cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Time to the New Year

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Re: 2017 NEWS SNIPPETS
chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
03 March, 2017 12:22
This is both funny and sad in equal measure

[www.bristolpost.co.uk]

One thing Derek/William did say on the Bath rugby forum was that his stroke had affected his personalty and behaviour slightly (and strokes can do that sometimes) so I suspect this may have been a factor in his posts not always being relevant.

I won't provide the link- but he was posting on Bath Rugby forum right up to 28th Feb- and his last few posts (as Henry Hell) referenced he wasn't feeling well.

I felt really quite sad after reading the thread- I hope posting there gave him some happiness.

Farmer White (IP Logged)
03 March, 2017 13:39
William Blessing came before my time on here with the exception of one Rural Rides post, as far as I recall. It stuck in my mind though. The responses of others to his passing suggest a name and personality that was appreciated and will be remembered. I have a view on these things:

Our time is finite but our contribution forms a part of any that receive it and is distilled into the contribution they make; and so on as each generation follows the next. Our contribution becomes refined and rarified but its essence endures.

So will it be with William Blessing.

Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
03 March, 2017 14:56
I don't know if this link will work, I did a search for WilliamBlessing with this result. [www.cricketnetwork.co.uk]

Farmer White (IP Logged)
03 March, 2017 15:09
Mike

It seems to have worked to the extent of 34 pages and 1000 posts. All seem to be in 2015 although I have only looked at random pages.

Farmer

Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
03 March, 2017 15:18
Since he had his stroke he didn't post as often.

if you go back to some of his older post you will see details of his long walks.

Grizzzly (IP Logged)
03 March, 2017 15:25
WB certainly sounded like one of life's characters. RIP.

Grizzzly

Ajay (IP Logged)
13 March, 2017 15:55
Cricket Archive

Has anyone else noticed that access to this site is now largely behind a Pay Wall.
A 24 hour view is free but anything after that is £4.99 a month or £40 odd pounds per year.

Many a query has been solved by looking at a scorecard or details from this free site in the past. I am sure many posters on here will be inconvenienced. Much of the historic info has been researched and forwarded to CA by volunteers. It seems a bit rich that they have now decided on the pay per view approach.

The reason given is that they can do away with adverts which were clogging up the site and slowing delivery speeds.

I for one am extremely disappointed by this.

Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
13 March, 2017 16:30
Disappointing indeed. It will make setting and answering PQQ questions much harder (or more expensive). I shall request that the ruling be sent upstairs for an amendmento in the Lords (not Lord's) to the effect that exception should be made for fully paid up nerds (photo of anorak-wearing applicant required).

I add, however, that the site had become a bit overloaded by information on cricketers below senior level. It seems that if you played one match for Middle Zoyland Colts Third XI you could have your name added to the list.

LoL

Sixty-nine Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Clarence Parker (IP Logged)
13 March, 2017 16:39
One could always try this site : -

[stats.thecricketer.com]

All is surely not lost.

Clarence Parker (IP Logged)
13 March, 2017 18:52
Whilst looking briefly at the 'Cricket Archive' website, I noticed that there no longer appears to be a link to the records of most of the First Class counties that used to appear thereon.

I believe that they were referred to as 'Partner Sites', and as Somerset was one such 'partner', I found it to be a very useful source of information.

old boy! (IP Logged)
15 March, 2017 21:03
I have just looked at the BBC Cricket Section and it clearly states that this season (2017) Two relegated from Division 1 to Division 2 and One promoted from 2 to 1.That would leave 7 in Division 1 and 11 in Division 2!! Clearly some numpty has copied last years tables info and assumed the same for this year!
Old Boy!!

Scrumper (IP Logged)
16 March, 2017 00:18
They must be hung, drawn and quartered.

Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
27 April, 2017 11:38
Cricket's bosses have reversed a decision which effectively handed control of the sport to India, England and Australia.
The International Cricket Council (ICC) decided in 2014 that the 'Big Three' should have more powers over how the game is run and its financial split. [www.bbc.co.uk]

Even though the original decision has been reversed you can still guess who voted against the new deal.

Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
03 May, 2017 14:24
I've mentioned earlier that Durham have three players this season whose fathers all played Test cricket for South Africa. In recent matches these three men, Cook, Jennings and Richardson, have been the first three in the order (they were the top scorers today). Whether any other side's first three batsmen have all been the sons of Test players I do not know, but I think it highly improbable that the fathers would have played for a country in which the side their sons played for is not based.

Prove me wrong, someone.

LoL

Sixty-nine Seasons a Somerset Supporter

AG on apple (IP Logged)
04 May, 2017 11:38
Hurrah!

I've just noticed Mike's post and what marvellous news (news which had passed me by).

In your face, loathsome and worthless ECB, unspeakable BCCI.

AG on apple (IP Logged)
04 May, 2017 12:41
Hilariously it looks as though the BCCI may take their ball home and refuse to take part in any ICC tournaments. They have failed to register a squad for the Champions Trophy.

Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
30 June, 2017 11:14
Now here's a novelty.

English international and domestic cricket will be shown live on BBC TV for the first time in 21 years from 2020.
In a five-year deal with the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECcool smiley, more than 100 hours of cricket will be broadcast each summer.
[www.bbc.co.uk]

Dave65 (IP Logged)
30 June, 2017 11:39
This new TV deal looks like the ECB putting another nail in the coffin of county cricket to me.

Grockle (IP Logged)
30 June, 2017 11:59
I'd love to see if there is any correlation between the fall of participation rates of children between the age of let's say 9 and 15 in the UK and the removal of free to air cricket on TV courtesy of our old compadre Giles Clarke of blessed memory.

The ECB will now laud this as a new innovation to help improve the participation rates probably decreased because they sold cricket's soul to the satellite broadcasters and took it away from an audience who could not afford the rates.

(Sm72)

AG on apple (IP Logged)
30 June, 2017 12:15
What a star Giles was.

And look what the ECB plans to pump into people's homes now - T20..

What, oh what, could the ECB's motivation be in particularly wanting to promote T20?.. on a postcard to the man from Morrisons (or wherever they dug him up from)

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net