cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Time to the start of CC1 2018

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Current Page: 5 of 11

Re: And so it all starts with Essex
AG on apple (IP Logged)
16 April, 2017 12:18
I would assume, Grockle, that he meant that we played vs poor opposition. I guess we were unlucky with the Lancs fiasco. But, apart from that, we scheduled games against Div Two and non first-class opposition.

Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
16 April, 2017 12:41
For the past 3 years Matthew Maynard has taken the squad for a pre season "training camp" to somewhere in Spain.

For the past 3 years we have started badly in the Championship. Is there a connection? Yes IMO.

Instead of getting sun on their backs and improving their golf swings, wouldn't they be better prepared putting in the hard yards at home? In this game and particularly yesterday they have batted so poorly that they deserve the title "clowns of the First Division."

If people who weren't there think that that is an unjustified tag, then I suggest they try to watch a bit more live. Some I know can't because of distances involved, but some can if they have a mind to.

Being Easter Day I decided not to attend today. We are looking down the barrel at the moment but who knows?

A glass half - empty or a glass half - full?
Regardless, both glasses need filling up.

AG on apple (IP Logged)
16 April, 2017 12:51
We've started slowly for about the past 15 years, so it's a problem that spans an array of management figures and playing personnel.

Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
16 April, 2017 13:34
The commentators at the current match, including Gibson, who really should know better, have been talking irritatingly and unnecessarily about the "Top End". I have deduced gi from what else they have said that they are referring to the River End, which makes no kind of sense at all. "Top" would normally imply some kind of elevation, making their description manifestly illogical, unless the underground stream that runs under the eastern side of the ground is flowing uphill.

These things should not irritate one - but they tend to so when there is not much joy coming from the field of play!

LoL

Sixty-nine Seasons a Somerset Supporter

AG on apple (IP Logged)
16 April, 2017 14:14
Looking for all the world like a defeat of embarrassing proportions.

Perhaps Essex can say that Neil Wagner out-witted our batsmen but let's just say that it hardly required something fiendishly clever to do so.

Looks like the team will be getting a major wake-up call with this result.

Grizzzly (IP Logged)
16 April, 2017 14:35
I think I can put my fears of an ECB pitch point penalty to bed.

We really don't like April do we ?

Grizzzly

Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
16 April, 2017 14:46
Oh not to support Somerset, now that April's here...

LoL

Sixty-nine Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Grockle (IP Logged)
16 April, 2017 14:59
You know how that pitch couldn't possibly flatten out AG?

Seems you and Tom A were both wrong and it did. According to tweeters at the ground it has done absolutely nothing today.

Taunton pitches....we really have to start reading them because it seems we had inadequate preparation playing on them... though I thought we did quite a lot.

Is it the quality of the opposition? Spain? Both? and the solution is..... (fanfare?)

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/04/2017 15:11 by Grockle.

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
16 April, 2017 15:02
Things are going from Ciderabad to Cideraworse....

Grockle (IP Logged)
16 April, 2017 15:05
Careful you don't cut yourself on that sharp wit.

(Sm72)

Grockle (IP Logged)
16 April, 2017 15:15
Seems it was a con'ciderabell' cockup all in all.

Though I suppose we ought to say well batted Alistair Cook who had something to do with it as well if we give the other side any credit for turning up and playing at all.

(Doubt its going to happen but I suppose its worth a try)

Has Rodders posted yet?

(Sm72)

Nailsea_Fizz (IP Logged)
16 April, 2017 15:33
Too busy throwing his toys out of the pram already. :-) Relegation bound already I tell thee.

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
16 April, 2017 15:43
Warwickshire will almost certainly end up on just 3 points after 2 completed games- which is totally abject #always someone worse off than yourself (unless you're Warwicks

AG on apple (IP Logged)
16 April, 2017 15:51
I'm sure the Captain won't have made his decision without consulting others, Grockle. And we can be certain that Essex also wanted to bat and it's perfectly possible that their Captain (whoever it is) may have consulted the erstwhile England leader on the same.

From what I heard there was still some unevenness today.

Either way, let's not pretend that we've lost because of either the pitch or the call we made at the toss. We've lost because we batted like absolute clueless mugs vs leg-theory bowling in our second innings and in a generally feckless manner in our first.

As per comments on here, only Davies and VDM were actively bowled out by good deliveries (vs throwing their wickets away) in the first innings. Then a whole bunch of guys flapped at short stuff from Wagner and hit it down fielder's throats in the second.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. You cannot win a CC without playing disciplined and, at times, attritional cricket at at least some points of the season. We are certainly capable of disciplined performances in the field at times. Batting? In my lifetime we've never really done it often enough and this was a most unpromising start if we are going to reverse that trend in 2017.

Mr Rogers? A ton of work ahead of you, sir, to inculcate the kind of discipline that you showed for much of your career with the bat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/04/2017 15:54 by AG on apple.

rodders (IP Logged)
16 April, 2017 16:19
Why are you interested if I have posted or not Grockle as you seldom consider my opinion worth very much anyway - though come to think of it in your case that applies to the vast majority of posters does it not ?
Utter rubbish from our batsmen but all credit to the bowlers. I fear we are not strong enough with the willow and will be mid table at best - too many past its and too many not quite made its IMO ! Maybe in a few years time....................!

mikeindex (IP Logged)
16 April, 2017 16:49
A distinctly disappointing three days on balance. What sounds like a highly impressive performance in the field in Essex's first innings (unfortunately I wasn't able to see the best bit in person) squandered by some pretty horrible shot selection and/or execution, abetted by the pitch's (possibly unexpected) placidifying, supposing for the moment that that is in fact a word.

Anthony Gibson reckoned it played pretty much like the Lancashire game last year when Marcus and Chris played out time on the last day (yes, I confess I was back home on the radio by the time the winning hit was made - blame my computer battery), and I tend to agree. I certainly saw only slow and unthreatening turn today whereas a couple from Harmer on the first day turned and bounced quite strikingly. This is, however, no excuse for Somerset's defeat which was down to bad batting.

It's always easy to accuse a batsman who gets out playing an attacking shot of irresponsibility (concealing from ourselves that with slightly better timing we'd have been praising him for a magnificently struck four or six) - but I'm afraid yesterday's efforts against Wagner were woeful, not least in their repetitiveness. Wagner's left-arm angle and consistency in getting the ball up to between rib and shoulder height do make him extremely difficult for a right-hand batsman (particularly one with an Overton-sized frame) either to play or to avoid - compare Jamie O's short balls which usually arrive at or above head height and so are very easy to duck - but seeing Roley, Lewis, JO and, after a worthy but still unfulfilled knock, CO, perish in turn couldn't but remind me of playing Lemmings on my computer of bygone years. JO in particular has undeniable talent as a batsman and no clue whatsoever how to play the short one - his one option seems to be a vague sort of muscle-rippling front-foot cross between a tennis forehand and a fly-swat.

A few net sessions for all the batsmen with Craig and/or Jamie pinging them in from round the wicket might be a useful preparation for the return Essex game, supposing Wagner will still be with them.

Grockle (IP Logged)
16 April, 2017 16:58
Just wondered whether you'd got on the keyboard to comment on the cockup sir as you are not backward at coming forward on days like this

I think I disagree with mostly with the unbalanced 'minority' actually Rodders.

It's just that if you only come on when there are bad days you only see people like you posting and no others so you think you are the majority.

Having said that I don't think I'm disagreeing with you today and if there are more days like today you may be on quite a lot.

Are the 'past its' going to be your theme for this year? Who are the 'not quite made its'?

Anyway a stronger Lancashire next.

(Sm72)

rodders (IP Logged)
16 April, 2017 17:22
Actually Grockle that is not true - you disagree with most posters most of the time and AG all of the time but that is your right and fair enough.
I accept that I ( and my fellow poster CP ) are most definitely half empty glass supporters but if you ever reach the age of 74 and have supported Somerset for 64 years you might well be in the same category. Regardless of leaders, player signings, captains and grounds men we have failed to win the ultimate prize even once and given our financial success and numerous support that does take some accepting with a smile. Why is it - who knows but there has to be something wrong somewhere. Perhaps Will Carling had it right.............

Wickham (IP Logged)
16 April, 2017 17:23
AG; you said - presumably, in response to my comment from yesterday evening - that "I don't really follow the 'track flattening out,' fears". But I have seen virtually every ball and it was pretty obvious to me towards the end of yesterday's play that the wicket was beginning to die, which is why I made my comment. That concern was borne out by events. Somerset bowled worthily today, but they couldn't conjure much penetration - and the Essex batsmen played very well.

I have already commented on our batting - mikeindex has since put it better than I did. Incidentally, by all accounts the ball to which Trescothick was given LBW pitched outside the leg stump (and so he should, of course, have been given not-out).

We are only one match into the season and I am far from down-hearted.

AG on apple (IP Logged)
16 April, 2017 17:49
To cap an awful day the seconds contrived an absolute humiliation - a 9 wicket defeat by Devon in which only Bess, Bartlett and one other made it into double figures. Ugh.

Current Page: 5 of 11

This Thread has been closed
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net