cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Time until the start of our new season of activity. Bring on 2017!!!

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
The season starts with friendly matches.
Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
18 March, 2017 08:25
Well it's about to start.

With Somerset v Gloucester friendly starting a three day match on Sunday 19th of March.

I hope to be there to take photos, how much I am there depends the weather, in the last few days the winds have been so bitterly cold. I don't want to start the new season with frost bite.

Re: The season starts with friendly matches.
Roger ivanhoe (IP Logged)
18 March, 2017 11:49
Mike, do you know if the St James Car Park and entrance will be open ?

Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
18 March, 2017 12:25
Not the St James Street entrance for cars, providing there are spaces you can enter by Priory Bridge Road entrance and drive through to the car park.

Even though the new gates are up there is a small wall being built and there is still the ground work around the gates to be done.

Roger ivanhoe (IP Logged)
18 March, 2017 13:50
Many thanks Mike.

Clarence Parker (IP Logged)
18 March, 2017 13:53
What happened to the J C White gates? I'm sure many people will say J C Who?

Farmer White (IP Logged)
18 March, 2017 14:11
Clarence

When it was announced the work on the St James' St. entrance was due to start I e-mailed the club to suggest the 'JCW' circle in the centre of each gate might be removed and placed in the museum. I received this reply which I have cut and pasted from the e mail I received:

"Unfortunately the JCW gates are being removed as work needs to be completed to widen the entrance to allow for lorries to enter the ground ahead of our International matches.

We do however appreciate the importance of these gates and they will therefore be stored until such time we can re-incorporate them back into the Ground."

Also, in the Autumn, I spoke to Guy Lavender in the Stragglers about the plans and he assured me the new gates would be branded the JCW gates. He was as good as his word. They have a large central circle emblazoned with the club's wyvern logo with 'JCW' at the centre of it. It is a bit bright for my liking but no-one will miss it!

Farmer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/03/2017 14:23 by Farmer White.

Bobstan (IP Logged)
18 March, 2017 14:34
I'm a little disappointed with Farmer White's reply to you, CP.
I was hoping he would say 'J C Who?'

Bagpuss (IP Logged)
18 March, 2017 15:03
Trescothick
Bartlett
Abell (c)
Hildreth
Davies (w)
Trego
Allenby
vd Merwe
Davey
Bess
J Overton
v Meekeren
Hose

18 March, 2017 15:31
Thank you Farmer for that information.

I sincerely hope that the new gates are emblazoned with the club's Dragon logo with 'JCW' at the centre of the circle, and not a Wyvern.

Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
18 March, 2017 17:17
Taken today

http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p490/cricketphotos1/Cricket%20Photos/Ground%20redevelopment%20all%20years/New%20JCW%20gates.jpg

The gates are the same both sides.

Farmer White (IP Logged)
19 March, 2017 00:36
Clarence

As you can see from Mike's photo the emblem on the new JCW gates is the four legged dragonian version. The question though for me is: when is a dragon not a dragon? Answer: When it is a Wyvern.

To me, throughout my whole existence, our emblem has always been The Wyvern. Now you tell me it is a dragon. Oh shatterer of dreams! A Wyvernless Somerset. This cannot be. Are you by any chance the person who spread the rumour that Santa Claus does not exist? How are we to survive without the comfort of our illusions?

And so in an attempt to put my Wyvernical illusion back together I have investigated this. Every heraldic authority and every expert in myth and legend I can find tells me: if it has four legs it is a dragon. But I say: who are they to tell us what to call our Wyvern?

Holding tight to my dream I have sought the opinion of a higher authority than mere experts. On page 259 of his book, 'A Year in the Life of Somerset CCC' Andy Nash refers to 'our wyvern'. Further he says Lansdown CC 'maintain our wyvern is a descendant of their griffin.' Now, Lansdown CC adopted the griffin as their emblem in 1825 well before Somerset CCC was formed and even longer before any of us were born so who are we to argue with them. It is a Wyvern.

And then I referred to the greatest authority of all. Tractor, on his website, once dealt with any possibility of confusion between a Somerset and a Yorkshire player with the following statement: 'To clear up any confusion our MJ Wood wears the Somerset Wyvern motif on his front, Yorkshire's MJ Wood doesn't.'

King Alfred's Wessex had as its national emblem the Wyvern not the dragon. If the Wyvern was good enough for King Alfred it is surely good enough for us. It is true King Alfred's Wyvern only had two legs and was supported by its tail. But then for much of last season so was our batting. And what are a couple of extra short legs between friends? It is a Wyvern.

I think then the question is not: is our Wyvern a dragon but rather when did King Alfred's Wyvern acquire two extra legs? Perhaps Lansdown CC and their griffin are to blame, though they can be forgiven all for looking after Hallam Moseley and Viv Richards so well whilst they were qualifying to wear the Wyvern.

The Somerset Wyverns presumably knew a thing or two when they named themselves. They must have been purists though for their tie had the King Alfred two legged version of the Wyvern as its crest. Geoffrey Archer became their President in the 1980s so I assume he too knew his Wyverns from his dragons. It is a Wyvern.

There are other pointers too. Peter Trego attended the Wyvern School in Weston and he came out rock solid Somerset without a dragon in sight. And then there is the Club's investment in the future. Under-19 members are known as Wyverns. They will know our Wyvern for a Wyvern when they see it for the rest of their days.

Our Wyvern is safe. My illusion is rebuilt. Or it will be when the new scoreboard fails on its first morning.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/03/2017 00:49 by Farmer White.

Grockle (IP Logged)
19 March, 2017 10:15
I think a Wyvern does not have back legs - more of a fishy type thing and spiky tail?.

(Sm72)

19 March, 2017 10:16
Farmer,

The subject of your last posting has been discussed repeatedly on here in the past.

The emblem of Somerset CCC, and indeed the county of Somerset is a Dragon.

Perhaps this helps: -

[britishcountyflags.wordpress.com]

But at the end of the day, you can believe whatever you will.

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
19 March, 2017 10:37
Dragons 4 legs- Wyverns 2

[sites.psu.edu]

Farmer White (IP Logged)
19 March, 2017 10:37
Thank you Clarence.

Indeed that was one of the authorities I was referring to in my third papragraph. And indeed they refer to the emblem as a dragon.

But as you say, and especially where mythical creatures are concerned, we may believe what we will. And the whole point of myths and legends is to allow us to live in any illusory world we wish.

In my illusory world the Somerset emblem is a Wyvern, the sun always shines, the scoreboard remains stuck with our score at 300 for 3 and and we are perpetual County Champions. Long may it continue.

Farmer

Farmer White (IP Logged)
19 March, 2017 10:41
Chunky

Should that not read Dragons 4 legs - Wyverns too? Tell me it is so.

And now I am off to the County Ground and the real world.

Farmer

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
19 March, 2017 10:46
Farmer- I always thought it was the Somerset Wyvern.

Looking at the emblem he is standing up- so that implies 2 arms, 2 legs- but, the sites I've looked at say a wyvern's two 'hands' are fused to the wings- which is clearly not the case on the emblem.

It is whatever you want it to be.

(Sm93)

Edit- site I linked to says it is front legs fused to the wings if it is a wyvern- so looks like it has to be a dragon.

But how an Somerset themselves refer to it as a wyvern, when the evidence suggests it isn't?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/03/2017 10:52 by chunkyinargyll.

Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
19 March, 2017 12:41
Was it not on Farmer White's very own farm that Orwell's animals were eventual told "Four Legs Good, Two Legs Better."

I used to run frequent training courses in East Africa, where one of the main suppliers of petrol was the Italian company Agip. Their symbol was a black dragon on a yellow background, boldly displayed at many filling stations. As an ice-breaker for the courses I would invite participants to divide into groups linked with the number of legs they thought the dragon had. Numbers varied from two to a dozen, revealing how we often fail to observe accurately what we see every day. Then for fun I would give them a second chance, having seen the composition of other groups. It was interesting how many would then move to the group of the most senior person in the room. There must be a moral in there somewhere...

(I'm in Farmer White's group, because it's his farm)

LoL

Sixty-eight Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Bobstan (IP Logged)
19 March, 2017 14:34
Quote:
chunkyinargyll
Dragons 4 legs- Wyverns 2 after extra time.
[sites.psu.edu]

Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
19 March, 2017 15:21
Good start for Trego and Davies S today. 48 of Trego's first fifty came in fours and he went on to make seventy.

Up to date coverage on the official site - much appreciated

LoL

Sixty-eight Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/03/2017 15:23 by Loyal of Lhasa.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net