cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Time until I see some live home cricket. Bring on 2017!!!

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
2017 NEWS SNIPPETS
Bagpuss (IP Logged)
20 February, 2017 09:31
At the IPL auction today Ben Stokes became the highest priced overseas player in the history of the tournament, going for an equivalent (at today's exchange rate) of £1.7M.

Tymal Mills was rewarded for his battles to stay in the professional game as an exclusive T20 player when he went for £1.4M. Chris Woakes (£500K) and Eoin Morgan (£240K) were also sold in the first round, whilst Jason Roy (£120K) and Chris Jordan (£50K) were picked up in the second round.

Alex Hales and Johnny Bairstow went unsold, as did the player who tops the ICC T20 bowling rankings, Imran Tahir.

Re: 2017 NEWS SNIPPETS
mikeindex (IP Logged)
20 February, 2017 15:21
Seems a bit of a lottery. For some reason the franchises take a fancy to certain players not others. I'd certainly pick Hales or Bairstow ahead of Roy or Morgan.

Tymal Mills' situation seems utterly bizarre. How can his back be so bad he can't even bowl ten overs in an afternoon, but can still bowl four fast enough, often enough, to be worth that money?

Baffled of Taunton

PS How much did Carlos Brathwaite fetch?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/02/2017 15:41 by mikeindex.

mikeindex (IP Logged)
20 February, 2017 15:33
... apparently no-one wanted him either. Funny old world.

Is Jos in it this year? I see he's mentioned on Cricinfo a few days ago as a likely starter in Mumbai Indians' XI, but he's not on the Sold list. This may or may not mean something.

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
20 February, 2017 15:41
Carlos Braithwaite with Delhi Daredevils. Some were half way through 2 year deals, so weren't in the auction. Jos Buttler already with Mumbai Indians.

Full squads here-

[www.financialexpress.com]

mikeindex (IP Logged)
20 February, 2017 15:43
Thanks Chunky.
Evidently I don't understand how these things work. Can't say I feel terribly apologetic.

20 February, 2017 15:50
Neither do I, Mike.

It only interests me in as much as which english players miss all of April and half of May.

It always used to annoy me when Middlesex batsman battled their way through April and May in bowler friendly conditions- and then which ever poor devil was only averaging 25 (because of bowler friendly conditions) would end up losing his place to Eoin Morgan, who, I'm sure, would also have only averaged 25 in England in April and May. Still, we're wise to that now, so even when he does return, he doesn't get in the championship side.

mikeindex (IP Logged)
20 February, 2017 15:50
Well said Chunky.
These days I doubt Morgan would average anything like 25 in England in April/May (especially if he had to bat against bowlers like Rushworth, Brooks and Tim G), given his unfamiliarity with the conditions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/02/2017 15:56 by mikeindex.

sandhills (IP Logged)
20 February, 2017 18:04
Interesting favourite for the job. Wonder if Guy thinks the writing is on the wall for Somerset because of the city t20 . [www.espncricinfo.com]

Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
21 February, 2017 09:36
There's no indication here that Lavender is even interested in or after the job.

Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
21 February, 2017 13:00
Exciting ODI between Afghanistan and Zimbabwe. The latter slipped from 121/5 to be 129 all out. Then Afghanistan also reached 121/5 and appeared to be coasting to victory with bags of overs to spare but were dismissed for 126.

LoL

Sixty-nine Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Clarence Parker (IP Logged)
21 February, 2017 14:04
Guy Lavender is the CEO of a club that has successfully developed their ground, and consistently made profits, which are the envy of a number of other counties.

Coupled with this he joined us on the back of seeing the successful completion of the sailing venue at Weymouth / Portland, for the London Olympics in 2012, and he certainly talks a good line. Somerset, I imagine, is just another stepping stone in his career development, so I am sure that he would think seriously about such a post if and when the opportunity arose.

Who could blame him?

21 February, 2017 15:37
Any more than one could blame Richard Gould. All is fair in love, war and employment,

LoL

Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
24 February, 2017 08:37
A third suspect has been arrested by the National Crime Agency as part of an investigation into cricket spot-fixing.

The British man, who is in his 30s, was arrested in Sheffield and has since been bailed pending further inquiries.

Pakistan cricketer Nasir Jamshed was one of two men arrested earlier this month, with both bailed until April.
[www.bbc.co.uk]

Ajay (IP Logged)
02 March, 2017 19:45
Not sure if this is the correct thread but here goes.

I understand that poster name 'William Blessing' known as Derek has sadly passed away.

He added on here infrequently on the 'Rural Rides' thread and was often commenting on the weekly club cricket page update from Stockwood Keith.

He was a great supporter of Bristol Rugby Club and I believe lived close to the Memorial Ground in Bristol.

Several warm comments on the Bristol Rugby Site.

02 March, 2017 19:53
That's a shame.

Rest in peace.

mikeindex (IP Logged)
02 March, 2017 20:02
Very sad news Ajay, but thank you for sharing it.
William Blessing's comments here were invariably amiable and thoroughly readable. He will be missed.

Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
02 March, 2017 20:18
Very sad to hear of that news, RIP.

Grockle (IP Logged)
03 March, 2017 07:25
Thanks for letting us know Ajay. Very sad news. However occasional William's posts were they were always interesting and amiable and shot through with his own character and slight eccentricities.

Could you pass our commiseration on to his family and friends and tell them he was always welcome here and will be missed.

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2017 07:26 by Grockle.

geordie moonraker (IP Logged)
03 March, 2017 10:07
And I add my own thoughts to those of Grockle. An interesting man

03 March, 2017 11:48
I am sure I am among many here who derived great pleasure from William Blessing's occasional and usually whimsical contributions. He was one of several posters whom I would really like to have met.

LoL

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net