cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Time to the New Year

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Current Page: 39 of 85

Re: 2017 SOMERSET RELATED NEWS
Grockle (IP Logged)
29 August, 2017 21:27
Yep sorry Ron. Under loadsa drugs after knee surgery... wasn't sure what you were on about for a minute or two. Many apologies.

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/08/2017 21:29 by Grockle.

cricketharris (IP Logged)
01 September, 2017 18:17
Never mind all that silly squabbling on the Essex game pages, someone has nicked the temporary stand. Gone overnight.

Grockle (IP Logged)
01 September, 2017 18:37
If it's 'never mind' CH...... why mention it?

They aren't going to need it for anything else are they? Only CC1 against Lancs and Middlesex to come. We aren't gonna fill the place.

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2017 18:40 by Grockle.

cricketharris (IP Logged)
01 September, 2017 19:24
It was only used for T20 so never mind then.

AGod (IP Logged)
01 September, 2017 19:29
Quite. Right at the bottom of the club's list of worries or, at least, it should be.

Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 08:16
So the club has officially confirmed about Jim Allenby leaving, They have also confirmed what I had already heard that Michael Leask and Ryan Davies are also leaving.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2017 08:19 by Mike TA1.

Grockle (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 18:23
It seems that Ryan is actually retiring from the game - though that is based on a tweet seemingly by him so looking for confirmation. The press release said for personal reasons.

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2017 20:07 by Grockle.

mikeindex (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 18:44
While I wouldn't join in the wholesale vilification of Allenby which some find so enjoyable - he had a fine 50-over season last year in the run to the semi, and has had his moments (albeit fewer than might have been hoped) in other forms - his time here has probably run its course and I doubt many would argue for his retention.

Leask hasn't really had much chance to show what he can do; there's no compelling argument for keeping him, but I find it hard to see why he was recruited in the first place if he's now to be let go, having not done much wrong and had very little chance to do much right.
It's possible, on reflection, that he was hired with a view to playing a part as an off-spinner when we didn't realise just what a fine prospect we had in Dom Bess.

I am DEEPLY disappointed to see Ryan Davies go. Personally I would not have hired him in the first place for the simple reason that I wouldn't have ditched Michael Bates, but once Ryan was here I was very much impressed with his wicket-keeping all last season, with his batting in the second half (even in the first half his batting always showed plenty of potential, just very very poor shot selection), and (as far as I can judge from the boundary) with his attitude.

Whichever county has the good fortune to snap him up, I would still not be at all surprised to see him challenging for international honours in a few years' time, and quite possibly denied them by being too good at keeping wicket in an era when that particular skill is mistrusted by selectors of international wicket-keepers.

Grizzzly (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 23:33
Agree re Jim. He had some good moments, but alas few of late. Perhaps a trip back across the bridge might rekindle his spark.

As for RD, I'm a bit surprised, but on the other hand I guess with the emergence of Tom B., it makes sense, as we hardly need three keepers.

I wonder also whether he got a bit home sick. Moving from one side of the country to the other at the age of nineteen can't have been easy. Whatever the situation, hopefully he will find his niche as he continues on life's journey.

Grizzzly

Roger ivanhoe (IP Logged)
20 September, 2017 08:16
Somerset County Cricket Club CEO Lee Cooper will be holding a question and answer session for Members next week.
This will take place shortly after the close of play on Wednesday September 27th (Day Three of our Specsavers County Championship match against Middlesex).

AGod (IP Logged)
20 September, 2017 08:35
Is the idea to answer questions related to the business aspects of the club? It would be a little strange, I feel, for him to be answering questions related to cricketing aspects, or is the expectation that he will be bringing Mr Maynard along with him to do that?

20 September, 2017 08:56
The full notice is on the club website AGod, I don't have a crystal ball but personally I think its a good idea if he is not accompanied by M.M. on this occasion.
It will give members the opportunity to voice their opinions on all matters concerning the club, season to date, and the future.

Really not sure what additional answers you would get if M.M. was in attendance, judging by all past Q & A sessions we have had, and I have attended most.

Maybe if you have questions to put to Mr Maynard you will need as you often say "Put them on a Postcard"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/09/2017 08:58 by Roger ivanhoe.

Clarence Parker (IP Logged)
20 September, 2017 09:15
Should we send the Postcard to Taunton Roger?

I am sure that cricket will be uppermost in the minds of those who attend, particularly if our future for the County Championship in 2018 is known one way or the other by then.

I doubt whether ground development issues, pitches, floodlights, membership issues etc. will be of much concern to members at this stage of the season.

Mr Cooper needs to be on the ball and not respond with the oft - used answer - "We will look into that."

Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
20 September, 2017 09:18
I believe that Lee Cooper is/will get more involved in cricketing matters, you will have noticed that it is Lee Cooper who have been announcing about players who have been given contracts.

I am also wondering if he is behind Max and Johann getting white ball contracts for next season.

AGod (IP Logged)
20 September, 2017 09:37
I hope not, Mike.

I'm not saying you're wrong about what has happened. I've no idea. But unless Mr Cooper has decided to relive Mr Maynard of command, then I really don't think that the club CEO should be making cricketing decisions (as opposed to decisions about budgets, for example).

Now, if he has said to Maynard - I've decided to increase your budget for next season, what do you want to do with the extra money? And Matthew said - give Waller and Mybs new deals? Great - that's how things should operate. But if Mr Cooper is himself making these decisions? All wrong unless, as I say, he's decided that somebody other than Mr Maynard will be calling the cricketing shots next season.

20 September, 2017 12:26
Depends what you define as "Cricketing Decisions " AGod, I would hope that Lee Cooper along with his committee will make decisions which they feel is to the benefit and future of SCCC.
As CEO that is his job, perhaps our lack of silverware is because our previous CEO's have allowed ALL cricket matters to be dealt with by our DOC's, who knows, but its pretty obvious that things have to change to bring success on the field.

By Wednesday we will be in a position to know if we stay in division one, either way I just cannot see the point of MM attending, its the same responses and excuses each time he speaks I am afraid, which should not be the case, so lets hear from our CEO his thoughts.

When MM came to the club, I had high hopes and felt he needed and should be given time, three years down the line I am really not so sure how much more time he should be given.

AGod (IP Logged)
20 September, 2017 12:35
I still believe that the DoC should be in charge of all decisions re:how to spend the cricket budget, which players should be given contracts/released/signed from elsewhere etc as well as the most obvious stuff such as squad and team selection.

The CEO needs, IMO, to delegate that authority and he must have full confidence in the person to whom said authority is delegated.

In my view, as soon as a CEO starts making cricketing decisions, as distinct from financial ones, ones about the ground etc then accountability becomes blurred - the DoC is then a potential fall guy for calls that were not made by him.

Clarence Parker (IP Logged)
20 September, 2017 13:22
Surely if a D o C recommends that a certain player be registered, signed or indeed released, his decision is not final? By that I mean, does it not have to be put before a committee for ratification before action is taken one way or the other?

I gather that we do not have a Cricket Committee as such now, so who would rubber stamp any decisions made by a D o C?

At the end of last season, I said to a senior official at the club whom I know well, that I had considered (and if I am honest still do) that Matthew Maynard had not been a sound choice for the post. The official in question said, "You have to give him time."

Another year has almost passed us by in which MM has had a further opportunity to take the club forward. Is his heart and soul really in the club? From what I have heard and seen of him, I don't get the impression that it is.

I consider that MM's time has run out, and as Roger said earlier "its pretty obvious that things have to change to bring success on the field."

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
20 September, 2017 13:35
Technically I'm sure you right, Clarence.

But The DOC sees the players in training every day, and will have clear ideas of who he wants to keep, and who he doesn't think will make the grade.

Sure, the 'top table' would need to ratify his proposals, but why would you go against his wishes, and saddle him with a player he doesn't want to keep?

AGod (IP Logged)
20 September, 2017 13:51
If, as CEO, you refuse to ratify your DoC's decisions then you have no business continuing to employ said DoC, IMO. Either you trust him and back his drcisions or you doubt him and do not feel you can trust his decisions, in which case your course of action should, surely, be obvious.

Current Page: 39 of 85

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net