cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Somerset will or won't be Champions of the CC1 in

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Mr Date
Re: No Shelter from Anderson
Mr Date (IP Logged)
21 April, 2017 14:36
Looking for some big displays with the bat this afternoon!

Always look on the bright cider life

@sean_date on Twitter

wsm fan
wsm fan (IP Logged)
21 April, 2017 14:39
Well guys. What can we find to complain about so far, last wicket stand too big? Jack underused? Should have bowled Trego earlier!
Great bowling as a pack, gave them nothing.

Now as Tres&Dean walk out bright sunshine and blue sky, you couldnt make it up.....

The Cake Taster
Botham (IP Logged)
21 April, 2017 15:02
I just told my wife rain is forecast all afternoon, then realised the forecast is for Manchester, not Taunton, but blue sky must be a bonus.

geordie moonraker
geordie moonraker (IP Logged)
21 April, 2017 15:17
Splendid bowling performance-and catching by the scorecard. 2 batsmen contributed 92 of 109 and the only extra was a leg bye. We'll not get many better mornings all season.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
21 April, 2017 15:55
Tom....still looking for that balance......

(Sm72)

Tom Seymour
Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
21 April, 2017 16:26
Good bowling all round today it would seem. Let's hope our batters can build on that = a couple of hiccups early on but we must keep going.

A glass half - empty or a glass half - full?
Regardless, both glasses need filling up.

Mr Date
Mr Date (IP Logged)
21 April, 2017 16:29
Maynard, Rodgers and co need to find a quick answer to Tom Abell, Get him to settle down and put a score together lets hope it happens in the Second Innings, Once he's got his Confidence I think he will be ok.

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
21 April, 2017 16:39
If this fifth wkt partnership doesn't flourish then this will be a one innings contest, effectively, as doubt we'll get much of a lead, if any. We shall have to hope the track is at its best late on day 2/on day 3.

On the other hand, if Pete/Elgar could manage a partnership of 65-75 or so then it could be really significant

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/04/2017 16:43 by AG on apple.

Wickham
Wickham (IP Logged)
21 April, 2017 16:45
A very encouraging scorecard to return home to. Well done, the bowlers - let's hope for a decent lead and some batting bonus points.

Mike BOS
Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
21 April, 2017 17:22
Same here Wickham, I have been out since lunch, a nice return home to see Somerset continued on with their morning good work.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
21 April, 2017 17:22
The Middle order shoring up and moving on so it's looking a little better. When we are 100 ahead and still have 6 wickets I'll be much happier.

(Sm72)

Mike BOS
Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
21 April, 2017 17:29
I have just lo0ked at Lancs scorecard, blimey.

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
21 April, 2017 17:45
If not for Livingstone, it would have been a complete catastrophe, Mike.

A lower total, even than their 72 all out (ARC 9-32) when chasing 88 at Taunton.

MESSAGES->author
Scrumper (IP Logged)
21 April, 2017 17:50
I think Dean should retire form international cricket immediately.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
21 April, 2017 18:12
But the front end hasn't provided the base once again. Reliance on the middle and tail to pull us out of the fire simply does not work for the front end of a season every year.

This is the second match we should have put to bed by the end of Day 2 where instead we have given the opposition a chance to climb out of a hole instead of burying them.

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/04/2017 18:58 by Grockle.

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
21 April, 2017 18:16
At least Elgar has come good. Better batting weather for the rest of the match..

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
21 April, 2017 19:41
But, suffice to say that a grand total of one 50 from 3 innings for the team as a whole is not an impressive start to our batting season. Considerable work for Mr Rogers to do..

The fine work of our bowlers is being undermined, I'm afraid.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/04/2017 19:44 by AG on apple.

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
21 April, 2017 20:23
And I note the fate of the Essex bowling so far this season: Conceded loads to Lancashire (hardly a batting powerhouse). Taken for 255-1 under gloomy skies at Lord's...and in between bowled SCCC out twice in about 100 overs.....sure different tracks but perhaps the key difference is that neither Lancs nor Middx presented large numbers of wickets on a silver platter to the Essex bowlers as we did.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/04/2017 20:26 by AG on apple.

wsm fan
wsm fan (IP Logged)
21 April, 2017 20:45
Well. That was interesting.....
Cloudy almost all day. Fresh pitch with green tinge.
Ball moved all day. Felt like wickets were coming all day.

Our attack was superb. Discipline this and essex qst innings quite outstanding. Not just the wickets but the pressure built at both ends.

Im not going to criticise the batters much.
Jimmy was just Jimmy and their seamers all put it on tbe spot.
Essex we crumbled to loose shots. Most if not all today were at least got out. I thought tregs & Lewis lbw kept low too. Dean rode his luck but real gritty knock. Another 30 or 40 in morning and it could be a match winner.

No more dull cricket for Sonerset in the champo anymore.

Advantage to us, just, but dont think i'm seeing much play on day 3, if any........

Farmer White
Farmer White (IP Logged)
22 April, 2017 01:14
A gruelling day indeed. It always is when you have to dig out for a patio especially when the soil is clay. If you can define clay as soil. Mine was made in a toffee factory and stuck to the spade with all the tenacity with which the sweet sort grips on a filling. From the way the score struggled to make progress today batting must have been a similarly glutinous experience. 262 runs for 18 wickets in the day. In terms of runs that is barely a day’s quorum in this day and age. But cricket of that type grips the attention and the tension drives a spade into clay with feeling.

With the BBC commentary for company I had barely pegged out the area for digging when Davey struck for his second wicket. Perhaps the warm up matches had not entirely flattered to deceive. 1 for 2 and not as the Australians have it. A stand started to develop for the third wicket as Lancashire tried to regroup and the clay, growing in confidence, regrouped with growing tenacity as the spade became as heavy as the cricket was threatening to become. Then Overton took a hand. What a bowler he can be when he gets it right. Three glorious wickets in three overs as the clay and Lancashire took one hell of a beating. 39 for 5. Progress indeed as my hole spread. Never was clay so light. Lighter still as Groenewald removed Mclaren. 42 for 6.

Then, remembering my last patio had been laid in Marcus Trescothick’s debut season, I decided to pace myself and dropped the intensity of my digging. The cricket seemed to match my step as Lancashire eased to lunch still six down. A quick look at Grockles revealed Geordie Moonraker insisting it was ‘foot on neck’ time. He meant the necks of the Lancashire batsmen, and wanted them out for less than three figures, but the cricket was running in tandem with my digging and so I was shamed into pressing harder on the neck of the spade. It produced almost instant results. Overton took another two in two overs. 83 for 8. Harder and faster went the spade as the clay gave as much ground as Lancashire. Groenewald, in the midst of what sounded to be a typically understated 3 for 8 in nearly 9 overs dug Lancashire's hole deeper with another one. 84 for 9.

On target for Geordie Moonrakers “less than three figures”. Liam Livingstone though, as wickets piled up alongside the clay I had dug out, decided T20 was the answer. The commentary conjured up visions of scoops, ramps and anything else unorthodox he could think of to project the ball to anywhere on the boundary where a fielder might not be. Livingstone’s 40 runs off just 32 balls after lunch might turn out to be gold dust in a low scoring game. Of one thing I am certain. No gold rush ever took place in clay soil. Or against such bowling as Groenewald must have served up today. Returns in either case would have been far too meagre to have made it worth the candle.

And so as Trescothick and Elgar started to build a platform hopes started to rise and I realised just how high our spellbinding bowling and almost faultless fielding had built my pile of excavated clay. A few measurements revealed about two inches depth of my hole too much of clay. When in a hole stop digging. Especially if you are digging it whilst Somerset are on commentary. The shock of that realisation did for Trescothick and further tested Abell’s resolve as he went for 1. 44 for 2. Give him some time I thought and he will come good. And with luck so will my patio. Class always does. Abell’s that is. My patio is two digs down one up and not a slab yet in sight yet.

For a moment, one over to be precise, Hildreth threatened to speed my retrenchment with a spectacular assault as 16 runs came from five balls until the clay hit back with his wicket off the sixth - an assault on the last ball before tea. Even the best quality clay can be infuriating. 63 for 3.

After tea the focus needed to be on settling things down. Care was needed to compact and level the soil whilst maintaining a downward slope away from the house. Davies started me on the downward slope before I even got the commentary back up. 67-4. Dark broodings from the commentators soon suggested Somerset might not even reach the Lancashire total. When in a hole trust Trego. While I was levelling off he was digging in. And Elgar had been digging in all the while. If ever you have a patio to dig out he might just turn out to be your man. For an hour the three of us got the job done. Them digging in and me levelling out.

Levelling out is a funny thing. Just when you think you have got the job done you hit rocks. I had no sooner relaxed than Trego and Gregory were gone. LBW to ones that might have kept low according to wsm fan. And we have to bat last. And Anderson has not fully come to the party yet. Oh yes. My clay has rocks in it too. And then Davey followed, followed by Overton and all four in the time it took me to get the “sub-base” down. Sub-base? Whatever happened to hardcore? I guess that was Elgar. 66 not out off 52 overs and thank goodness for it.

Worry not about Elgar, AG on apple. At least not yet. A score of 50+ in approximately 1 in 3 innings is pretty close to what Viv Richards managed in his first class career with Somerset. Now, Dean Elgar is no Viv Richards (who is?), and Viv Richards’ 50+s did include 47 hundreds; and Elgar has only had three innings this visit. Trescothick too over his long career averages roughly one score of 50+ for every three innings. That seems to be the standard for the best. Let us judge Elgar at the end of his stay rather than at the beginning.

And so we start tomorrow on 153 for 8, some runs still to get, not to mention another ten Lancashire wickets for not too many. And I start tomorrow with some slabs to lay. Anyone who has done it will know it is a challenging combination of heavy and precise work which needs concentration, discipline and patience. Somerset and me both.

geordie moonraker
geordie moonraker (IP Logged)
22 April, 2017 07:37
There is almost an opening for a publication entitled "Farmer's collected musings" Splendid.All the best with the patio
So to today. Another 50 this morning? I hardly dare hope but a lead of 100 would be precious.Lancs can hardly tumble again for a second time. although judging by the clouds in Newcastle ~I'd rather be bowling. A quick mention in despatches for Jack for his rearguard action.

chunkyinargyll
chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
22 April, 2017 07:49
Of course, if Mike Brearley was captaining, he'd declare 43 runs ahead, on the basis that the first hour of play could produce the most wickets (so why spend half an hour trying to get maybe an extra 20 runs?) Won't happen- and I wouldn't seriously advocate it, because of the hysteria if it backfired.

wsm fan
wsm fan (IP Logged)
22 April, 2017 08:08
Bright an sunny start in Manchester and forecast as such all day.
So overhead at least will be perfect for batting compared to yesterday at least.....

Eek out another 30ish then 40-3 at lunch, just wait!

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
22 April, 2017 08:10
Important morning for Dean Elgar. Jack and Tim can stay and contribute so we have reason to hope for a little more. Another 50 odd would be very welcome.

(Sm72)

mikeindex
mikeindex (IP Logged)
22 April, 2017 12:01
Second consecutive 50 partnership involving Jack Leach. Another all-rounder in the making?

Loyal of Lhasa
Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
22 April, 2017 12:14
Farmer White: Make sure that when you lay those paving stones that Lancs are well and truly buried beneath them.

Lovely posting: never knowining infra dig.

LoL

Seventy Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/04/2017 12:42 by Loyal of Lhasa.

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
22 April, 2017 12:23
God, I love Jack Leach!!

Loyal of Lhasa
Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
22 April, 2017 12:31
Jerusale facing an enigma? Bobstan (and others) will understand.

LoL

Seventy Seasons a Somerset Supporter

mikeindex
mikeindex (IP Logged)
22 April, 2017 12:41
Bravo Jack on reaching what really is a maiden first-class fifty this time! I thought it wouldn't be too long coming.

rambling sid
rambling sid (IP Logged)
22 April, 2017 12:42
?
Amazing rearguard action. 100 for 0ne and 50 for t'other I hope.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net