cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Time to the New Year

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
CC1 2017
Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
09 April, 2017 19:12
I hope it's acceptable to start a new thread on this topic.

Hampshire are the unlikely leaders of the table this evening after a remarkable recovery against Yorkshire.

LoL

Sixty-nine Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Re: CC1 2017
JuliaW (IP Logged)
09 April, 2017 19:14
I was following the game on the radio, great entertainment. Credit to Hampshire for hanging in there.

Will no doubt be much chat about Yorkshire England players not allowed to play in the game and, of course, the Hampshire kolpaks!

nelliec (IP Logged)
09 April, 2017 19:25
Must be a good result overall for Somerset !!

Hants01 (IP Logged)
09 April, 2017 19:50
Of course in people's desperation to spew anti-Hants bile, everyone will overlook the fact that Hampshire played without their overseas signing, Yorkshire played their one. Oh and that almost 200 of Yorkshire's runs came from a man whose origins aren't English [Balance].

Hampshire 'unlikely' leaders. Quite probably. Who knows? The team has plenty of home grown young talent emerging with Alsop, Weatherley (charitably loaned to Kent), Crane and McManus for examples.

Two go down in this division, which is absurd. Relegation for a quarter of the sides! Given this, I hardly think this result was a good one for Somerset. It might be better to hope the likes of Middlesex and Yorkshire beat the rest and assure Somerset- one of few non-Test match counties- another slice of Division One cricket next season.

cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
10 April, 2017 09:44
It is not anti-Hants bile, Hants01 (they did very well at Headingley especially after loosing first innings wickets so quickly on the first evening).

It is anti-Rod Bransgrove bile for the despicable way in which he lobbied the authorities for Durham rather than Hampshire to be relegated last season and then out-gloated even Liam Fox and Co over the referendum when he was so shamefully successful.

10 April, 2017 11:04
I used the word "unlikely" in the context of Hampshire's very poor start to their match against Yorkshire.

I'll preserve my bile for more important issues than county cricket.

LoL

10 April, 2017 13:00
Surrey now head the table, while Essex are making a great fightback against Lancashire. I am really enjoyiung the season so far!

LoL

AG on apple (IP Logged)
10 April, 2017 14:20
Bransgrove is a truly disgusting creature.

mikeindex (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 20:03
"Ashley Giles has warned there will be 'no quick fixes' to Warwickshire's problems and told supporters to expect more pain in the months ahead.

"Giles, who returned to Warwickshire as director of sport ahead of this season, admitted the club was 'going to the wall' with an ageing team and 'nothing behind them' after they succumbed to their second successive innings defeat of the Championship season." - Cricinfo article.

Well that told 'em. Nice one Ash, your players must love your straight talking.

Tom Seymour for Somerset DoC!

Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 20:09
Yeah Index. I'd sort them out. A number out through the back door.

Likewise there will be 'no quick fixes' to Somerset's problems. Up the happy clappies.

mikeindex (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 20:16
Posted mine as a joke, obviously, but since you've responded TS -

Which ones? How would you replace them? How would your changes guarantee 'success' (i.e. finishing higher than 2nd)?

Let's hear some specifics from you for a change.

wsm fan (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 20:16
Which ones are we getting rid of then out of intetest?

And assuming we are not making any mid season loan signings which of our 2nd team would you like brought in instead?
What attack would you like for Old Trafford? Davey Van Meerkan Sale Gronners & Bess?
Which batters are coming in? Jim? Hose?

I'm all for constructive debate & no issues with us all having differing opinions.
But if players or captain are to be changed i'm keen to know names of what exactly should be done instead.

Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 20:40
To go at the end of this season?

At present Trescothick, Allenby, Waller, Davey and Leask for a start. Tough but there it is.

Specific enough for you Index?

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 20:47
Definitely not Waller.

You need someone to captain the seconds and teams always play two (sometimes even three) spinners in T20.

People are quite happy to have 'red ball only' players about- but don't seem to apply the same logic to 'white ball only' players.

It's rather old fashioned to define someone as 'not good enough' because they don't get in the four day side. Most teams (Somerset less so) are moving to a situation where some players are clearly considered 'red or white, but not both'.

Grockle (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 21:06
Well that's not a hard list or contentious list is it Tom seeing as one is pretty definite, one's the bloke you hate and poor old Leask has hardly played a game. Just Josh Davey to discuss then and he may write his own reply this season.if he has anything about him.

I doubt that list would have them shaking in their boots as the new man 'sweeps clean'.

(Sm72)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 18/04/2017 07:06 by Grockle.

RadstockRob (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 21:09
What a forward thinking post Tom.

If it was up to me I'd add Trego, Abell, both Overtons and both Davies.

Chunky Max is not 2nds captain.

They seem to share it around from match to match

I'd definitely keep Waller though.

He hardly ever puts a foot wrong in CC cricket.

Grockle (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 03:24
That would create an interesting 2018 line up Rob and suggest a minor problem with the keeping of the wicket AND the issue of a pace bowling attack supporting an aging Tim Groenewald.

(Sm72)

Grizzzly (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 03:32
Methinks Rob was talking just a tad tongue in cheek...

Grizzzly

Grockle (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 04:14
Ahhhh Never sure with RR. Wonder if he'll read it? 😎😎

(Sm72)

RadstockRob (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 04:15
Nothing like a good clear out Grockle.

They say a change is as good as a rest!

Rob Turner or Sam Spurway could keep.

Both still playing last season.

tic Grizzly? Not my style!

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net