cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Time to the New Year

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Current Page: 1 of 22
2017 OTHER COUNTY NEWS
Bagpuss (IP Logged)
03 January, 2017 10:15
Reports on Cricinfo that Kyle Abbott likely to retire from international cricket to sign 3 yr deal with Hampshire as a Kolpak.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/01/2017 04:45 by Grockle.

Re: 2017 Other Counties News
mikeindex (IP Logged)
03 January, 2017 23:20
If true, this is sickening.

Clarence Parker (IP Logged)
04 January, 2017 09:25
Really? Even to Hampshire fans? Would you have made the same response if Somerset had signed him?

hantssabre (IP Logged)
04 January, 2017 12:32
A good bowler but can't say I'm totally in favour of it but seeing Topley is now injured again it's looking more like a case of needs must!

Following on (IP Logged)
09 January, 2017 14:35
Cricinfo reporting that Stephen Cook (jimmy's son) has signed as an overseas player for Durham. I had hoped the Cook connection may have opened this signing up for Somerset.

mikeindex (IP Logged)
09 January, 2017 15:14
On reflection my initial reaction was a bit extreme.

Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
09 January, 2017 16:25
Jennings, Richardson & Cook, all sons of South African Test players, all to play for Durham. (That's not a comment, just an observation)

LoL

Sixty-nine Seasons a Somerset Supporter

RadstockRob (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 20:45
South African David Wiese has signed a three year Kolpak contract with Sussex and Glamorgan are in the running to sign Marchant De Lange on a Kolpak deal.

nelliec (IP Logged)
14 January, 2017 20:33
Story on cricinfo that ABV is considering giving up test cricket to concentrate on the one -day stuff. I'm sure many of the top counties , including ourselves, would be falling over backwards to sign him for the T20 and anything else.Also mentioned was the word 'Kolpak', but as he will still be playing the one day stuff for SA this wouldn't be an option I presume.

cricketharris (IP Logged)
15 January, 2017 17:05
I presume when we get out of the EU Kolpakers will be a thing of the past.

JuliaW (IP Logged)
15 January, 2017 21:45
In theory yes.

In reality who knows what will happen!

Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
23 January, 2017 15:03
Stephen Cook (Jimmy's son) has signed for Durham. [www.espncricinfo.com]

Re: 2017 OTHER COUNTY NEWS
Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
27 January, 2017 08:46
Lancashire: Shivnarine Chanderpaul & Dane Vilas join on Kolpak deals [www.bbc.co.uk]

Why is there such a rush for Kolpak players by so many clubs this year?

Bagpuss (IP Logged)
27 January, 2017 10:31
I think its down to Brexit, Mike. Once the UK leaves the EU and halts free movement of the European labour markets, players from countries outside the EU with trade agreements with the EU (SA, Zim, some Caribbean nations)won't qualify to come to UK as Kolpak players. However it is expected that those who are already here and under contract will be allowed to stay. Hence the rush. Suspect we'll see the same next year too.

Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
27 January, 2017 10:39
I wondered if that may have been the case.

Who knows how the ECB will react.

Grockle (IP Logged)
27 January, 2017 11:12
Badly and late if history is anything to go by

(Sm72)

Bagpuss (IP Logged)
10 February, 2017 10:13
Glamorgan have announced Mark Wallace is to retire. Seems like only yesterday he was the bright new young keeping thing.

Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
10 February, 2017 18:08
Ive always liked Wallace - good player - all the best to him

Farmer White (IP Logged)
14 February, 2017 00:01
Not sure where to post this but this seems the most appropriate thread.

For those, like me, who were unable to get to 'When The Eye Has Gone', a 75 minute one man play about Colin Milburn when it premiered at The County Ground last year there are two more chances to see it at the Brewhouse Theatre in Taunton on 17 and 18 March. The link is below:

[www.thebrewhouse.net]

mikeindex (IP Logged)
14 February, 2017 12:42
Thanks for passing this on Farmer. I wasn't able to get to the County Ground performance due to a clash with one of my own rehearsals, so this is excellent news.

I recall the author (James Graham-Brown) turning in an outstanding performance in a Gillette Cup final c. 1974 - Kent for a time had three bowlers on their staff called Graham, Brown and Graham-Brown.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/02/2017 12:46 by mikeindex.

Current Page: 1 of 22

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net