cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Somerset will or won't be Champions of the CC1 in

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Current Page: 20 of 30

Bagpuss
Re: Overton over there
Bagpuss (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 02:51
Bairstow hit on the left hand and gone off injured. Foakes keeping wicket.

Grizzzly
Grizzzly (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 03:08
Looks like your support for Cove has perked up Woakes, Tractor !

Grizzzly

Bagpuss
Bagpuss (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 03:56
Bairstow bruised but back on in time to take a catch. Wicket for Craig

geordie moonraker
geordie moonraker (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 08:22
The pleasing thing about Craig's figures is his economy rate which shows he learnt from his first game when he needed to adjust length.

Shepton Paul 2
Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 09:08
I'm a bit surprised Foakes hasn't had more of a go with the bat in the warm-up games - a useful batsman regardless of his keeping, we might need him if Vince and co don't come off.

Tom Seymour
Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 10:40
I hope that Craig is selected for the First Test, but I have a nagging doubt that he won't be.

Not long now before we find out.

A glass half - empty or a glass half - full?
Regardless, both glasses need filling up.

Loyal of Lhasa
Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 11:19
If they want Ball to bowl, then Broad is the man to be excluded.

LoL

Seventy Seasons a Somerset Supporter

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 12:15
Quote:
Shepton Paul 2
I'm a bit surprised Foakes hasn't had more of a go with the bat in the warm-up games - a useful batsman regardless of his keeping, we might need him if Vince and co don't come off.

Probably when, rather than if, in the case of Vince, I fear.

Having said that, Vince's primary weakness is poor shot selection outside off vs a moving ball. Should the tracks be dry, but not overly so, and the overhead conditions be fine, then the main enemy for England's batsmen may be pace and bounce, particularly at the Gabba and at the WACA and so Vince's specific achilles' heel may not trip him up as much as it would in England. I have no idea whether his game is well-suited to coping with extra pace and bounce.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/11/2017 12:17 by AGod.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 16:26
It's the same old situation. If Craig gets his shot then all well and good and he needs to take the opportunity.

If he isn't picked then he simply has to continue to do the stuff he has done all season to get himself considered and continue to believe that his chance will come because he is good enough.

Meanwhile he comes home with the confidence of being a bowler considered for an Ashes tour who can then get back to doing the important work of leading his county's bowling attack.

It's a positive winter for him either way.

Something like that worked for Jack last year. It will work for Craig this.

(Sm72)

RRANDREWS
Old Boy! (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 18:28
I see we have 12 players named in the current match (including the second keeper), yet it is called first class?
Old Boy

BristolRob
RadstockRob (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 19:27
Foakes is sub fielder.

SOMERSET THE TEAM TO WATCH.

Mike BOS
Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 22:13
Craig Overton is in "pole position" [www.bbc.co.uk]

Edit - to correct the link, I think I know what went wrong, I may have copied my email address line and not the page address line.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/11/2017 08:29 by Mike TA1.

MESSAGES->author
JuliaW (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 22:29
Quote:
Mike TA1
Craig Overton is in "pole position" [mg.mail.yahoo.com]

Mike that links me to a page encouraging me to sign up for a Sky Yahoo email address ...

Grizzzly
Grizzzly (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 23:16
Try this link:

[www.bbc.com]

Grizzzly

Mike BOS
Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
16 November, 2017 08:25
Sorry, I don't know what went wrong there.

I will edit it.

Somerset LaLaLa
Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
16 November, 2017 12:27
George Dobell in good form today:

[www.espncricinfo.com]

Compares the game in preparation for Brisbane as buying a cornetto to go on an artic trek

Shepton Paul 2
Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
16 November, 2017 14:56
Love GD, esp the bit about the laid-back easy-going crocs.

Grizzzly
Grizzzly (IP Logged)
16 November, 2017 15:18
GD not doing much for his prospects of being appointed as Tourism Development Manager for Townsville !

Grizzzly

Somerset LaLaLa
Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
16 November, 2017 17:10
Apparently Townsville is named after Robert Towns so not such a daft name

sfwithers
sfwithers (IP Logged)
16 November, 2017 21:48
My memory of Townsville (when I was cycling from Cairns to Melbourne - I was young!!) is of the bats that fly over it at twilight, thousands upon thousands of them flying in formation for 5-10 minutes - like something from a 1960s vampire film. Never saw any cricket there, though. And on a cricket-related note, I can't see how Overton can't be picked. Then again, if memory serves, he (implicitly) was given a guarantee that he would play in a one-day match this summer. So I'll wait and see. I might even get to see some of it this year- courtesy of my father's Sky contract rather than travelling to Oz. Ah well...

Bagpuss
Bagpuss (IP Logged)
16 November, 2017 21:58
Hope your father has a BT contract as well sfw or you still won't see the Ashes.

sfwithers
sfwithers (IP Logged)
16 November, 2017 22:17
Nope, looks like it's Five Live Sports Extra - like listening to Radio Four back in the day!

Bagpuss
Bagpuss (IP Logged)
17 November, 2017 00:50
The advantage is not having to get up and go downstairs to watch, just the radio under the duvet.

wsm fan
wsm fan (IP Logged)
17 November, 2017 07:38
Very clever of Craig saving all his runs for Brisbane.
No sense showing the Aussies all his shots before the main event. Good work.

Roll on Wednesday 11.30pm. Not looked forward to a toss / team selection so much since Sept25 v Middlesex.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/11/2017 07:39 by wsm fan.

That Bloke With The Dog
17 November, 2017 14:38
You might not have to listen to it under the duvet. If you have an EE contract for your mobile, then you're entitled to 3 free months of BT Sports on that phone, so you can watch it under the duvet.

Mind you, with Dobell reporting how eager the England management are to have Ball available, it might all prove academic anyway.

Bagpuss
Bagpuss (IP Logged)
18 November, 2017 06:10
TBWTD that is amazing news. I'd assumed you'd need BT mobile! I may have to upgrade my phone to windows10 for it to work...

RRANDREWS
Old Boy! (IP Logged)
18 November, 2017 09:19
Yes I'm afraid Craig's best shot is to sit out the first test and see how his opposition does. I thought his batting was going to be the deciding factor but 3 ducks doesn't help his cause.
Old Boy!

Tom Seymour
Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
18 November, 2017 09:46
Yes a disappointing run of (no) scores Old Boy. He has scored useful runs for Somerset, hits the ball hard but I do not consider at the moment (but I hope it will come) a wide enough range of shots to be put into the all rounder category.

He must use his head and seize his chance when it comes, but I am not sure that it will be as soon as next week.

A glass half - empty or a glass half - full?
Regardless, both glasses need filling up.

That Bloke With The Dog
18 November, 2017 10:08
Here's the link to setting up your free 3 months of BT Sport on your phone, Bagpuss:

[ee.co.uk]

The Register and Set-Up menu is the one which tells you what to do. The Troubleshooting one is worth glancing at first, though, because sorting out the settings on your phone correctly before installing the app (principally making sure you've switched Location Services to ON) prevents a lot of the frustration which usually accompanies this sort of thing.

It's worth it though. I have three-years-old iPhone 5s, and the pictures from Down Under are astonishingly good. It's a wonderful treat before you nod off, and with the iPhone's night setting, the pictures filter out the colours which prevent you sleeping (always a problem with traditional TV pictures).

(Make sure your phone is set to your home wi-fi, of course, to avoid data costs.)

Bagpuss
Bagpuss (IP Logged)
18 November, 2017 10:22
I have a Windows phone but its only windows 8 atm so will need to upgrade it. Also no home WiFi (broadband speed here struggles to reach 1mbps so wouldn't work for streaming even if I got it) so my mobile broadband limit of 3gb will need topping up but still think it'll be cheaper than getting a couple of months BT sport with Sky. So thanks 👍

Current Page: 20 of 30

This Thread has been closed
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net