cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Somerset will or won't be Champions of the CC1 in

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

AGod
Re: CB40 Durham Sunday!!
AGod (IP Logged)
03 September, 2011 18:54
The opening tandem is two guys who themselves are likely to feel under pressure, though, GM, as they'll each be going into it after double failures vs Hants?

The Cake Taster
Botham (IP Logged)
03 September, 2011 19:01
We ought to be able to bring Kieswetter back, as we would for the final. It's ridiculous to be so short for such a big game.

marky
Mark (IP Logged)
03 September, 2011 19:21
I agree that Durham probably are favourites considering you have been forced to play a weakened team but Durham are a highly unpredictable one day side. We can be brilliant or absolutely terrible.

I don't think Diva will be fit, Gordon Muchall is probably favourite to replace him but I'd prefer Will Smith.
We opened with Callum Thorp against Surrey, probably to split up the left-handers at the top of the order and to try and upset Surrey's opening bowling plans. It worked in the sense that we got off to a flyer but that was down to Phil Mustard. Collingwood & Benkenstein are imo two very good bowlers in one day cricket but Colly had a back spasm a few weeks ago and Benks has not been bowling much of late.

Hope the weather is kind and it's a good game.

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
03 September, 2011 19:39
Confidence amongst our batsmen is liable to be low, Mark.

They were accused of a lack of application by the Director of Cricket last Saturday and a lack of mental strength by the coach after this week's game.

I think we will need to bowl particularly well to win.

I wouldn't be too shocked if we have tried to prepare a turning track...

wsm fan
wsm fan (IP Logged)
03 September, 2011 19:46
I have a good feelig about tomorrow.

Yes we were poor this week but this is a HUGE home one day semi.
Yes we are without Tres, CK and Compo but that's only 3 from our first choice 11 (if Nick is in that 11?)
We have plenty of other match winners and if enough of them show up we have every chance.
We've arguably the most in form one day batsmen in the country in Jos, and if on their day Murali and Alfie are exceptional one day bowlers.

It's going to be a test of character but this is the time for Tregs, Arul, Hildy to step up as batters at top of the order and take responsibility to getting us a total.

Forecast looking ok so fingers crossed for a big crowd and everyone getting behind us to yet ANOTHER one day final.....

cricketjerry-mouse
cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
03 September, 2011 19:48
The latest from the Durham camp is that Michael Di Venuto is now looking very doubtful, as mark suggested earlier on this thread. He will be replaced by Gordon Muchall, not Will Smith as mark had hoped.

Durham played three spinners against Surrey at The Oval last Monday - the three `Bs`, Blackwell, Borthwick and Breese - and may do so again. It would probably mean leaving out Mitch Claydon, as his fellow fast bowler Callum Thorp also had a role as a pinch-hitter at The Oval.

geordie moonraker
geordie moonraker (IP Logged)
03 September, 2011 19:56
I take your point AG but I was thinking of Pete being under pressure to score quickly. Jones and Suppiah are not there as the fast scorers so a 25 at a run a ball is a good result for them whereas going in first with a non fast scorer would give Pete the mind set of 30 off 15.

MESSAGES->author
Big Jim (IP Logged)
03 September, 2011 21:35
The weather here has been absolutely shocking all day, the rain was so heavy at the rugby it was nigh on impossible to tell who was who.
I hope it stays dry and we're treated to a great game.
And an even greater Somerset victory.

West Country Gooner
03 September, 2011 22:02
It will be a huge achievement if we win this match given the circumstances and the absentees

The Cake Taster
Botham (IP Logged)
03 September, 2011 22:11
Have a great day everyone and sing 'drink up thee cider' for me. I'm manning my stand at the Dorset County Show, where mobile reception isn't too good, so I'll be a little nervous.

I'm sure the weather will be fine. We haven't seen any rain today, but I think it's coming overnight, leaving it mostly dry with sunny periods, tomorrow.

Zyder head
Zyder head (IP Logged)
03 September, 2011 22:42
Totally agree with AGod and don`t really see the logic in dropping Tregs down a place after getting a score last week? Maybe promote Meschede and give him free reign as they tried earlier in the season? Jones,as well as he did last week in holding the innings together,did struggle to manouver the ball around and find the gaps so I suppose batting in the power play gives him the opportunity to play his shots and he may be better against quicker bowlers rather than spin so that may make sense, but the old adage "if it aint broke......."
If we are to win this it will be through our bowling.Last monday I thought we had enough runs on the board due to Essex being weak in their batting.Different team tommorrow but I think we can put the squeeze on Durham and beat them in a tight finish if we bat first but I see rain is forecast for late afternoon/early evening now so should we bat if we win the toss??..... Que sera sera (as long as we don`t lose any wickets due to shouldering arms!!.....)

Mike BOS
Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
04 September, 2011 09:10
Because the weather forecast is not good today some may wonder about the rules this is a reminder.

16.1 Hours of Play
16.1.1 Normal hours of play for daytime matches will be
1.45pm – 7.30pm (12.45pm – 6.30pm in all matches in
September – ie the semi-finals). No extra time is
allocated to group matches. 30 minutes of extra time is
allocated to each semi-final on both scheduled day and
reserve day to make up for any time lost.

wsm fan
wsm fan (IP Logged)
04 September, 2011 09:55
reserve day, hadnt realised that.....

wsm fan
wsm fan (IP Logged)
04 September, 2011 10:04
Hows TA1 weather looking at present, bbc suggests dry up until 6/7pm so may get most of it in???

Mike BOS
Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
04 September, 2011 10:09
It is sunny with cloud building up at this moment.

Norwich SCCC
Norwich SCCC (IP Logged)
04 September, 2011 12:56
I was about to compliment Jones on his run saving but now he has a run-out. Great stuff from the youngster!

Wickham
Wickham (IP Logged)
04 September, 2011 13:11
Yes - Jones has fielded like a demon so far. And the bowling has mostly been excellent - including the ball from Kirby which dismissed Muchall.

madglover
madglover (IP Logged)
04 September, 2011 13:15
Good start, I say as we concede a 4. I'd typically be down there but having had my season ruined yesterday and watched enough of the Hampshire game to feel a bit sick I felt I needed time away from cricket

I'd love us to win this competition and we have a chance I'd say. Would prefer to play Surrey in the final as Sussex seem to have more of a winning mentality.

Norwich SCCC
Norwich SCCC (IP Logged)
04 September, 2011 13:35
TREEEEEGO!

Mustard and Collingwood out in the same over - Durham 44/4!

Norwich SCCC
Norwich SCCC (IP Logged)
04 September, 2011 13:42
Benkenstein dropped on 0 by MK at first slip - tough chance and hope it won't be too costly.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
04 September, 2011 13:44
Well I'm watching you lot and enjoying the Blackwell Trego show with Marcus on commentary.

44-4 and MK has just dropped Benkenstein... more than expected I have to say.

Can't see all of it but will keep on it as long as I can.

BJ....thanks for onlinefooty - this is better than I could have expected!!

(Sm72)

Wickham
Wickham (IP Logged)
04 September, 2011 13:44
A great start . And we could have had both Blenkenstein and Blackwell when they were each on nought.

LordHester
LordHester (IP Logged)
04 September, 2011 13:57
Lewis Gregory not bowling today?

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
04 September, 2011 14:11
I would have thought he would have been on by now if he was LordH. They may try him with a couple if things start to go pear shaped but have to doubt it.

Presently a bit of the Dale and Ian show...hope they change the two lefty bowler option before they get away!

(Sm72)

LordHester
LordHester (IP Logged)
04 September, 2011 14:18
Odd issue with the run out appeal for Blackie. Looked like Sky weren't paying attention!

LordHester
LordHester (IP Logged)
04 September, 2011 14:24
Robert Croft on Blackwell: "All the body weight going into that shot - could've gone a long way that."

Norwich SCCC
Norwich SCCC (IP Logged)
04 September, 2011 14:32
Two quick wickets including Blackie. Did we ever need them - 130/6.

Wickham
Wickham (IP Logged)
04 September, 2011 14:58
A useful partnership - and now Borthwick dropped by Suppiah off Trego (who has bowled well today).

LordHester
LordHester (IP Logged)
04 September, 2011 15:00
Hope Arul wakes up before he's due out to bat!

Norwich SCCC
Norwich SCCC (IP Logged)
04 September, 2011 15:30
Durham 219 all out after 38.5 overs - I'd have taken that before play.

We did well enough in the field with only a couple of lapses and I thought our seamers did a great job.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net