cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Time to the New Year

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Current Page: 1 of 86
2017 SOMERSET RELATED NEWS
Bagpuss (IP Logged)
12 January, 2017 00:05
Somerset will play Dorset in a T20 match as part of their preparation for the T20 Blast.
The match is at North Perrott in Tuesday 11 July.

Re: 2017 SOMERSET RELATED NEWS
Grockle (IP Logged)
12 January, 2017 07:28
Whooppee!!

More T20 enjoyment on those summer days when cricket conditions are at their best!!

(Sm72)

Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
12 January, 2017 11:17
I would love to travel to North Perrott again to see a match, it's a lovely ground to watch cricket.

The scoreboard has been removed from it's supporting brick building, the rest should follow. No photos, the weather has not been good enough to take them.

Clarence Parker (IP Logged)
12 January, 2017 11:30
A good workout for Dorset I am sure.

You certainly get some scoops Bagpuss don't you?

RadstockRob (IP Logged)
12 January, 2017 15:02
Dorset plan to use North Perrott as one of it's home grounds this year.

Bobstan (IP Logged)
13 January, 2017 08:01
Geography clearly isn't the strongest suit of the Dorset CCC folk, Rob.

It has set me wondering which first class counties have played home matches outside their county borders. I know that Northants have played at Luton, Beds, and one day games at Milton Keynes, Bucks and Tring, Herts.

Middlesex 2nds not infrequently play at Radlett, Herts, but I was really thinking of the full County side. Middlesex is an unusual case anyway as 'Though we're not sure where it is, We're sure it's there.' (Song by Instant Sunshine 'Middlesex Man'- the greatest song ever written, though don't tell Schubert and that crowd.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/01/2017 08:04 by Bobstan.

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
13 January, 2017 09:09
Middlesex do play one first team one day match at Radlett (Herts) each year. Then there is Richmond which historically was always Surrey (south of the river) but now is London Borough of, erm Richmond, They always get one T20 match. And Merchant Taylors. I'm not sure even Middlesex fans can agree on MT. The postal address is Northwood, Middlesex, so to me that is an end to the matter- but many say definitely Herts. Either way it's right on the border.

RadstockRob (IP Logged)
13 January, 2017 10:19
Somerset have played both home and away matches at Torquay.

Dorset no longer play at Dean Park, Bournemouth, so have had to look elsewhere.

Perhaps there aren't enough grounds with the required standards for Minor Counties cricket in Dorset.

Bobstan (IP Logged)
13 January, 2017 10:21
One problem with this, Chunky, is this changing of administrative boundaries. I have a son who lives in Richmond. I keep telling him he lives in Surrey, but I am not sure he believes me.

I think MT is in Herts. The postal address may just mean that the letters get sorted in Northwood - or the Herts county boundary may have been altered without my permission! Potters Bar used to be Middlesex, but is now Herts.

Years ago I posted the words of 'Middlesex Man' on your website. It elicited no great reaction.

13 January, 2017 10:25
Somerset played at Torquay in Devonshire and Gloucestershire at both Swindon and Trowbridge, Wiltshire, I believe. All one - day games.

Also Derbyshire played regularly at Burton on Trent which I believe is in Staffordshire.

I am sure there are many more involving other counties.

Angell Face (IP Logged)
13 January, 2017 10:33
Unless my source of information is wrong, Middlesex no longer exists as a county in which case, by definition, all of Middlesex CCC matches are played elsewhere.

Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
13 January, 2017 10:39
A rare moment today it was not raining, so I managed to take a few photos and one or two from a couple of days ago.

http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p490/cricketphotos1/Cricket%20Photos/Ground%20redevelopment%20all%20years/Redeveloping%20NE%20corner%20Plumbers%20yard%20and%20Scoreboard%20Stand%2014.jpg

Plumbers Building being demolished

http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p490/cricketphotos1/Cricket%20Photos/Ground%20redevelopment%20all%20years/Redeveloping%20NE%20corner%20Plumbers%20yard%20and%20Scoreboard%20Stand%208.jpg

And from another angle.

http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p490/cricketphotos1/Cricket%20Photos/Ground%20redevelopment%20all%20years/Redeveloping%20NE%20corner%20Plumbers%20yard%20and%20Scoreboard%20Stand%202.jpg

Scoreboard already gone (missed that it rained all day) and the stand is being started on.

13 January, 2017 11:04
Leicestershire have played at Oakham School. I believe that this was in the county of Rutland, then was swallowed up by Leicestershire county, but has now reverted back to being an independent county again.

Bobstan (IP Logged)
13 January, 2017 11:07
Thanks, Mike.

You are, of course, in one sense correct re Middlesex, Angell Face. However I won't allow the historic counties that exist in my mind to be abolished by politicians and bureaucrats.

Middlesex beyond compare,
Though we're not sure where it is
We're sure it's there.

Bobstan (IP Logged)
13 January, 2017 11:11
Interesting, CP. That impeccable source, Wiki, says Rutland is now a ceremonial county, whatever that may be. It's administratively a District Council apparently.

Angell Face (IP Logged)
13 January, 2017 11:20
You're quite right Bobstan, we shouldn't let the historic counties just fade from our memory. Nevertheless, I do cherish the fact that we support a real county. Incidentally, does anyone remember a marvellous TV programme called Rutland Weekend Television?

Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
13 January, 2017 11:50
Maybe I have missed it in the postings above, but don't Glamorgan frequently play in varioys parts of Wales, including Colwyn Bay, and have not Kenmt played at The Oval relatively recently?

Was Middlesborough always in Yorkshire when the county played there?

On another point altogether... What is the latest news iof Hildreth's recovery from that awful anke injury?

LoL

Sixty-nine Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
13 January, 2017 12:30
James Hildreth was at the members lunch yesterday, he is back training with the rest of the team.

Scrumper (IP Logged)
13 January, 2017 13:25
Many times I saw Somerset play in Avon!

Farmer White (IP Logged)
13 January, 2017 14:07
Essex used to play in Ilford which is in the London Borough of Redbridge. Kent, I think, still play at Beckenham which is in the London Borough of Bromley. Hampshire play at the Ageas Bowl which may as well be on the far side of the moon when it comes to trying to get to it.

Current Page: 1 of 86

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net