cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Time to the New Year

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Current Page: 20 of 24

Re: 2017 OTHER COUNTY NEWS
Bagpuss (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 00:07
Have to admit one of my very first thoughts at the Members' meeting on Wednesday when told of the restructuring going ahead was 'please, not Andrew Gale'

The Headingley dressing room has been a sorry place this season by all accounts. Yes, my sources are good. But in true Grockles tradition they will not be revealed 😉

Grockle (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 07:29
I have faith in them if you do Bag.......

(Sm72)

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 07:50
Everyone on White Rose Forum agrees Gale was a bad appointment.

Apparently no man management abilities whatsoever, and somewhat deficient in spotting technical flaws, and helping a player correct them, and unable to motivate people suggest he's got nothing going for him at all.

AGod (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 08:51
As I said, the rumour is that there was a massive row with Alex Lees.

Some on that forum have accused the batsmen of deliberately lying down to get Gale fired - something that is not unknown in football.

Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 17:16
Another team who can't blame anybody else other than themselves for a slow over rate.

Northamptonshire coach David Ripley admitted they had no-one to blame but themselves after missing out on promotion in the County Championship.

Ripley's team finished third despite winning nine games in Division Two, five points adrift of Notts.
But they were docked five points in their game at Trent Bridge in August for a slow over-rate.
[www.bbc.co.uk]

AGod (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 19:04
The required rate is so low that there's no excuse for any team to not achieve the prescribed rate.

Bagpuss (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 08:38
Steve Magoffin has moved to Worcestershire and Brett Hutton to Northants.

cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 17:44
Steve Magoffin, who is 37, has gone to Worcestershire in a coaching role as well as a bowler.

Grockle (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 17:55
Maybe they can sppeal now that those docked points have stopped the moving up irrespective of whether they appealed before? (Tic)

(Sm72)

sfwithers (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 20:55
Don't know where to post this, but there's a great article by Rob Smyth on Duncan Spencer in today's Guardian. Don't know the name? Me neither. But Sir Isaac Vivian Alexander rated him one of the fastest bowlers he'd ever faced, and I guess he knows a thing or two...

[www.theguardian.com]

AGod (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 21:46
That must be, by a very long distance, the longest article ever written about somebody who managed all of 36 first-class wickets! I wonder what prompted it now?

sfwithers (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 22:25
I'm guessing because Rob Smyth got to talk to him and it is a genuinely fascinating story: Duncan Spencer had part of what it took to be one of the best bowlers ever - the ability to bowl at close to 100mph - but a body that wouldn't let him do it. And he seems quite sanguine with how it turned out.

There's a similarly lengthy article on Patrick Patterson also by Rob Smyth, possibly even more revealing, on another bowler who didn't quite reach his full potential (though with a much greater record than Spencer).
[www.theguardian.com]

Yes, Spencer only has a small body of work (but that's still 36 more wickets than I'll ever take!) but it is a story I wasn't aware of, even though at the time I must have read of his career.

AGod (IP Logged)
04 October, 2017 05:18
The name was vaguely familiar at the time. But I remember nothing about him.

Bobstan (IP Logged)
04 October, 2017 07:17
Very interesting, sfw. I have no memory of Spencer at all. Some days you could just take off the last four words of the previous sentence!

Who was the quickest bowler? This question always has a certain fascination. Clearly Brett Lee and Shoaib Akhtar were exceptional. Bradman saw all the quickies from Larwood to the West Indian greats and he always maintained that Frank Tyson was the fastest in his lifetime. He was certainly the fastest I ever saw 'in the flesh' as it were.

Spencer certainly seems to have been unlucky to have been given a drugs ban.

AG, it must be the longest article ever written about any cricketer! Come on, Farmer White. You'll have to up your game. You have the quality, but what about the width!

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
04 October, 2017 07:57
Having looked at the video that went with the article, it quite clearly was not a front foot no ball (which reprieved Viv Richards). (Constant also had a controversy with a bad run out decision in a test match)

Grockle (IP Logged)
04 October, 2017 08:00
Allan Donald reckoned it was Andre van Troost.... he was damn nippy.

(Sm72)

Bobstan (IP Logged)
04 October, 2017 08:04
You should know, Grock. After all you faced him - didn't you?

Addition: Desmond Haynes also reckoned van Troost was the quickest he played against.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2017 08:08 by Bobstan.

Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
04 October, 2017 08:34
Quickest I faced was Ian Bishop. I'm just glad it was a Sunday friendly club match, he was about 44 at the time, and only bowled off two paces! 😱

Bagpuss (IP Logged)
04 October, 2017 08:39
Mark Butcher would add a third vote for the Rooster

sfwithers (IP Logged)
04 October, 2017 09:01
Quickest I saw in the flesh (spectating, not facing!) was probably Van Troost. If only he could have got his radar working his career would have been 'interesting'. Colin Croft and Wayne Daniel both looked nippy (!) from the boundary, with Croft having the longest run-up I've seen. The most intimidating line-up I ever saw in the flesh was Australia vs WI at the Gabba in 1988. Patterson was injured so I only saw three overs from him (and when he went off the Aussie fans thought the day would be theirs; it wasn't!), but Marshall 2 for 39, Ambrose 3 for 30 and Walsh with 4 for 62 weren't too shabby! Fastest Somerset opening pair would be Botham and Garner; the former could be pretty feisty at his peak and Garner the best bowler I've seen. Love to have seen whether he could have got his yorker (damn spellchecker changed it to yore) working in T20.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2017 13:52 by sfwithers.

Current Page: 20 of 24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net