cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Time until I see some live home cricket. Bring on 2017!!!

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

CC2 2017
Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
09 April, 2017 19:14
I hope it's acceptable to start this new thread on this topic.

It is sad but not hugely surprising that Glamorgan, Gloucestershire and Leicestershire all managed to lose in three days in the first round of matches.

LoL

Sixty-nine Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Re: CC2 2017
Hants01 (IP Logged)
09 April, 2017 19:54
A pretty awful first tranche of matches. The feeblest sides living down to expectations. Darren Stevens and assorted other medium paced dobbers looking demon bowlers and teams being shot out for paltry scores, some under a hundred. If the chasm between the two divisions wasn't palpable before this set of matches, it ought to be now.

AG on apple (IP Logged)
10 April, 2017 14:24
That ship had long since sailed.

I'm perplexed as to why Jason Gillespie has professed confidence in Essex staying up? Their resources look pretty poor to me.

Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
10 April, 2017 18:02
It's a bit early to dismiss Essex. One resource they clearly have is Dan Lawrence, still only 19 and with a batting average of almost 48.

LoL

Sixty-nine Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Bagpuss (IP Logged)
10 April, 2017 22:53
Another resource they'll have probably from Good Friday is Alastair Cook for at least half of their cc matches

Grizzzly (IP Logged)
10 April, 2017 23:17
Yes, I suspect Messrs Jove & Cove may be looking forward to putting one or two deliveries in the direction of AC's nose.

Grizzzly

Farmer White (IP Logged)
11 April, 2017 00:06
I would rather they put them in the direction of his off stump preferably whilst swinging them away.

Grizzzly (IP Logged)
11 April, 2017 03:53
That would be the second ball of the over FW !

Grizzzly

Bagpuss (IP Logged)
11 April, 2017 04:53
Nose then toes, FW, nose then toes 😁

old boy! (IP Logged)
11 April, 2017 08:34
Hopefully they have learnt SOMETHING from their winter trips - particularly that if you bowl on a length at the stumps you have two chances of getting a wicket - bowled or LBW - while short pitched rubbish gets you nowhere.

AG on apple (IP Logged)
11 April, 2017 10:43
Quite right, Old Boy, and it has always been thus on English surfaces.

Farmer White (IP Logged)
11 April, 2017 11:27
No no no Grizzzly and Bagpuss. Nose then toes is what he has been getting all his life. Toes when he is expecting nose and still opening his eyes is best.

mikeindex (IP Logged)
07 August, 2017 17:49
Idly looking up Kent's game against WI led me to the discovery that they have a batsman called Sean Dickson who scored 318 in a Championship match last month. Somehow this completely passed me by at the time.

cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
07 August, 2017 18:27
Even more surprising, mikeindex, Sean Dickson was relegated to Kent Seconds later in the last month, playing against Glo`shire Seconds at Bristol Cricket Club - and low scoring in both knocks.

He was captain of the Seconds, though, so perhaps the aim was to give him experience of leading a side.

mikeindex (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 13:08
Interestingly, Notts - improbable relegatees last year and seemingly nailed-on certainties for the Div 2 title this - have still not clinched promotion after losing to 3rd-placed Northants and their load-bearing South Africans.
Worcs 216 pts, Notts 210, Northants 197. None playing each other in the last round so Worcs and Notts remain strong favourites, but who knows?
Nothing against Notts, but it would be nice to see another of the little counties do unexpectedly well in Essex's year.

Also Michael Carberry, 37 next month, has signed a two-year deal with his fourth county at Leicestershire, presumably (though who can say?) the last act in one of cricket's more dramatic careers. Strikes me as a good move on both sides. The man is a class act and I wish him and Leics well.
How many other cricketers have been rejected by two counties and then gone on to play for England? Peter Trego should have, of course.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net