cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Time until I see some live home cricket. Bring on 2017!!!

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Current Page: 1 of 14
Exciting opportunity or Graves Mistake?
Grockles.com (IP Logged)
15 April, 2017 14:24
What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 14/05/2017 13:03 by Grockle.

Is this the future of county cricket clubs?
Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
08 September, 2016 16:37
I think this rather disturbing news.

Northamptonshire members will vote at an Extraordinary General Meeting this evening on plans to change the ownership structure of the club.
The club's directors have proposed a resolution that would see members cede control of the club in favour of a limited company,
[www.espncricinfo.com]

It seems more to do with taking away the influence of the membership to stop them having a say on how the club is run.

If this happened to Somerset I would be asking for a EGM to remove who ever was supporting it within the club.

Re: Is this the future of county cricket clubs?
Angell Face (IP Logged)
08 September, 2016 18:15
While I share in general your sentiments Mike, the Northants membership don't seem to have been able to stop the Club losing money hand over fist

Clarence Parker (IP Logged)
08 September, 2016 18:56
Somerset CCC has "Ltd." as part of its official title.

Under Giles Clarke's chairmanship we voted for this at an AGM some years ago. I can't remember why, or what the perceived benefits were, but it did not involve the club having shareholders.

Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
08 September, 2016 19:45
I had an idea Clarence that we did have LTD in our title but I wasn't sure if my memory was correct.

I am dead against any change that would take away the members input or voting rights like we had for the presidents job.

Otherwise it could end up with jobs for the boys.

09 September, 2016 10:05
Mike, why do you say that members had no voting rights for the role of Club President?

I was at the AGM this year when the President was elected by voting slips. The result may not have been my preferred choice personally, and the successful candidate may have (I don't know for sure) harnessed some members from his area to attend the meeting in order to give him their vote, but I do not consider that the election was flawed or contrary to the club's rules in any way.

My first choice or not, I accept the result of the vote and am sure that our Club President will act in an honourable way and always have the best interests of the club at heart.

geordie moonraker (IP Logged)
09 September, 2016 10:10
I read Mikes post in exactly the opposite way CP.

Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
09 September, 2016 10:15
That is me Clarence not making my post clear enough.

I was referring to if our Club went down the same path that Northants is proposing to do.

This is from the link above.

Existing club members will also have the opportunity to buy shares with a minimum subscription of £250. Those that decline can continue to purchase season tickets, but will no longer be entitled to vote at club meetings. They will be allowed to elect a representative to the board, but the board will be able to veto this representative if they deem them unsuitable.

I just wouldn't like that happening to Somerset

geordie moonraker (IP Logged)
09 September, 2016 12:13
Thank you for that extract Mike. I think quite a few are in my situation. I ( and Mrs GM) are members. We have been for a long time. We come to Taunton now only once a year but when we come we are afforded the facilities of members, as indeed we are when we go to away fixtures. We would save money by paying our admission, but our membership is about belonging and as members we have responded to appeals (Gimblett Hill, new pavilion etc)
I am a season ticket holder at Newcastle Falcons. I don't belong but I go to nearly all games. When I watch them away I am just another spectator. I certainly wouldn't buy a season ticket for Somerset, and I sincerely hope we stay well away from the siren ECB

10 September, 2016 11:14
An interesting (to say the least) article by George Dobell.

It will surely only be a matter of four or five years before the County Championship is reduced to about 8 teams.

The end is nigh – prepare to meet thy doom.

[www.espncricinfo.com]

AGod (IP Logged)
10 September, 2016 12:21
"Premiership rugby, for example, a sport with similar supporter numbers as county cricket, receives something approaching £40m for its broadcast rights. The ECB currently ascribe a nil value to county cricket and seems to think the Blast is worth as little as £7.5m a year. That's less than it can expect to earn from gate receipts. A city-based competition, despite lasting less than a month and not being offered exclusively, is said to be worth up to £40m."

So, on top of everything else, it would appear that the ECB are both naive and inept in terms of commercial negotiations with broadcasters?

10 September, 2016 12:28
Contact Andy Nash, AGod.

Isn't he on the board of the ECB?

Bagpuss (IP Logged)
10 September, 2016 13:04
I the ECB ascrie a nil value to County Cricket, then why haven't they already taken it away from Sky (with no loss in revenues from the broadcaster, because it has a value of, er, nothing) and given it to a FTA broadcaster gratis, or for a nominal fee.

So many holes in their arguments I could drain my pasta through it.

Tractor (IP Logged)
10 September, 2016 15:18
Quote:
George Dobell
It increasingly looks as if the new competition will see games played every day of the week in a July block.

Kids break up from school the last week of July to see the last week of the new tournament featuring all their favourite test stars. Oooh, wait, between June and September 2018 India are touring England playing 5 tests, 5 ODIs and a Twenty20.
Shove the tourist fixtures into August?

Grizzzly (IP Logged)
10 September, 2016 16:41
GD is one of the few sane people prepared to "say it as it is" and is a very welcome breath of fresh air.

What the ECB are seeking to do is frankly scandalous.

Ten year NDA's ?!

By the time those restrictions end, there may not be anything left to talk about anyway.

I really hope I am very wrong, but I fear for the future of the game as we presently know it.

Grizzzly.

AGod (IP Logged)
10 September, 2016 16:46
I think we all do. The ECB politburo needs to be fired en masse.

mama mia (IP Logged)
11 September, 2016 14:40
Be very careful Somerset, I think this road has already started, as they are trying to scrap the Area Reps and have a Board system. Very dangerous.

11 September, 2016 15:17
Area reps. to what mama mia?

The E C B management board is comprised of a chairman, deputy chairman and chairman of cricket elected by all 41 members of ECB, two independent directors, three directors from the first-class game, two directors from the recreational game, two ECB executives, a women’s game representative and an MCC representative.

Somerset's Andy Nash was / is still? a member of that Board.

The 41 members of the ECB are: the Chairmen of the 18 First-Class Counties; the Chairmen of the 21 County Boards in Non-First Class Counties; the Chairman of the MCC; and the Chairman of the Minor Counties Cricket Association.

Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
11 September, 2016 15:33
I read mama mia post as meaning Somerset not the ECB, he will correct me if I am wrong.

Grockle (IP Logged)
11 September, 2016 15:51
I read it the same way Mike

(Sm72)

Current Page: 1 of 14

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net