cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Somerset will or won't be Champions of the CC1 in

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

marky
Re: CB40 Durham Sunday!!
Mark (IP Logged)
04 September, 2011 18:49
Thanks mikeindex and Bobstan, I normally use cricket-match-special.com. It's a friendly site, well moderated. There is a fair bit of leg-pulling and banter ( about Lancashire and their dodgy pitches for example!) but it's all good-natured. Not many Somerset fans post there, I'd say the most active domestic discussions are on Hampshire & Durham.
A certain Middlesex 'supporter' familiar to many is there but unable to indulge in his usual antics.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2011 18:52 by Mark.

MESSAGES->author
Big Jim (IP Logged)
04 September, 2011 18:50
Somerset CCC
The finest team in the land.
Bar none.

edinburghbil
edinburghbil (IP Logged)
04 September, 2011 18:55
Wickets looked like falling when their spinners were bowling. Trigger looked fortunate not to be lbw. James looked unfortunate too, but there were quite a few alarms.

Ours didn't look like taking wickets and were expensive too.

Still who cares really!

LordHester
LordHester (IP Logged)
04 September, 2011 18:57
We will, of course, be playing against Zander in the final - as long as he's not cleared off to the Champions League this year.

Wickham
Wickham (IP Logged)
04 September, 2011 18:58
Thank you, Mart for your generous comments.

Well done to the team on a magnificent performance. I thought that they out-bowled, out-fielded and out-batted Durham. The seam bowlers were all impressive - it was good to see PT bowl so well (his figures did him no favours) after he hadn't bowled much in recent limited overs games.

Suppiah batted beautifully and must surely have staked a claim for a regular opener's slot. Jones also impressed and was unlucky to play on. Trego did exactly what was needed: he kept the score moving, but - crucially - made sure he didn't get himself out.

Does anyone know who was Man of the Match - I would have given it to Trego for his all-round performance.

mikeindex
mikeindex (IP Logged)
04 September, 2011 19:04
Commentators were guessing Suppiah for MoM - well as he batted, my choice would be between Trego and Benkenstein.
(I have no patience with the view that the finest individual performance in a match must automatically come from the winning side, particularly as by definition performances for the losing side often come against stiffer opposition).

LordHester
LordHester (IP Logged)
04 September, 2011 19:04
You got your wish, Wickham - Trigger was Man of the Match.

mikeindex
mikeindex (IP Logged)
04 September, 2011 19:05
Trego got it. Good.

LordHester
LordHester (IP Logged)
04 September, 2011 19:16
Is it a worry that this great performance came in a game when, for the first time in a major match for ages, we weren't favourites to win. Echoing sentiments on this thread before the game started, it might have suited us to be underdogs - so what happens if we're built up to be favourites again in the next fortnight?

Wickham
Wickham (IP Logged)
04 September, 2011 19:28
Quote:
Big Jim
Somerset CCC
The finest team in the land.
Bar none.

Apart from the team having reached the last four one-day finals and being second in last year's County Championship, what evidence do you have for that, BJ?!

Clarence Parker
Clarence Parker (IP Logged)
04 September, 2011 19:47
Congratulations to all at Somerset CCC.

I have just caught up with the good news.

Very, very well done, and good luck in the final.

rodders12
rodders (IP Logged)
04 September, 2011 19:47
Oh dear Wickham you have made my mistake of being logical.

Best watch out ( though in fairness BJ and I have agreed to disagree and have buried the hatchett with no hard feelings ! )

Norwich SCCC
Norwich SCCC (IP Logged)
04 September, 2011 19:50
Here is George Dobell's take on the game - makes pretty good reading.

[www.espncricinfo.com]

SheptonPaul
SheptonPaul (IP Logged)
04 September, 2011 20:31
Excellent team performance today, really good all-round effort. Well done also to Mark - just the sort of supporter cricket (and all sports) needs.

We should have CK and NC back for Final - Marcus wouldn't commit on Sky after the match - I still reckon he'll be doubtful with that sort of injury (esp as, if we field first and it goes again, he may not get a runner). They'll have Dernbach back and I wouldn't be surprised if KP is lured by Lord's. The Oval was a raging turner today - hope Lord's will be a proper track, for both sides.

Of course, we're still an average side, none of whose players are any good and we need to build a new team in the winter - mustn't kid ourselves. winking smiley

Wickham
Wickham (IP Logged)
04 September, 2011 20:59
I am afraid that my tongue was in my cheek, Rodders.

It wasn't aimed as a dig at you - I hope that you will continue to post as well as to lurk.

I very much doubt that Tres will play again this season. Not only might he fail to finish the match, but much more importantly he could suffer a serious injury which could have a long-term impact.

Mike BOS
Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
04 September, 2011 21:59
Today’s photos.

A good win a shame about the weather.
The fielding started out brilliantly a few errors later on but who cares when we win, Ian Blackwell got one of the biggest cheers when he came out to bat and when fielding people were having a bit of fun with him.

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/1224/asuppiahoffpcollingwood.jpg

Arul Suppiah showed what he can do as an opener in one day matches, a bit of a near miss in the photo off the bowling of Paul Collingwood.

http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/8566/cjonesbldcthorp.jpg

Another player who played well today Chris Jones, in the photo it looked like the ball came off of his bat hit the pad and trickled onto the stumps, my view was obscured by the wicketkeeper when the ball hit the stumps.

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/5397/dbenkensteinoffthomas.jpg

Alfonso Thomas got his Yorkers working today even Steve Kirby managed a few; this was Benkenstein digging one out off Thomas.

http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/9789/mclaydonbldskirby.jpg

M Claydon played what looked like a loose shot and was bowled by Steve Kirby.

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/2636/mstonemrunoutbychrisjon.jpg

M Stoneman was run out by Chris Jones it looked like either batsman could have been run out.

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/2857/pmustardctcmeschedebldp.jpg

Craig Meschede look well pleased as do the crowd behind him after he caught Phil Mustard off the bowling of Peter Trego.

Norwich SCCC
Norwich SCCC (IP Logged)
04 September, 2011 22:12
Great photos as ever, Mike.

Blackie did get a great reception when he came out, and also had a bit of laugh with the fielders when George 'copped an unfortunate'.

Mike BOS
Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
04 September, 2011 22:41
This article made me have a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes, it is so positive (TIC) I wondered if Jig Jim had written it.

The period in the late 70s and early 80s is generally referred to as the 'glory days' of Somerset cricket. But perhaps that theory will have to be reviewed. For while the current Somerset side has yet to clinch the trophy their domestic dominance deserves, there has never been a period in the club's history when the team has challenged so consistently across so many competitions. A good case could be made to suggest that this is the golden age of Somerset cricket. [www.espncricinfo.com]

geordie moonraker
geordie moonraker (IP Logged)
04 September, 2011 22:58
I've stopped off half way back to Geordie land and my Somerset tie will be worn with pride after today's splendid performance.I'm beginning to rate Mr Jones with bat and in the field.

Can I point out as a matter of self boosting that my post yesterday said that there was no reason why Jones and Suppiah couldn't score at 7 an over playing orthodox shots!!!!

Norwich SCCC
Norwich SCCC (IP Logged)
04 September, 2011 23:03
Quote:
geordie moonraker
Pete opened with Marcus.That meant 2 potential quick scorers.For Pete to open with someone else puts all the pressure on him. There is no reason why Jones and Suppiah can't score 7 an over playing perfectly orthodox attacking strokes against opening bowlers. I shall continue to say-in the same way that OB wants spinners- that 4 scoring shots an over of 2 each gives 320 and you don't lose many games with that score on the board.
Having said that I must admit that Durham should be favourites tomorrow- and that cannot be a bad thing

You certainly did, GM. Good call.

wsm fan
wsm fan (IP Logged)
04 September, 2011 23:16
I heard today that Arul had a bit of a strop Monday at not being further up the order, threw his toys (kit) around on the balcony, literally!

He certainly put his case forward today for a spot higher up the order. I've always felt that Arul could do the job Compton does at 3 or 4 when we have a fully fit batting line up.
My ideal top 8 would be, Tres, Kies, Tregs, Arul, Hildy, Jos, Meschede, Lewis

Bowlers then Alfie, Kartik (Max next year)/Kirby/Dockrell

Bagpuss
Bagpuss (IP Logged)
05 September, 2011 00:00
Surrey's Pietersen may be tempted by the lure of a Lords final; he would be less tempted by the presence of not one, not two but THREE left arm spinners in Somerset's likely team. (Sm23)

averageside
smallfrysom (IP Logged)
05 September, 2011 04:13
"Social Skills"?(Sm120) You know nothing Mr Index

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2011 06:40 by averageside.

Grizzzly
Grizzzly (IP Logged)
05 September, 2011 04:30
Very average post - must be time for bed averageside !

Grizzzly

mikeindex
mikeindex (IP Logged)
05 September, 2011 06:37
That's right averageside, an average side is one which consistently finishes second. Out of 18.
Your maths is clearly on a level with your reasoning power and your social skills.

rodders12
rodders (IP Logged)
05 September, 2011 06:58
Don't averageside and grizzly ever go to bed - posting at just after 4 in the morning ??

Bobstan
Bobstan (IP Logged)
05 September, 2011 07:28
Grizzzly's 'excuse' that he is in a different part of the world seems to me unanswerable, rodders.

The clue is in his name.

mikeindex
mikeindex (IP Logged)
05 September, 2011 07:45
On the contrary, Mr Side, I know many things.
I know that 2 is not the average of 1 and 18.
I know what was in your last posting before you wisely deleted what was an extraordinarily inane and petty observation even by your standards.
I know 'unknowledgeable' isn't a word - I think the word you were after on that occasion, appropriately enough, was 'ignorant'.
And I know that you are not worth wasting any more of my time on.

Mike BOS
Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
05 September, 2011 08:46
With Grockle not being online all the time I would like to point out that Grockle likes posters when they edit a post to put the reason for the edit.

Example.

Edit – To correct a spelling mistake.

Ronniesabre
Ronniesabre (IP Logged)
05 September, 2011 11:24
must admit, those back foot punches through the off-side that Suppiah plays are a thing of beauty. Does anyone play them better?

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net