cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Time until the start of our new season of activity. Bring on 2017!!!

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

SCCC 1967-2017
Grizzzly (IP Logged)
29 January, 2017 01:44
Am sure this has been done before, but what the heck.

How about this XI for the top team we could have fielded in Championship, (or 40/50 over cricket), across the last fifty years, noting a simplistic limit of two overseas players:

1) Rose B (Capt.)

2) Trescothick

3) Richards

4) Hildreth

5) Botham

6) Blackwell

7) Trego

8) Turner (WK)

9) Leach

10) Caddick

11) Garner

Very close calls between Peter Trego & Graham Rose for number 7., and between Jack Leach, Mushtaq & Vic Marks for number 9.

Who have I missed out ?

Grizzzly

Re: SCCC 1967-2017
nelliec (IP Logged)
30 January, 2017 21:40
Would probably place Vic ahead of Jack at present.Graham Burgess would probably have run both Blackie and Tregs close , and Hallum might have played , although I don't think his fielding would quite hold up nowadays, to put it nicely.Turner or Merv Kitchen??

sfwithers (IP Logged)
30 January, 2017 23:34
Decent looking team. I'll have a think about this when I'm less distracted (jury service today, which was grim) but it's hard to disagree with many of your choices - and you even question your own choices: Rose/Trego are two of my favourites and I think VJM would take the spinning all-rounder role. And much as I love 'Budgie', who hit one of the biggest sixes I ever saw (Bath, 1970s), I think Blackwell and Trego would both get my vote. Would like to get Cartwright in there somewhere, too.

Grizzzly (IP Logged)
31 January, 2017 05:00
Yes, TC was another tough call. I only saw him play a few times, so I'm not really sure how he would measure up, or indeed who to leave out if he comes in !

Grizzzly

Railboy (IP Logged)
02 February, 2017 22:53
Presumably selection should be based on a player's performances for us? In which case I don't think we saw the best of Cartwright.
I think in the interest of balance and lengthening the batting Vic Marks would get it over Jack with Blackwell performing the left arm spinner role. Hopefully by this time next year I will disagree with myself!
As much as we loved Rob T, I personally would have Craig K behind the stumps and batting 6

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2017 23:41 by Railboy.

Grockle (IP Logged)
04 February, 2017 08:01
Rob T every time but the Rob T from the season where he was robbed of an England tour by the powers listening to Daddy Mickey who recommended Alec when he wasn't keeping well. That season Rob batted and kept like a dream and was fobbed off by an A tour as a joint skipper with Alleyne.

(Sm72)

sfwithers (IP Logged)
06 February, 2017 09:54
For a limited over game I might suggest something along the following lines:
1) Kieswetter (wk)
2) Trescothick
3) Richards
4) Hildreth
5) Botham
6) Blackwell
7) Trego
8) G D Rose
9) Marks (Capt)
10) Garner
11) Caddick

It would be an entertaining line-up with aggressive batting down to number 8 and a very short tail. The bowling formation of Garner/Caddick/Botham/Blackwell and Marks, supported by Rose and Trego, doesn't look too shabby either. Though having no Rose in there I'm going for VJM as captain (unless I replace Hildreth with Close)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2017 13:16 by sfwithers.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net