cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Somerset will or won't be Champions of the CC1 in

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Current Page: 1 of 17
Bagpuss
2017 OTHER COUNTY NEWS (CLSD)
Bagpuss (IP Logged)
03 January, 2017 10:15
Reports on Cricinfo that Kyle Abbott likely to retire from international cricket to sign 3 yr deal with Hampshire as a Kolpak.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2018 09:00 by Grockle.

mikeindex
Re: 2017 Other Counties News
mikeindex (IP Logged)
03 January, 2017 23:20
If true, this is sickening.

Clarence Parker
Clarence Parker (IP Logged)
04 January, 2017 09:25
Really? Even to Hampshire fans? Would you have made the same response if Somerset had signed him?

hantssabre
hantssabre (IP Logged)
04 January, 2017 12:32
A good bowler but can't say I'm totally in favour of it but seeing Topley is now injured again it's looking more like a case of needs must!

Following on
Following on (IP Logged)
09 January, 2017 14:35
Cricinfo reporting that Stephen Cook (jimmy's son) has signed as an overseas player for Durham. I had hoped the Cook connection may have opened this signing up for Somerset.

mikeindex
mikeindex (IP Logged)
09 January, 2017 15:14
On reflection my initial reaction was a bit extreme.

Loyal of Lhasa
Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
09 January, 2017 16:25
Jennings, Richardson & Cook, all sons of South African Test players, all to play for Durham. (That's not a comment, just an observation)

LoL

Seventy Seasons a Somerset Supporter

BristolRob
RadstockRob (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 20:45
South African David Wiese has signed a three year Kolpak contract with Sussex and Glamorgan are in the running to sign Marchant De Lange on a Kolpak deal.

SOMERSET THE TEAM TO WATCH.

nelliec
nelliec (IP Logged)
14 January, 2017 20:33
Story on cricinfo that ABV is considering giving up test cricket to concentrate on the one -day stuff. I'm sure many of the top counties , including ourselves, would be falling over backwards to sign him for the T20 and anything else.Also mentioned was the word 'Kolpak', but as he will still be playing the one day stuff for SA this wouldn't be an option I presume.

cricketharris
cricketharris (IP Logged)
15 January, 2017 17:05
I presume when we get out of the EU Kolpakers will be a thing of the past.

MESSAGES->author
JuliaW (IP Logged)
15 January, 2017 21:45
In theory yes.

In reality who knows what will happen!

Mike BOS
Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
23 January, 2017 15:03
Stephen Cook (Jimmy's son) has signed for Durham. [www.espncricinfo.com]

Mike BOS
Re: 2017 OTHER COUNTY NEWS
Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
27 January, 2017 08:46
Lancashire: Shivnarine Chanderpaul & Dane Vilas join on Kolpak deals [www.bbc.co.uk]

Why is there such a rush for Kolpak players by so many clubs this year?

Bagpuss
Bagpuss (IP Logged)
27 January, 2017 10:31
I think its down to Brexit, Mike. Once the UK leaves the EU and halts free movement of the European labour markets, players from countries outside the EU with trade agreements with the EU (SA, Zim, some Caribbean nations)won't qualify to come to UK as Kolpak players. However it is expected that those who are already here and under contract will be allowed to stay. Hence the rush. Suspect we'll see the same next year too.

Mike BOS
Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
27 January, 2017 10:39
I wondered if that may have been the case.

Who knows how the ECB will react.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
27 January, 2017 11:12
Badly and late if history is anything to go by

(Sm72)

Bagpuss
Bagpuss (IP Logged)
10 February, 2017 10:13
Glamorgan have announced Mark Wallace is to retire. Seems like only yesterday he was the bright new young keeping thing.

Shepton Paul 2
Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
10 February, 2017 18:08
Ive always liked Wallace - good player - all the best to him

Farmer White
Farmer White (IP Logged)
14 February, 2017 00:01
Not sure where to post this but this seems the most appropriate thread.

For those, like me, who were unable to get to 'When The Eye Has Gone', a 75 minute one man play about Colin Milburn when it premiered at The County Ground last year there are two more chances to see it at the Brewhouse Theatre in Taunton on 17 and 18 March. The link is below:

[www.thebrewhouse.net]

mikeindex
mikeindex (IP Logged)
14 February, 2017 12:42
Thanks for passing this on Farmer. I wasn't able to get to the County Ground performance due to a clash with one of my own rehearsals, so this is excellent news.

I recall the author (James Graham-Brown) turning in an outstanding performance in a Gillette Cup final c. 1974 - Kent for a time had three bowlers on their staff called Graham, Brown and Graham-Brown.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/02/2017 12:46 by mikeindex.

Farmer White
Farmer White (IP Logged)
14 February, 2017 15:40
Mike, that 1974 Gillette semi-final at Canterbury is indelibly burned into my heart and vivid memories abound. They still keep me awake at night. I lived in Kent at the time during my first extended exile. My brother travelled up from the Isle of Wight and stayed with us for the match.

I remember the process of telephoning Somerset to reserve two tickets, sending a cheque and waiting in anticipation for them to come. The envelope arrived containing two numbered cloakroom tickets. They were an orange/brown colour and one was missing a corner. They were accepted on the gate without the slightest demur. How times have changed.

My brother and I took so long to penetrate the traffic we arrived late to see Somerset batting and the score 10-0. We had no chance of a seat. The ground was heaving. We opted to stand next to the temporary stand packed with travelling Somerset supporters in front of the lime tree. Were you in that stand by any chance?

Our hopes rose as Derek Taylor and Mervyn Kitchen started to build a partnership. Then Kitchen lapped one and Alan Ealham ran round and caught it ankle high right in front of us. Peter Denning came in having scored a hundred against Surrey in the quarter final. He couldn't lay a bat on the ball. I seem to remember him being repeatedly whacked on his pads before he was finally out for 8. Derek Taylor meanwhile had been building a painfully slow score. So slow that someone from that temporary stand called out, "C'mon Derek. I got to go to work tomorrow!" Thank goodness for Derek though for without what may have been the longest one day 49 in Somerset history there would have been no match at all to speak of.

Soon we had Brian Close and Viv Richards. The two disasters that followed are the most indelibly imprinted images along with one from the Kent innings. Close went for a suicidal run, slammed the brakes on with the biggest shuddering of knees I have ever seen and was run out by a mile. Richards responded with a flat six straight up one of the aisles in the stand full of Somerset supporters. The stand erupted. Next ball he was 'adjudged' lbw when he was as far down the pitch as Close had been when he was run out and Somerset were 104-5. Cries of disgust at the decision. A woman of Kent said, "I do hope they don't run wild if they lose". The rest of the innings is a blur of a collapse as we ended up 154 all out off 58 overs. I can still see that paltry score on the huge black numbers on cream scoreboard. The only other memory of that innings is of Colin Cowdrey playing to the crowd by feigning a stiff back in response to a heckle about his age.

Then Kent batted and suddenly were 40-4. I can still see Cowdrey bemused as Botham shattered his stumps for 8. The Somerset roar was by now cacophanous and continuous. What became of the lady of Kent is lost to posterity. After that a slow grind of tight bowling and slow scoring as Denness and Knott edged Kent forward to just short of a hundred and Woolmer and Ealham dragged them home over an interminable number of overs. The third indelible memory was Hallam Moseley's five consecutive outswingers in an over past Woolmer's outside edge. Then the rain to remove hope of swing from an ageing ball and Bob Clapp bowling wides when Close sent him round the wicket just before the end in a last throw of the dice before Kent scraped home by three wickets.

Oh the ifs and the buts. If Cartwright had been fit for us to put up against Underwood. If the pitch had not been 'wet at one end' as reported in the press the next day. If Close had not set off on that suicidal run. If Richards had not been given out so far down the pitch. If Denning could have found his Surrey form. If Moseley, Clapp or Botham could have found just one more wicket in that glorious opening phase of the Kent innings. Even if, late in the day, just one of those Moseley outswingers could have found the edge of Woolmer's bat. Then it might just have been that Close's team 'of varying hairlines and waistlines' as they were dubbed by one reporter the next day might, just might, have pulled it off.

And finally for those with and endless desire for anguish here is the link to the Cricket Archive scorecard for the match:

[www.cricketarchive.com]

I assure you the above memories are indelibly accurate and I won't have anything so transitory as facts getting in their way.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 14/02/2017 18:22 by Farmer White.

Grobag
Grobag (IP Logged)
14 February, 2017 16:56
FW I love this tale , it was a great shame that Closey never won us any silverware .

Loyal of Lhasa
14 February, 2017 17:17
Quote:
Farmer White
I assure you though the above memories are indelibly accurate and I won't have anything so transitory as facts getting in their way.

Trump would be proud of you!

(but I loved your report on the match and believe every word of it)

LoL

Farmer White
Farmer White (IP Logged)
14 February, 2017 17:59
I have added a link to the scorecard for the Canterbury semi-final to the above post for the masochists among you.

LoL, I must also confess to one piece of editing of the post-factual narrative. According to Cricket Archive Cowdrey scored 8 although I assure you at the time it was only one as originally reported! My other recollections are all borne out by the scorecard and be in no doubt were as excruciating as I report them.

Loyal of Lhasa
14 February, 2017 18:02
Alternative facts are perfectly acceptable these days.

LoL

Farmer White
Farmer White (IP Logged)
14 February, 2017 18:20
And now apologies to mikeindex for originally suggesting he had miss-remembered the name of a bowler in the above match. Having re-read his post I realise he was referring to the Gillette FINAL (not the semi-final to which I refer) of 1974 which Kent also won and indeed Graham-Brown (not Norman Graham who played in the semi-final) had figures of 12-5-15-2 in that Final and mikeindex had indeed remembered it accurately. I can only plead the fact that I only watch Somerset and assumed everyone else did the same! I will remove that little section from the end of the post in which the error occurred.

Grizzzly
Grizzzly (IP Logged)
14 February, 2017 22:59
[quote Loyal of Lhasa][quote Farmer White]
Trump would be proud of you![/quote]

Did I miss something ?

Did Harvey stand for President ?

Grizzzly

Wickham
Wickham (IP Logged)
15 February, 2017 10:14
A ridiculous suggestion, Grizzz - Harvey would be completely unsuited to the role (and, these days, I wouldn't even rely on him to spin effectively).

Oh ...

Loyal of Lhasa
15 February, 2017 10:28
Graham Clinton was in the running for a while, but those emails let him down.

LoL

Farmer White
Farmer White (IP Logged)
15 February, 2017 12:36
LoL I do think we should stick to our own. I therefore considered nominating Richard Johnson (Somerset 2001-06) and Peter Randall Johnson (1901-27) there being space for two presidents called Johnson. I also wondered about Hugh Wilson (1983-84). In the end though, to keep with the spirit of the age, I nominate Thomas Crump (1885).

Current Page: 1 of 17

This Thread has been closed
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net