cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Time to the New Year

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Current Page: 1 of 22
2017 SCCC PLAYERS OLD AND NEW
Wickham (IP Logged)
15 January, 2017 17:37
A charming interview with Somerset's oldest surviving player: Tony Sutton interview

Re: 2017 SCCC PLAYERS OLD AND NEW
Following on (IP Logged)
18 January, 2017 11:50
Cricinfo reporting that Dean Elgar has been signed as an overseas player. South Africa touring England in July & August and have a training camp in May, so not available for the whole summer.

[www.espncricinfo.com]

cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
18 January, 2017 13:42
Elgar man-of-the-series in recent Tests against Sri Lanka.

Yorkshire and Durham were both after his signature, but as a Kolpak.

nelliec (IP Logged)
18 January, 2017 14:33
If Edgar gets out of the SA training camp he would probably miss all T20 , but only the CC game with Surrey on the 7th of August. This may open the door for two possible T20 signings!!

Grockle (IP Logged)
18 January, 2017 16:22
And the period of his absence might allow the signing and re-signing to be done properly this time.

(Sm72)

Peter Roebuck (Cricinfo Article)
Scotsman19 (IP Logged)
19 January, 2017 12:56
I've just read the interesting article regarding Peter Roebuck on Cricinfo. As much as I am, was aware that there was some "interesting" times during the 1980's can someone please fill me in as to what actually happened during this time? I'm really interested in both the facts as well as the personal views of those who were a lot closer to events than someone from Scotland

Re: Peter Roebuck (Cricinfo Article)
Farmer White (IP Logged)
19 January, 2017 13:29
People who were around at the time will have different views on what happened. It was immensley divisive.

I attended the Shepton Mallet AGM and travelled from the South East to be there which, together with the fact that about half the membership attended a pretty remote location inaccessible by public transport gives an indication of the strength of feeling.

My recollection of the speeches is that the 'rebels' spoke with emotion particularly the person who led for them and Peter Denning, the supporters of the committee with more precision, particularly Nigel Popplewell, who interestingly shared a crucial stand with Ian Botham in turning a losing cause into a winning one in a cup semi final at Lords in the early eighties. From my recollection Popplewell's intervention was crucial in producing the size of the majority in favour of the committe if not the majority itself. I was always inclined to vote with the committee in spite of their poor handling of the situation because the team was by then failing and it was time to move on but Popplewell left me in no doubt.

Feelings may still run on this and others on here may differ in their view and recollection. You may wish to wait for further contributions before forming your own view.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 20/01/2017 16:13 by Farmer White.

rodders (IP Logged)
19 January, 2017 13:43
Totally agree with your penultimate paragraph FW and share your belief that the Popplewell intervention was key to the outcome partly due to his considerable intelligence and excellent articulation.
I was there and remember it as you outline but a long while back now..........!

Scotsman19 (IP Logged)
19 January, 2017 13:57
Thanks for your replies....In terms of what was the right decision or choice made, time will have been the best judge! Ian Botham, certainly no shrinking violet at the forefront defending his friends and workmates, however classified as a rebel yet has a stand named for him! For me I personally don't know enough about this time I am therefore grateful to those who were a lot closer to the action.

Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
19 January, 2017 14:05
I wondered why the conclusion on Peters death was buried out of sight, now we know. [www.espncricinfo.com]

I hope another enquiry will give Peter's family the answers they looking for on his sad death.

Clarence Parker (IP Logged)
20 January, 2017 14:01
Indeed, so do I Mike.

I read the 'Cricket Web' article which was attached to Farmer White's posting. Some of the comments made at the foot of it were as disdainful and vitriolic as some that have appeared on this site in the past, on the subject of Peter Roebuck.

I did not know him personally but did correspond with him on one occasion and was delighted to receive such a kind and understanding reply in return.

I confess to having been an admirer and supporter of him as a cricketer, as a captain and as one of the finest (if not the) cricket writers / broadcasters of certainly my time.

Of course he did wrong as we learnt from the proceedings at Taunton Crown Court in 2001 when he was given a suspended jail sentence. IMO that wiped the slate clean.

Towards the end of last year I read with great interest and sorrow a book by Tim Lane and Elliot Cartledge entitled ‘Chasing Shadows – The life & death of Peter Roebuck’. As well as being a dark book in places, it was for me painful to read.

The book revealed that many questions concerning the circumstances that led up to his death remain unanswered.

I simply hope that his family will find the answers that will give them closure on their personal loss.

Grizzzly (IP Logged)
20 January, 2017 15:17
Whatever his on field merits, I'm afraid I feel deeply uneasy every time I hear PR's name. This unease has only deepened after reading the book CP mentions above.

I feel similiarly uncomfortable every time I walk past his 'Hall of Fame' portrait.

Grizzzly

Angell Face (IP Logged)
20 January, 2017 16:37
"There's so much good in the worst of us and so much bad in the best of us that it hardly becomes any of us to talk about the rest of us". Attributed to Edgar Wallis Hoch (1849-1925) but disclaimed by him.

Farmer White (IP Logged)
20 January, 2017 16:39
Clarence

Thank you for pointing out the comments on the 'comments' thread at the bottom of the article which I posted. I must confess I had not read beyond the article itself, in fact not beyond the section about the Shepton Mallet meeting. Having read some of the comments (which were not in the article itself) I felt uneasy about having posted the link because of their nature. I make no judgement on Peter Roebuck. I would prefer that the Authorities properly investigate and come to a conclusion if possible. I have therefore removed the link (the remainder of my post stands on its own) because my intention had been simply to provide information about the Shepton Mallet Meeting and that was the best on-line description I found.

Farmer

Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
20 January, 2017 16:48
FW, I congratulate you for doing that.

I will leave my link because there are no readers post after it.

Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
26 January, 2017 11:19
Leicestershire have signed Surrey allrounder James Burke on a season-long loan deal. [www.espncricinfo.com]

Good luck to him but his career hasn't taken off since leaving Somerset.

Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
26 January, 2017 11:50
Another piece on Peter Roebuck. - [www.espncricinfo.com]

I remember something being said at the ground about that notice on Peter's locker around the same time this was all happening.

cricketharris (IP Logged)
26 January, 2017 17:14
Ladies - and maybe others- may appreciate photograhs of topless cricketers, including Nick Hutton, on pages 60 to 64 of February's Tatler magazine.

Grizzzly (IP Logged)
26 January, 2017 18:32
Think I'll give that a miss CH !

Grizzzly

Bagpuss (IP Logged)
27 January, 2017 10:24
Congratulations to Jack Leach and Lewis Gregory who have been selected for the MCC in the Champions County match season opener v Middlesex in the UAE in March.

Current Page: 1 of 22

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net