cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Time to the New Year

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Re: CC1 2017
AGod (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 15:23
Ah, okay, thanks, Roger.

MisterMurph (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 18:12
I am immensely pleased for Essex and their incredible achievement this year. However one of the comments regarding Essex's foresight in replacing old boys Masters and Napier made me smile - as the two bowlers they signed were the English qualified, but overseas really, Dixon and Quinn (neither of whom qualify as 'English' in club cricket by the way, so overseas in club, not overseas at county, level). Due to injury, neither played much part in the season at all, so you are looking at local club cricketers Porter, Walter, Beard; a back-up spinner in Zaidi, a tremendous Kolpak signing in Harmer (who scouted him?), the 2 batting signings (inc reserve keeper) were both returning Essex boys. The overseas pair - Amir was excellent - Wagner was no more than steady - in fact, I think Essex would have won the title with Walter filling the left arm seamer berth all season. What was clever is that they were able to change their approach to a game and be flexible about strategy - e.g. Wheater keeping, getting a small injury, Fozzie then proving he's still the best in the world, so keep him in. All in all, if Essex can do it, there is tremendous hope for Somerset for 2018.

Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
16 September, 2017 10:27
I too am delighted about the success of Essex, not least because, like Somerset, they have so many home-bred players.

Between now and the end of the season I am overseeing emergency legislation that will ensure that this season four sides will be relegated from Division One. These will be:

Warwickshire: because they're not very good and Giles is a mid-season poacher
Middlesex: for their chicanery last season
Yorkshire: ditto
Hampshire: because they should have been relegated last year.

I propose that the following sides from Division Two are promoted:

Nottinghamshire: because they are good
Worcestershire: ditto
Northamptonshire: ditto
Kent: because they should have been promoted last year in place of Hampshire
Durham: because they did not deserve to be relegated last year

That means that there will be nine sides in each division next year and we shall revert to playing sixteen matches for each side in each division.

All problems solved at a stroke of my legislative pen.

AGod (IP Logged)
16 September, 2017 12:23
I propose that Surrey be relegated due to their persistently poor on-field behaviour and the absurd proclamations of A J Stewart as to the international abilities of their entire squad - so why have you won one game all year, Alec? If they are as good as you say then you should definitely be fired for winning only one match with such 'talent.'

Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
16 September, 2017 12:48
All right, AGod, we'll let Surrey go as well. Let's bring Glamorgan in so that the Welsh feel properly represented at the top table.

LoL

Sixty-nine Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Botham (IP Logged)
16 September, 2017 18:43
I'm sure the Essex girls are equally delighted

Nailsea_Fizz (IP Logged)
17 September, 2017 01:33
Good to read more original views about Surrey and Alec Stewart

AGod (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 09:40
Hants are more or less back to full strength but, regardless, are already 0/1.

Middlesex are currently 2/1 vs Lancs.

AGod (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 09:51
I see Warks have picked Boyd Rankin. Once in a blue moon, he can have a spectacularly good game. Let's hope that the Blue Moon is out over the course of this 4 day match vs Yorkshire...

AGod (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 10:03
Middx and Hants both two down for naff all thus far. But Warks have already lost one vs Yorkshire.

Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 10:09
I put it on a different thread, The Middle now 25 for 3

AGod (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 10:13
Yep, folding rapidly. As Lord's often flattens out as the game goes along, they would appear to be in a rather precarious position to me.

Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 10:15
4 down now.

AGod (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 10:18
So.......... should we go into the final round of matches ahead of Middx on points, then one might guess that we'd attempt to produce something very flat for the match against them.

However.... how easy would we find that to do?

Yes, we used to produce myriad flat tracks at one time BUT that was before the new more efficient drainage system was installed.

We could try watering the track more than usual BUT .... if we get it even slightly wrong then wouldn't we be faced with the old style Taunton track where it does a fair amount for the first session or two, then flattens out? Obviously, Middlesex can oblige us to bat first.

AGod (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 10:27
Jarvis, who is generally their best bowler and might be well-suited to Lord's is on for Lancs now. I want Lancs to get through Voges/Simpson ASAP.

Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 10:44
Warwickshire also 4 down, no surprise there.

AGod (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 10:45
Yes, I'd expect them to fold in utterly tame fashion. They are, I'm afraid, a pitiful outfit.

AGod (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 11:21
Middx recovering rather well, now.

But if the pitch just goes totally flat they may still find themselves behind on first-innings as a result of all of the early wickets lost.

AGod (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 16:28
All of the other games now seem loaded against us. Yorkshire are flying, Hants scything through an Essex side who have probably, like Warks, lost interest with nada to play for. And Lancs in trouble at Lord's.

Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 10:25
Yorkshire match is interesting 89 still needed with 5 wickets down.

Edit - 6 down 86 for 6.

7 down.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 22/09/2017 10:42 by Mike TA1.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net