cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Time to the New Year

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Current Page: 1 of 22
2016/2017 England winter tours.
Bagpuss (IP Logged)
11 September, 2016 21:25
Has just been confirmed by the ECB that Eoin Morgan and Alex Hales have made themselves unavailable to tour Bangladesh in October.

Vice captain Jos Buttler will captain in the ODIs/T20s.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/01/2017 04:57 by Grockle.

Re: England winter tours.
AGod (IP Logged)
12 September, 2016 06:27
Hopefully we'll never have to pick Morgan again. With luck others will grab their chance.

geordie moonraker (IP Logged)
12 September, 2016 06:46
I think it was Chris Jordan quoted as saying that if Morgan didn't go it wouldn't weaken the batting.

Grockle (IP Logged)
12 September, 2016 07:22
Quite a lot would have to happen to weaken our batting at the moment...bowling I'm not so sure about.

(Sm72)

Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
12 September, 2016 11:01
How much weaker would the bowling be if Jordan were not to play?

A great opportunity awaits for Buttler to demonstrate his superior cricket brain and leadership skills along with his wonderful batting.

LoL

Sixty-nine Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Grockle (IP Logged)
12 September, 2016 11:10
Most expect Batty to be the spin option...can't understand that myself but there you go.

(Sm72)

mikeindex (IP Logged)
12 September, 2016 14:38
I guess you can't omit a player just for being obnoxious, but Batty is 38 and has had a not too bad but far from brilliant season.
Come to think of it, you can actually, can't you?
The only realistic alternative I can see to our boy is Rayner, who has also had an excellent season and is a top-class slip. Why are people talking about Batty and, for heaven's sake, Dawson, and not talking about him?

Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
12 September, 2016 18:59
To be fair, I think they are talking about Jack, tho he's not favourite.

mikeindex (IP Logged)
12 September, 2016 19:13
As you say, SP, people are talking about Jack - but mostly to say how he isn't going on tour because Batty and/or Dawson is(/are).

Bagpuss (IP Logged)
12 September, 2016 20:18
Another factor is the only county cricket seen in TV is white ball stuff. So the players that the chattering cricketing classes will be talking about are ones seen in the T20 Blast and RLODC.

Grizzzly (IP Logged)
12 September, 2016 20:54
Quote:
mikeindex
I guess you can't omit a player just for being obnoxious, .....
Come to think of it, you can actually, can't you?

Andy Caddick wouldn't fall into my book as being 'obnoxious', but I seem to recall he was left out of a Test squad for 'not fitting in'.

Personally, I'd rather share a dressing room with a pile of decaying manure, than sit anywhere near Mr Batty.

Grizzzly

AGod (IP Logged)
12 September, 2016 22:11
Not just one Test squad but every Test squad under the inept ministrations of one A J Stewart esquire.

mikeindex (IP Logged)
12 September, 2016 22:25
Quote:
Grizzzly
Personally, I'd rather share a dressing room with a pile of decaying manure, than sit anywhere near Mr Batty.

Actually at minor-club level in Somerset that tends to happen quite a lot.

Grockle (IP Logged)
13 September, 2016 03:15
It seems the reason for NOT talking about Jack is because he hasn't been 'somewhere' in a winter, whatevet the hell that means! Has Dawson? It seems thay until Jack has done 'something' abroad the selectors don't look.

(Sm72)

AGod (IP Logged)
13 September, 2016 06:29
Well he's been to Australia to play Grade Cricket, I believe (Jack, not the orc that is Batty).

They'd be absolutely daft to pick a second off-spinner unless said player is head and shoulders above the best SLA that they can find.

Where players are roughly of similar standards, it makes far more sense to have variety in your party - to add an SLA to a set-up that already includes an off-spinner and will, presumably, include a wrist-spinner, in the form of Adil Rashid.

More specifically, with reference to Jack Leach, the England party for India is, surely, crying out for a spinner whose stock-in-trade is accuracy? Mo and Adil have their virtues but not even their own mothers could describe them as relentlessly accurate.

On helpful pitches, it is accuracy more so than any other single commodity, which is the most valuable asset. You don't need to be the kind of spinner that gives it a big rip because the pitch will do enough off the surface that a mere tweak of the ball, as opposed to a rip, will get the job done.

AGod (IP Logged)
13 September, 2016 06:30
I think Jimmy and Broad could use a rest, so I'd have thought that Dernbach and Meaker have the look of ready made replacements... Just ask Alec Stewart..

Angell Face (IP Logged)
13 September, 2016 08:37
I don't know why they don't just send Surrey out to the sub-continent and have done with it.

Grockle (IP Logged)
13 September, 2016 08:52
and leave them there of course.

(Sm72)

AGod (IP Logged)
14 September, 2016 11:07
This is My XI for India - any thoughts?

Cook
Gubbins
Root
Bairstow
Stokes
Mo
Rashid
Woakes
Broad
Jack
Jimmy A

This team is loaded with bowling options with 4 front-line quicks backed up by Jack And two other spinners. Importantly they have all three types of 'spin,' base covered.

mikeindex (IP Logged)
14 September, 2016 12:50
I like that XI. Think I'd have a small preference for Jennings over Gubbins.

Current Page: 1 of 22

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net