cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Time to the New Year

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Re: CC1 2017
Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
02 September, 2017 15:09
Given how potentially dangerous the incident was, it could be described as

AN ARROW ESCAPE

LoL

Sixty-nine Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Wickham (IP Logged)
02 September, 2017 15:40
A bolt from the blue.

Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
02 September, 2017 15:45
Insane Bolt?

LoL

Sixty-nine Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
02 September, 2017 18:30
Wasn't Alex B-arrow?

DeanSwift (IP Logged)
03 September, 2017 10:41
What on earth is Jofra Archer playing at?

mikeindex (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 11:04
Congratulations to Essex on a richly deserved Championship title, reminiscent of their first in 1979 (also won with weeks to spare). A blow for the "little" counties.

AGod (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 11:10
A remarkable triumph, keyed by the performances of Porter and Harmer with the ball, above all. Cook's early season availability must have helped. Overall, they did just enough with the bat, Cook apart, which was all they needed to do due to the performances of Porter and Harmer, backed by a pair of official overseas signings, both of which worked.

It really was a three man attack, for the most part - Porter, Wager/Aamir and Harmer, which is a bit remarkable in itself.

Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 11:16
Yes, many congratulations to Essex, always good to see a 'smaller' county win. Odd that, just as many will be thinking the CC is now over because we know who's won, it gets interesting for us!

AGod (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 12:56
Hants nearly as bad as I expected - seven down inside 26 overs.

Certainly not completely impossible that Middx might have a time for a quick thrash, and send that lot back in...

AGod (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 13:32
134-9, 70 behind.

If they have to pick this batting line-up for the final two games then, unless they are playing Warks (and I fear that they are) then they will probably lose both games and, thus, be in with every chance of being relegated.

Bagpuss (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 13:38
I must confess I thought Essex might struggle this year, mainly because I couldn't see how they were going to replace 100-odd wickets from Masters and Napier. As it turns out they've probably had the best attack in the 1st division.

cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 13:55
The Essex triumph, despite the retirement of their two leading bowlers of the last 10 years - Masters and Napier - is a very good point. Bagpuss, that seems to have been over-looked by virtually every commentator.

Remember also, that Napier has held both the world record for the most sixes in an innings - 16 - and the Walter Lawrence Trophy for the fastest first-class century of the season (44 balls).

They were first and third in the Essex bowling averages last season - 103 wickets between them.

So the county showed considerably foresight in team planning, once they realised that both would be retiring at the same time - and just as they had won promotion.

AGod (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 14:35
But I don't think Napier had ever done much in CC1 with the ball, to my knowledge. So I don't imagine he'd have pulled up any trees had he continued.

Masters was on an old stalwart bowler but he'd possibly also have found things tricky in CC1 this time around - after they'd been down in CC2 for, what, about three seasons since his last appearance. Both guys probably retired at exactly the right time and then Essex got their calls right about the ID of the Kolpak and Overseas players that they tabbed to replace them.

AGod (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 14:38
Porter and Harmer, 127 wickets between them with two CC matches still to play - so 150 wickets between them possibly attainable.

AGod (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 14:42
I take back what I said about one half of the overseas signings, though. I thought Wagner would be poor but then somehow I was under the impression that I had been wrong - but I see he actually had a bowling average of 41.

So, really, Essex had a two man bowling attack of Porter and Harmer who were, briefly, joined by Amir who was as effective as one would expect him to be.

AGod (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 14:44
I note that the much bally-hooed Curran brothers who, no doubt, are probably greats of the game according to A J Stewart have combined for a bowling average of about 40 this season (Tom 35, Sam 45).

I know the Oval is the world's most lifeless square but, even so (they do play away games too, don't they?)

AGod (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 14:49
Porter's strike-rate has been absolutely phenomenal - 33!!

For a guy with more than 50 wickets in a season, I should not be surprised if those are the best numbers since Waqar Younis plied his trade over here.

AGod (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 14:51
I liked the look of that Brit qualified Aussie, Ryan Sidebottom, when we played against Warks and I wouldn't mind a cheeky bid to sign him as they had still not contracted him for next season when we played them.

Lord only knows what they are waiting for, given that Sidebottom has a bowling average of 21 for Warks and all of their other bowlers have an average of 38 or worse this season..... truly appalling bowling averages.

AGod (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 14:56
Match abandoned at Uxbridge - an absolute nightmare of a round for Middx.

Roger ivanhoe (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 15:19
Ryan Sidebottom (The Aussie Version) signed a one year contract with Warwickshire earlier this week.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net