cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Moving from Muscat Minarets back to Bicknoller Towers for good in

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 5 of 8

Loyal of Lhasa
Re: And so it all starts with Essex
Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 11:16
What an excellent and reassuring post by wsm fan. Many thanks for that. In response to his sentence:

I appreciate several of you have been watching for 60/70/80 years so know far more than me but still!

I would suggest that the length of one's cricket-watching experience may not hugely increase one's knowledge of the technicalities of the game but may bring a greater sense of perspective. Following yesterday's exchanges about the frustrations of supporting our mercurial team, I started to think that were I to find myself on my deathbed (which could be as early as later today for all I know) and granted a few minutes of reflection on my life, during whose course Somerset had still not won the County Championship, I would not die with any great sense of regret but with huge gratitude for all the pleasure watching and supporting the side has given me. Perhaps I might have hoped that one of my offspring had played for England, gained a PhD from Harvard or conducted a symphony orchestra at the Albert Hall; the fact that none of these things had happened would in no way lessen my thankfulness for all the happiness that child had brought me.

LoL

Seventy Seasons a Somerset Supporter

mikeindex
mikeindex (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 11:32
Beautifully put LoL.

Wickham
Wickham (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 11:38
Very well put, WSM, and almost all who followed him.

Loyal of Lhasa
17 April, 2017 11:44
Sorry my most recent post seems to have appeared twice. Typical attention seeking on the part of

LoL

Mark O
Mark O (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 11:56
Dear Clarence

I wonder if we could have a chat at the next home match when we can discuss my sons as I assume you will not be at OT?

regards

Mark Overton

Bobstan
Bobstan (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 12:28
Very well said, WSM and LoL (twice).

The fact that Mr Overton has posted on here is perhaps a timely reminder to some of our contributors that the players are not just professional cricketers; they are human beings with feelings. They are human beings who have brothers, sisters, parents and friends who have feelings.

This does not mean that their performances cannot be critically analysed, but it does mean that we who profess to be supporters of Somerset should be careful to express critical views in a measured way, a way that shows sympathy for them when they are struggling.

One might have hoped that supporters of Somerset would understand that the members of the current squad have a pride in their personal performances and in those of the team.

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 12:46
So far as we know they weren't 'struggling,' but rather they seem to have gone out there with the bat and batted in a rather care-free/slap-dash manner not - to judge from the volume of runs scored in pre-season, due to some lack of confidence but rather due to an apparent lack of the requisite mental application. In no way should batsmen expect to not receive criticism for that.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 13:10
Thanks WSM for your view which I think is held by many on a lot of points.

Please don't believe what you are told by the minority. They ARE a monority. The majority here are balanced, sensible and pro Somerset. They obviously welcome your comments so keep them coming

Should the club get on a roll some posters will disappear almost entirely and their followers will mellow immediately.

I've advocated Rob's plan in the past. Read selectively. But I am also very encouraged by the fact that I do not have to take these people on alone any more.

I have become heartily sick of the 'hate everything' platform. No matter what happens find something to criticise. It is good to see others saying 'hang on a minute'

I'm also glad someone mentioned that the people being discussed on here are people trying to do a job with families,feelings etc..... The "Overton Bashing" has been going on from one corner of this forum for well over a year now with little or no attempt to back up the constant references with evidence other than a statement of a personal dislike of a particular bowler. While being perfectly entitled to comment that way as long as it is not insulting, eventually someone might want you to back up your comments in person..... it takes a lot for that kind of reaction to finally happen.

Things here do have consequences sometimes and you have to consider that and be prepared for those if you want to voice an opinion without being willing to justify it.

We are still a pretty fair minded and constructive place on the whole. we still have a reputation for talking more sense than codswallop and references outside of the site to the codswallop tends to refer to minority posts to a larger percentage.

We also still offer a debate forum for people who find issues with the club and differ in their view to the majority. BUT you have to come armed for a discussion. Come with facts and figures. Come with some kind of respect for the rule of debate. Come with more than a couple of whinges you've had for years and want to moan about.

If you are bitter and twisted then start "BitterandTwisted.com" Tell your like minded friends and get on with it. Don't come here for an audience. We don't suffer fools who can't muster a debate and are never wrong. You'll get all upset, say something nasty to comeone and be asked to leave.

I am still proud of the fact that I have only had to remove one troll in 23 years. There have been more but they go their own ways eventually when they don't get what they want here.

Thank you people....we'll blather on in our own sweet way as Somerset continue to infuriate and elate most of us in equal measure

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/04/2017 13:39 by Grockle.

Mike BOS
Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 13:27
This will look like I have posted this because Mark O posted, but to be truthful I was going to post this earlier but got sidetracked.

Jamie Overton bowled brilliantly yesterday on what had become a unresponsive pitch. we were saying this while watching him bowl yesterday.

His innings stats were. 11-5-30-1 less than 3 an over with 53 dot balls

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 13:45
It's when it stops being analytical and starts to be personal that people should be called to account.

I think Mark has been remarkably patient and left his boys to do the talking with their own performances (ones that got them noticed at international level once more this winter) but there is a point I suppose and well...here it is.

Can I simply ask gentlemen that if you wish to dicuss it using Grockles that you do it via the PM system where we are not some kind of voyeuristic audience to the discussion.

Thank you.

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/04/2017 13:46 by Grockle.

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 13:49
There should not be 'consequences,' for expressing honestly held opinions in any free society, Grockle, let alone on this board.

Clarence should no more feel obliged to accept Mark Overton's offer of some form of discussion than you should have felt to take up Andre Van Troost's 'generous,' offer to you to face him in the nets. Nor should either of the same be considered in anyway a just consequence of people expressing their opinions.

Yep, folks might get upset by things that are said. Such is life.

Personally I think that the only discussion that is necessary in the wake of this match is that between Chris Rogers and the batsmen that he is charged with coaching.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/04/2017 13:50 by AG on apple.

Loyal of Lhasa
17 April, 2017 13:59
I should just like to thank our team for so effectively wrapping up the most recent match iu three days. I have just been out and found it is much too cold for watching cricket.

LoL

Angell Face
Angell Face (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 14:12
Saw 2/3 of Friday's play and all but the last few overs on Sunday. We batted poorly on Friday so I'm glad I didn't see Saturday's performance but in my view we didn't bowl badly yesterday. We came up against a top class performance by Cook, who was a joy to watch. The pitch looked slow and as flat as a pancake but Cook's timing was so good that it looked as though the ball was coming on to the bat at a pace.

As for the critics, I seldom agree with CP (though I think there was an occasion last year when we were of the same mind) and his comment that we have failed to strengthen our batting beggars belief. Our top order in the Essex match contained two new players, one a current Test cricketer and the other an experienced batsman/wicketkeeper with a first class average over 40.

chunkyinargyll
chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 14:17
Quote:
AG on apple
There should not be 'consequences,' for expressing honestly held opinions in any free society, Grockle, let alone on this board.

A God-

You're being watched.....

[i3.mirror.co.uk]

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 14:20
Hahaha - very good, Chunky!

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 14:53
Who said anything about forcing CP to accept AG. I don't have the power to do that. Nor would I exercise it should I be able to.

I personally think an 'Honestly' held opinion should be one you are willing to back up yet I can't remembet CP ever answering a challenge to do so.

However expression sometimes has consequences and if you want to open up the debate then I suppose, if you are honest, you ought to be willing to participate in it.

Whether they do or not is entirely up to them and from here on in nothing to do with either of us unless it infringes the rules.

(Sm72)

The Cake Taster
Botham (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 18:27
I can only comment from reading scorecards and social media, but there seemed to be a fine line between winning and losing this match.

Essex have a batsmen who is used to staying in and battling the bad times, waiting for the good times. In this match we maybe had over-confidence in our hearts and let that rule our heads. Hopefully our batsmen will learn from Mr Cook's stickability.

Clarence Parker
Clarence Parker (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 18:53
There are lots of postings on here for me to catch up on.

So, let me start with this one: -

Quote:
Mark O
Dear Clarence
I wonder if we could have a chat at the next home match when we can discuss my sons as I assume you will not be at OT?

regards

Mark Overton

Welcome to this messageboard Mr. Overton, on what is your first posting.

What do you want to chat with me about and why? I suggest you do your homework first.

mikeindex
mikeindex (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 19:03
I would agree, AF, that the bowling in Essex's second innings was pretty good, though I did think Jack was not quite up to last year's form - Cook scored a few runs off him with the cut shot, which last year was virtually unheard-of. (Cook is of course a master in that particular area).

I'd agree too that Jamie O bowled a fine spell, with maybe just a few too many balls the batsman didn't need to play at. He definitely needs to keep bowling to a full length on or near off stump and using the occasional bouncer as a surprise weapon (as in last year's game against Yorkshire, one of the most exhilarating spells I've ever seen from a Somerset bowler). Ideally pitching the bouncer a foot or so nearer the batsman so it's harder to duck.

Welcome to the forum Mark O. I hope you didn't find my remarks on Jamie's batting technique too objectionable. I think Jamie has the ability to be a genuine all-rounder and his method against the short quick ball is the one major flaw (besides, perhaps, impetuosity) he needs to sort out.

Not that it's any of my business, obviously, but since other posters have mentioned it it strikes me that a) CP is under no obligation whatsoever to discuss matters with Mark (whether or not he plans to be present at the next home game) and b) there is no reason whatsoever for him to shirk such a meeting given the courteously phrased nature of the request.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 19:30
You know Botham you might be right. An error by one skipper in misreading the nature of s pitch and a player on the other side who was exactly the right man to cspitalise. I've certainly read crazier assessments in the last 36 hours.

(Sm72)

Clarence Parker
17 April, 2017 19:31
Quote:
RadstockRob
Be like me Clarence be selective with which posts and posters you read.

I am delighted that you appear to read mine then, Rob.

(Sm59)

Grizzzly
Grizzzly (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 19:38
Of dear. Peace and harmony are in short supply it seems.

From afar, (well, on a ship to be exact), I think the emotions which have perhaps over spilled on the board in the last day or so reflect the passion which most (every?) poster feels in their desire to see SCCC get over the line & actually win the Championship.

The second half of last season went so well, perhaps too well and maybe we were spoilt in the results we achieved from seemingly hopeless positions at times. As such, our performance against Essex represents at best, a clearing of the head and at worst a bucket of ice cold water.

I don’t write off the season by any means. That would surely be ridiculous after just one game. Similarly, although of course I wasn’t present, it seems to me that some of the adjectives used regarding our performance have been wildly over the top in their rancour.

I’m a little concerned re the impact of the Captaincy on Tom (if only Chris Rogers could have been persuaded to carry on for one more year), but hope that he can find his feet soon.

As for the rest of the team, well, it’s time to look in the mirror and summon up the spirit of 2016 please.

Perhaps we should all do likewise.

Grizzzly

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 19:51
In some cases, the spirit you are hoping for wasn't present in 2016 either Grizzz.

I take a number of points about Tom from a number of posts on this thread. His first game didn't go the way he wanted it to but he has to learn from everything that happens and the mark of the man is how quickly he does that and what he learns.

A mere 3 days in and loads to come including our first away game in a few more. Thanks to those who contributed from the ground hope someone is off to OT and can give us a feel for the next one.

(Sm72)

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 20:01
Mine's a vodka, Grizz, cheers..

Loyal of Lhasa
17 April, 2017 20:19
Quote:
Grizzzly
Of dear. ... on a ship to be exact), I think the emotions which have perhaps over spilled on the board...

Given your current mode of transport, Grizzzly, take care that nothing spills overboard, including yourself.

LoL

Clarence Parker
17 April, 2017 22:59
It is ironic isn't it that the former England captain, and the man whose innings paved the way for an Essex victory, Alastair Cook, has regained his form after working a good deal on his technique with a former Somerset player - Gary Palmer.

Well done that man. It isn't always the best players who make the best coaches.

Shepton Paul 2
Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 09:43
I'm 100% with wsm's post from yesterday morning. As has become my habit when we lose a game, I stayed away from the site for 24 hours to allow myself, and maybe others, to calm down. Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't!

Anyway, we lost a game of cricket, rather disappointingly, but the sun came up this morning and rather glorious it is too. Let's take it out on the Lancs this weekend; and an Abell century would be great.

PS I rather suspect, from comments from players, staff, etc I've read, that, for this year at least, Tom's captaincy will be heavily supported and advised by input from the likes of Tres, Trego, Rogers, Maynard and others. This seems eminently sensible to me. 😊

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/04/2017 09:53 by Shepton Paul 2.

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 10:10
I think one principal person to act as a sounding board would make most sense. Everybody putting in their forpenneth could be a recipe for confusion.

Regardless, the Captaincy seemed to be the least of our problems in our traditional early-season flop the other day.

Shepton Paul 2
Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 10:11
Yep, fair point AG.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 10:19
Although it wasn't our 'regular early season flop' though was it. We got the same result in that we lost our opener but certainly the captain was looking for a win and the bowlers were certainly working with that in mind and the media thought we might have had it in the bag on the night of Day 2.

We weren't lethargic or unconnected with the start of the season. We went out for a win, miscalculated the nature of the pitch and tripped up.

The batting collapse in the second innings was the only bit of this that was pretty much the way we do the start of a season.

So.... hopefully that means we'll put that right and be completely on the ball for the second game in all departments. If wishes were dollars aye?

(Sm72)

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 5 of 8

This Thread has been closed
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net