cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Time until I see some live home cricket. Bring on 2017!!!

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Still Alive And Still Hoping
rodders (IP Logged)
18 January, 2017 18:07
....but not really too optimistic for the coming season. Lost Rogers who got some useful runs and recruited a player who will be missing a lot - no other additions and other counties have strengthened so no real reason to suppose we will achieve the Holy Grail. Hope as always to be proven wrong but fear I may have to hang on to life ( TIC ) for at least another year unless some more recruitment takes place - in my view we need another front line pace bowler and are terribly dependant on some rather aging cricketers to continue performing when it might be fairer to suppose that they are past their best - just my view of course but.................we all know who they are !
Anyway a very happy and healthy 2017 to all members of the forum !!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2017 10:12 by Grockle.

Re: Well I Am Still Alive And Still Hoping
Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
18 January, 2017 18:36
A happy and healthy 2017 to you too, rodders.

I'd say that Steven Davies is a strengthening addition - and that I would expect Elgar to be every bit as productive as Rogers. They're both left-handed international top order batsmen with some experience, both gritty and solid rather than exciting. Rogers brought captaincy skills, while Elgar brings adequate slow left-arm and is a better fielder than the Rogers. On the expectation that he's available for 11 or 12 of the 14 CC games, I'd stick my neck out and say he won't get fewer runs than Rogers

So I'm a bit more hopeful than you - but then we could have guessed that 😉 All the best to us all for a great Somerset summer.

Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
18 January, 2017 21:16
In my opinion we could well be stronger this summer than last in that a number of the younger players are still going to continue to improve from season to season. If each of Abell, Cove, Jove, Lewis, Leach and Bess were to be just 5% more effective in 2017 than in 2016, that would make the side seriously stronger. Davies Minor will also improve if given enough opportunity.

Meanwhile Hildreth has yet to reach his apogee and that lad Trescothick doesn't seem to be getting any worse, either.

LoL

Sixty-nine Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Clarence Parker (IP Logged)
18 January, 2017 22:09
Very good to hear from you again Rodders12, and I trust that you are keeping well.

I share your general sense of feeling, and I feel myself that we shall miss Rogers more than just his runs alone. Not only was he our captain, but also a good leader and motivator of men.

We shall have to wait to see how it all pans out.

Thanks also for your PM's last season. It is good to exchange views with a like - minded person.

geordie moonraker (IP Logged)
19 January, 2017 00:16
I think I share Lol's feelings here- although I have to say that every January I think it's our year. I know we've lost CR but I honestly think we are stronger than we were in 2016 if it all comes together.

Farmer White (IP Logged)
19 January, 2017 01:14
I am relatively new to this site Rodders and your 'Well I am still alive post' is the first I have heard of you but others seem to be pleased with your resurrection and so welcome back from me too. As to whether Somerset's Championship prospects will be resurrected in 2017 I have the following thoughts:

Five times in the last ten years the runners up in one season have won the Championship in the next. Seven of the ten have been won by the team coming first or second the previous season. The historical odds favour us or Middlesex this season.

Seven of the last ten Championships have been won by teams playing on home pitches particularly suited to their bowling attacks. Durham three times, Yorkshire twice, and Nottinghamshire all played on result pitches especially suited to their pace attacks or developed pace attacks to suit their pitches. Mike Newall at Nottinghamshire used to request early season home matches. Warwickshire produced spin friendly pitches and had a left arm paceman resulting in rough for Patel. Middlesex moved some of their matches to outgrounds to improve the prospects of a result.

Somerset's charge in the second half of last season came on pitches helpful to spinners although not in my view from behind the arm unfairly spin friendly. Whether Somerset continue to produce such pitches remains to be seen but Simon Lee has shown it is possible.

Having an outstanding coach/director of cricket helps. Geoff Cook at Durham. Jason Gillespie at Yorkshire. Angus Fraser at Middlesex. Ashley Giles at Warwickshire even if the grinding style of cricket, well, grates. Whether Matt Maynard will turn out to be in this league remains to be seen although the team has much improved in his time.

Team spirit is crucial. Sometimes it is goes a long way on its own with a squad not obviously Championship material. Lancashire in 2011. Whether Somerset can replicate the team spirit of the second half of last season remains to be seen. Seven times in the last ten years teams have done so.

A well balanced squad with quality, depth and variety is a pre-requisite. We have that. Whether sufficiently so remains to be seen.

Somerset are, on paper, stronger than a year ago. Whether sufficiently so remains to be seen but the squad is both balanced and deep. Other teams have strengthened. Whether by too much remains to be seen.

All remains to be seen and yet...

It seems to me we have enough of the attributes which have won Championships in recent years for it to be a real prospect in 2017. If Matt Maynard and Tom Abell can instil sufficient belief and team spirit and sustain it for a whole season like Maynard and Rogers did for half of last season and if Simon Lee can produce the result pitches then that might just be sufficient for the squad we have to get and keep its nose in front of the rest.

At the end of the day from the all round strength of position we start from belief may be the key.

Grizzzly (IP Logged)
19 January, 2017 04:05
Excellent summary of our prospects FW, with which I entirely agree.

Seems to me that your last paragraph (particularly the word "if") puts things in a nutshell.

Tom Abell's Captaincy skills will be key to our success or otherwise this year, as will our collective ability, or otherwise, to start playing to our potential from the very START of the season.

Grizzzly

Grockle (IP Logged)
19 January, 2017 06:03
Welcome to 2017 Rodders.

I agree with the posts about the loss of CR from a captaincy point of view and the need for Tom to be a captain from ball one. We need him to be his own man, not following some 'club' strategy blindly, we've shown we aren't good at working out those.

He will also have to show a good sense of judgement because he will need to use the experience the side offers him but be willing to ignore the advice as well.

Have to also agree that with Elgar and Davis we should have more than covered the fairly limited run contribution of Rogers last year. Had Chris hit the form he started to show at the end of the season in April who knows where we might have ended up

(Sm72)

Re: Still Alive And Still Hoping
Grockle (IP Logged)
19 January, 2017 08:35
Just altered the title a little - hope you don't mind Rodders - as this is the better of two 'start of the season' threads. Rather than have two I've closed the other one and put this one at the top as a kind of analysis of the early months one.

Hope that is OK.

(Sm72)

rodders (IP Logged)
19 January, 2017 10:57
Quote:
Grockle
Just altered the title a little - hope you don't mind Rodders - as this is the better of two 'start of the season' threads. Rather than have two I've closed the other one and put this one at the top as a kind of analysis of the early months one.
Hope that is OK.

No problem Grockle - I did wonder how I got to be a Sticky !!

Grockle (IP Logged)
19 January, 2017 14:25
Thanks Rodders. Don't delve too far into the 'stickyness' It's never pretty. 😱😱

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/01/2017 14:25 by Grockle.

Big Jim (IP Logged)
02 February, 2017 17:39
It's pretty obvious in my book, so get that champagne on ice. This year really is the year we bring it home. Somerset CCC, County Champions 2017. Get in.

sfwithers (IP Logged)
02 February, 2017 18:15
I like your thinking, Big Jim, though I'm not sure I'm quite so convinced!

03 February, 2017 11:16
If BJ says so, it IS so.

But first I'd like to hear the great man's predictions for the Six Nations.

LoL

Bobstan (IP Logged)
03 February, 2017 11:32
For the information of Farmer White, I have to say that this is an unusually downbeat post from Big Jim. He's usually so optimistic.

03 February, 2017 11:47
Some of us have been trying for years to get BJ to come down from the fence but to little avail.

LoL

Farmer White (IP Logged)
03 February, 2017 12:19
Only the County Championship Big Jim? Have faith!

Big Jim (IP Logged)
03 February, 2017 14:00
I thought there was only one competition, the rest a knockabout for the real thing. As for the six nations...if anyone is emailing me, my regular account has been closed down, I think it might have something to fo with Fuhrer Trump, so text me and I can forward you my business address.
All that aside, I go for;

Ireland
England
France
Scotland
Wales
Italy

Back to the cricket, was chuffed to read that Rogers is coming back, we seem to need an Aussie about the place....and not just to make sure the barbecue goes well.

Happy new year one and all, not long to go now.

sfwithers (IP Logged)
03 February, 2017 16:22
England
Ireland
Scotland
France
Wales
Italy

(Big Jim - You'll see why I don't bet very often with these predictions - though I'm actually ahead with the bookies in my betting life, though that consists of about 7 or 8 bets in 10 years! My biggest win was on Italy winning the world cup in 2006, a fiver at 9-1, and I've also won on Bradley Wiggins and Chris Froome winning the Tour de France. I haven't got huge confidence in England winning - I might have but for their injuries - but Jones is such a great manager he may get them over the line. I'm hoping so...)

adelaide (IP Logged)
16 February, 2017 11:01
Quote:
Farmer White
Middlesex moved some of their matches to outgrounds to improve the prospects of a result.

Just to clarify, Middlesex have to use outgrounds for a match or two because Lord's is unavailable. We got a result last year at Merchant Taylors School but Uxbridge, when used, has been pretty dead in recent years. Southgate hasn't been used for several years, much to my annoyance living within walking distance! But if Lord's were available, I'm sure it would be used, despite Middlesex seemingly having no input into pitch preparation.

Adelaide

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net