterday before I left the ground was that Marcus was VERY doubtful for Sunday...and little better for the Headingley game.

Looking at the way the Hampshire one was going this will not be much of a problem because the CC1 push seems to have stalled through a pairing of poor luck on the pitch and even poorer luck off it.

The Sunday game may well be our last tilt at the last windmill....

(Sm72)

cricketjerry-mouse
cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
02 September, 2011 07:49
Durham`s leading batsman, Michael Di Venuto, retired hurt after being hit on the elbow by a ball from Wayne Parnell at Hove yesterday, but expects to be fit for Sunday`s semi-final.

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
02 September, 2011 09:13
Quote:
Grockle
The info floating about yesterday before I left the ground was that Marcus was VERY doubtful for Sunday...and little better for the Headingley game.
Looking at the way the Hampshire one was going this will not be much of a problem because the CC1 push seems to have stalled through a pairing of poor luck on the pitch and even poorer luck off it.

The Sunday game may well be our last tilt at the last windmill....

Poor luck and/or poor planning. Whether it was poor planning depends on whether or not there was any financial alternative to going into the season with no experienced cover for any position in the CC first XI?

I do not know enough about the finances to know whether or not there was an alternative but, if there was, then I think it is the case that planning was poor. After all, we knew Alf would be away. It was not exactly inconceivable that Craig K would get an international recall and it should never be the case that the notion that we would sustain injuries to first XI players should be considered inconceivable.

And I do realise that SCCC have done a very good job in recent years with injury prevention but, still, nobody can ever expect to be perfect in that regard.

Chinaman
Chinaman (IP Logged)
02 September, 2011 16:32
I still don't understand why we passed on the opportunity to sign Thornely earlier in the season. He has scored well for the Unicorns this season, and could have been useful cover at this point.

nelliec
nelliec (IP Logged)
02 September, 2011 18:39
Form is a great thing so why not gamble on sunday with Murali and Alf at 1 and 2. Arul is obviously struggling, and if Murali and Alf both perform half as well as they have done with the bat this week why not??

Chinaman
Chinaman (IP Logged)
02 September, 2011 18:51
Looks like a good idea, judging by this match.

Tell you what - let's just turn the whole batting order upside down:

Kartik, Thomas, Waller (double hundred for the 2nds this season), Kirby (blocked well for a while in the 1st inns, can hit a few), Meschede, Trego, Buttler, Hildreth, Compton (to steady things at the death), Suppiah at 10, and Marcus, if fit enough to stand, can bat at 11.

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
02 September, 2011 19:52
I think it will be Pete and, if fit, Compton to open. If Pete is out during the power play then I think they will send Craig M to replace him.

Norwich SCCC
Norwich SCCC (IP Logged)
02 September, 2011 22:08
Any news on Nick? Despite his dodgy running I think we need him on Sunday. Its arguably our biggest game of the season now.

SheptonPaul
SheptonPaul (IP Logged)
02 September, 2011 22:25
Marcus on one leg at 11 - could give Charl a run for this money!

Chinaman
Chinaman (IP Logged)
02 September, 2011 22:39
I think Marcus on one leg would give anybody in the team a run for their money, in batting terms. I'd back him.

samaithai2
samaithai2 (IP Logged)
03 September, 2011 06:02
Nick said on commentary yesterday maybe. Did not sound to confident.

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
03 September, 2011 06:31
Quote:
SheptonPaul
Marcus on one leg at 11 - could give Charl a run for this money!

Wouldn't be able to get to square leg as quickly if on one peg!

Mike BOS
Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
03 September, 2011 08:21
Somerset will be without captain Marcus Trescothick for their Clydesdale Bank 40 semi-final against Durham. [www.lords.org]

LordHester
LordHester (IP Logged)
03 September, 2011 08:42
I'm not sure that Lords.org piece tells us a lot either way, Mike – looks like it was put together just from info culled from the internet, rather than down to any inside knowledge.

Mike BOS
Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
03 September, 2011 08:54
Lets hope so and we have a pleasant surprise tomorrow.

cricketjerry-mouse
cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
03 September, 2011 14:27
Lewis Gregory is fit to return to the Somerset one-day side for tomorrow`s semi-final, but Nick Compton remains side-lined by injury. Chris Jones wil open the batting with Arul Suppiah.

Team: Jones, Suppiah, Trego, Hildreth, Buttler, Meschede, Gregory, Thomas, Kartik, Dockrell, Kirby.

Durham opening batsman Michael Di Venuto, who was hit on the elbow batting in the first innings against Sussex on Wednesday, will have a late fitness test.

Norwich SCCC
Norwich SCCC (IP Logged)
03 September, 2011 15:29
It will be a tough test for the boys tomorrow. It looks as if our strength will be our bowling looking at the line up.

One thing that is in our favour is that Durham will have spent over a week on their travels at the end of a long season. Lets send them home with a beating!

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
03 September, 2011 15:43
Great news about Lewis. If he and Dockrell are on song and Kartik and Thomas at their best, then we may be able to cover up for potentially suspect batting strength.

I cannot understand why Pete would not be opening, having done so on Monday, though?

Suppiah and Jones may not be the most dynamic tandem, in the power-play?

And didn't Jones do perfectly well lower down the order on Monday?

Odd.

ronnies
ronnies (IP Logged)
03 September, 2011 15:58
I think this may be the order if we win the toss and bat first. If they bat first and get a big score I would imagine Trego would have to go in first. The game may dictate changes in the order.

May also be they want to keep the "big 3" right in the middle order

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
03 September, 2011 16:06
I suppose, thinking about it, Onions will be a much quicker new ball bowler than anything that Essex would have had to offer on Monday, so they are looking to orthodox openers to deal with that?

geordie moonraker
geordie moonraker (IP Logged)
03 September, 2011 17:01
Pete opened with Marcus.That meant 2 potential quick scorers.For Pete to open with someone else puts all the pressure on him. There is no reason why Jones and Suppiah can't score 7 an over playing perfectly orthodox attacking strokes against opening bowlers. I shall continue to say-in the same way that OB wants spinners- that 4 scoring shots an over of 2 each gives 320 and you don't lose many games with that score on the board.
Having said that I must admit that Durham should be favourites tomorrow- and that cannot be a bad thing

Norwich SCCC
Norwich SCCC (IP Logged)
03 September, 2011 17:11
I very much agree with your last sentence, GM.

In all of our finals and second places we have been favourites to win and that has an added pressure. Being second favourites and without our iconic player may help us to relax in a bizarre kind of way.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net