cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Time to the New Year

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Current Page: 40 of 41

Re: 2017 SOMERSET RELATED NEWS
Clarence Parker (IP Logged)
20 September, 2017 16:56
I take your point AGod, but that is surely why county clubs (and Somerset in particular) have in the past had said appointed cricket committees.

I suppose it could be akin to a Headteacher at a school who wishes to take action against a member of his teaching staff, but must first put his wishes before the school Board of Governors.

Best analogy I could think of I am afraid.

Grockle (IP Logged)
20 September, 2017 18:19
Mike at no time suggested that Mr Cooper had 'relieved' MM of cricketing decisions AG.

(Sm72)

AGod (IP Logged)
20 September, 2017 19:22
And I, at no time, suggested that Mike had implied that Mr Cooper had made any such decision, Grockle, but thanks for pointing that out.

Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
20 September, 2017 22:31
What I have noticed in recent games is that Matthew Maynard has not been quoted on the subject of a day's play on the club's website report.

Yesterday it was Steve Davies who was quoted and today Pete Trego. In more recent games it was the captain etc. I am sure that MM is with the first team at the Oval but it does seem strange that he does not give a summary of the day's play on the official website, as he has generally done all season.

A glass half - empty or a glass half - full?
Regardless, both glasses need filling up.

AGod (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 05:21
As a standard, whoever has a good day gives the comment. When nobody does (which is almost always on a day when we batted) either Tom or Matthee are sent to do it.

Roger ivanhoe (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 16:14
Good interview and background of our New CEO

The Lee Cooper interview: “My overriding objective is to win silverware”

Interview Read Here

AGod (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 16:28
“I scored 70-odd against Essex, 40-odd against someone else, but if you are a batter you have to score heavily, and I didn’t”.

Yes, indeed.

AGod (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 16:31
"With Lee having played cricket to a high standard previously, he is well qualified to make his opinion heard but he won’t be doing that. Everyone will do their own job without obstacles: “Although I like to think I know cricket, the bottom line is I don’t”, he says. “I have played the game and I have a view but it is a dangerous line to cross being heavily involved in the cricket side.

“So it is my responsibility to appoint the Director of Cricket here, and the cricket becomes his responsibility and he is accountable to both me and the Board with the decisions he makes. So I will challenge but not the cross the line into interference, however tempting. Because if you do that who is accountable for the performance on the field?”

Quite right - as mentioned earlier the DoC MUST be accountable.

I wonder whether one should read anything into the wording at the start of the second paragraph - for, at the time of typing, there is no vacancy to which to appoint a new DoC at the present time.

21 September, 2017 16:32
So I assume that is the only point you can pick out of the article to your liking AGod.

AGod (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 16:34
I was pleased to read the following:

"Winning Division Two does not count."

For a club with a big playing budget, that is exactly right - it's not some big feather in the cap and should not be presented as such should we win the thing next year, though, of course, immediate promotion would be absolutely vital - a necessity, not a feather in the cap.

The only thing that did flummox me was his assertion that we are "some way behind Notts on the field," given that they are a division below us. I assume he meant somebody else.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/09/2017 16:45 by AGod.

AGod (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 16:36
Well I certainly wasn't interested in the corporate puffery about Cooper Associates, Roger, were you?

21 September, 2017 16:45
One could accuse you of "Puffery" in many of your postings AGod.

The article is is aimed at given a background of Lee Cooper, which I was more than happy to read.

AGod (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 16:49
Not if one knows the definition of the word, Roger, but not to worry.

The parts about his ambitions for Somerset were fine. The rest of it was a corporate puff piece and I imagine that the aim of the article was partly the former and partly the latter.

21 September, 2017 17:00
So please enlighten me how you define the word AGod, I know I define it.

AGod (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 17:01
OTT praise is the definition, Roger.

AGod (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 17:49
Roger - one thing I should add, my apologies for not doing so earlier:

I Do like the point that Mr Cooper has zero interest in a 'career in cricket.'

He didn't make the point explicit but what I believe Mr Cooper may have been getting at is that having CEOs that aspire to work for Test outfits and Chairman that want to climb the greasy ECB pole has the potential to create a kind of conflict of interest... if one wants to one day work for Surrey or Notts it might not do to antagonise them too much. If one wants to climb the greasy ECB poll then it may be politic to go along with their wishes etc...

As a pure Somerset man whose only interest is Somerset we may get a line vs ECB plans etc which is firmly in our interests vs theirs, at least potentially, though for that to be fully true we could do with somebody of similar persuasion as Chairman.

Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 19:16
So my thoughts that our CEO involving himself in some of the decisions on the cricketing side is wrong according to some of the post above.

I always think there should be a safety net against one person making all the decisions without somebody else giving an input.

AGod (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 08:04
Well, we'll see Mike - At this point Lee Cooper seems to understand both that he should not interfere and the reasons why. So he gets it in theory. But theories do have a habit of being tested by events - for example if we go down and start poorly next season then - especially as a SCCC fan - how easy will it be for him to stand on the sidelines?

I certainly don't know and Mr Cooper himself may only find out as and when the situation arises.

But I certainly applaud his aim of appointing the best man for the job and then getting the hell out of the way.

Wickham (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 11:20
[s][/s]AG: I think you misrepresent what he said. He talked abut providing challenge - which is exactly right, in my view, and not the same as you suggest in your final sentence.

Edited when I noticed that I had written represent, rather than misrepresent.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/09/2017 18:40 by Wickham.

cricketharris (IP Logged)
24 September, 2017 13:08
Knowing how much we like taking Middlesex players I wonder if we will sign Morgan as our one-day captain next season?

Current Page: 40 of 41

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net