cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Time to the New Year

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Current Page: 21 of 22

Re: 2017 SCCC PLAYERS OLD AND NEW
brt1919 (IP Logged)
28 September, 2017 12:47
So, Adam Hose left to play on a test match ground, but will end up playing against Div2 players, whereas if he'd stayed, he'd be playing against Div 1 standard next season. And possibly on a fair few test match grounds too! Ah well, still a shame he left, but certainly Byrom looks to have done enough to establish himself for next year in his place.

AGod (IP Logged)
28 September, 2017 13:00
Hose must, surely, have known that the odds heavily favoured the drop for Warks when he signed there?

It might be that he sees himself more as a future white ball star, who knows?

I agree that Eddie Byrom seems very promising, both technically and temperamentally.

However, I don't think we want to go into next season with the current top three and only those three as candidates for top three places. We need competition for places. Is Tom going to stay at number five now? Is he at five because they decided that his technique is better suited there? Is it to give him a break due to his captaincy duties? Or was it just a temporary reaction to his very, very poor form at three in the early part of the season? If Tom is going to stay at number five and Myburgh is going to be confined to white ball then the three currently in possession would be the only candidates - not a good situation - as things stand.

I shall be interested to see what Andy Hurry's ideas re: a potential overseas signing look like...

brt1919 (IP Logged)
28 September, 2017 13:44
Yes I agree that he might be thinking more of white ball, & of course, financial security. I can't see us being without Craig next season (Anderson/Broad still in top form) so I'd be amazed if we don't sign a similar overseas player to Elgar

AGod (IP Logged)
28 September, 2017 14:26
Jimmy/Broad have had lots of injuries lately, though, and have a hard tour of Aus ahead of them.

I think Cove may get a Test or two this winter and, if he goes well, then they may slap an incremental contract on him.

Woakes has recently been injured. Wood is always injured, Ball has had problems etc etc

I think we have to plan on being without Cove and then, if we are with him, count that as a pleasant surprise for us (though perhaps not for him).

Grockle (IP Logged)
28 September, 2017 14:28
Hose was thinking past 2020 when for his white ball career we are no prospect at all.

He wants to open in white ball cricket and he needs to get a rep in that so that he is picked up by a franchise in Uber 2020.

It's pretty simple and good luck (and other things) to him

(Sm72)

Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
28 September, 2017 20:44
Not too sure what to make of Jim Allenby's twitter remark that he went to the tip 3 times today

hantssabre (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 08:31
Interesting article in the Times this morning about Craig Kieswetter

[www.thetimes.co.uk]

Grockle (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 08:55
I know he had access to the funds to be able to do it but you have to admire how he has got his life sorted out again. Good luck to him.

(Sm72)

cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 10:34
Dean Elgar 165 not out for South Africa against Bangladesh today.

Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 14:38
Dean Elgar out for 199.

Grockle (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 15:35
Strange tweet from Jim Allenby this afternoon giving a note to people who asked why there was no comment from him in the club's announcement that he was leaving. That is something he can't comment on it seems.

I'll try and work out how to share it.

Check out @jimallenby’s Tweet: [twitter.com]

Here you go if it works.

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/09/2017 15:45 by Grockle.

Roger ivanhoe (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 16:59
sour grapes from Allenby, I'm afraid.

It was his comments on air that started rumours of others leaving.

Bagpuss (IP Logged)
30 September, 2017 08:54
A full house for last night's end if season dinner. Presentations made to the departing Jim Allenby, Matt Maynard and Daz Veness, along with a "lifetime achievement" to Tres for breaking Harold Gimblett's record for Sonerset centuries.

Craig Overton swept the board with three awards - supporters' POTY, championship POTY and overall POTY.

Dean Elgar - RLODC POTY

Roelof van der Merwe - T20 POTY and the Champagne Moment award for his 165* v Surrey in the RLODC.

Eddie Byrom - Academy POTY

Paul van Meekeren - Cricket in the Community Award

It was nice to see the KSL-winning Western Storm players represented during the evening and recognised with Claire Nicholas picking up the POTY and Rachel Priest the Players' POTY, voted for by her teammates.

Grockle (IP Logged)
30 September, 2017 09:10
Well to be fair in relation to Jim Allenby Roger it was an over enthusiastic Cricinfo correspondent I think turning that and a bit of rumour into an unsubstatiated story.

(Sm72)

Grizzzzly (IP Logged)
30 September, 2017 09:53
Any news on how Lewis G's surgery went ?

Grizzzly

Grockle (IP Logged)
30 September, 2017 10:07
Successful and he is in rehab Grizzz was the last news I heard.

(Sm72)

30 September, 2017 10:35
agree Grockle, and he made the comments to Alan Gibson.

Lewis Gregory was involved in the celebrations (if they remain to be that) around the ground on Thursday, I was told by a couple of players that he was very positive on a complete recovery.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/09/2017 13:48 by Roger ivanhoe.

Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
30 September, 2017 10:49
I sincerely hope not to Alan Gibson, Roger, for he died several years ago.

Anthony Gibson perhaps?

A glass half - empty or a glass half - full?
Regardless, both glasses need filling up.

30 September, 2017 10:56
yes Tom sorry, I meant Anthony Gibson.

Rather shows my age I am afraid.

Grizzzzly (IP Logged)
30 September, 2017 13:07
Thanks for the info. all. That is certainly good news.

Grizzzly

Current Page: 21 of 22

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net