cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Somerset will or won't be Champions of the CC1 in

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

wsm fan
Re: No Shelter from Anderson
wsm fan (IP Logged)
23 April, 2017 15:47
Another tough session but we have stuck to it well on a sunny day on an absolute flat lifeless track.

To keep the run rate at 3s is great discipline in the circumstances.
3 wickets in this session, lewis 1 & craig 2.
Net 185/5 with 34 overs left today & a poor forecast tomorrow.
Need to be batting tonight still......

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
23 April, 2017 16:31
And the $64 million question is obviously whether or not the track will still look like a lifeless dirge when Jimmy bowls on it and our guys bat on it?

It seems that any moisture has long since left the surface. It may be 'too cold to swing,' tomorrow even if it is overcast. But, to be honest the forecast seems to be 'rain, then sun,' so there may be zero play under overcast skies anyway. How much will the track sweat under the covers and, what can Jimmy and Jarvis do with any assistance thus provided?

I still think the draw is the favourite here, but it might be only a 40% favourite now, with each side, perhaps, having a 30% chance of victory at the present time.

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
23 April, 2017 16:32
And Jack gets Livingstone..

Mike BOS
Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
23 April, 2017 18:19
Somerset should be praise by the way they stuck at it today, listening to the commentary the bowlers bowled with discipline with very few errors in the field.

Finish them off quickly tomorrow and chase down the target set.

Bagpuss
Bagpuss (IP Logged)
23 April, 2017 18:40
Bowlers have worked bloomin hard today with scant reward. Particularly impressive was Craig either side of tea. Two wickets and could've had at least two more as edges flew agonisingly out of reach. As a unit they put the brakes on Lancashire's scoring; early afternoon it looked like they would be 300+ ahead and might even have had a dart at us before close of play. Now if we take out the weather factor they'd need to bat on in the morning.

Unfortunately if you do take the forecast into consideration its unlikely anyone will be batting tomorrow morning. In which case if there is play later Lancs will probably declare and we hope the pitch hasn't turned back from road to minefield under the covers.

Farmer White
Farmer White (IP Logged)
23 April, 2017 23:18
Somerset in the field today:

Matthew Maynard (Somerset): “The way that they went about their business was impressive and we couldn’t have asked for any more of them.”

Paul Edwards (Cricinfo): “Somerset's bowlers ….. made an immense contribution”.

Bagpuss (Grockles) – from Old Trafford: “Bowlers have worked bloomin hard today with scant reward.”

Wsm fan (Grockles) – from Old Trafford (at tea): “Another tough session but we have stuck to it well on a sunny day on an absolute flat lifeless track.”

The BBC commentary reflected all the above.

Lancashire’s 423 for 7 has been scored at 2.83 per over.

No more need be said about today.

As to tomorrow. Lancashire say the pitch, whilst still good, is beginning to deteriorate. They speak darkly of some uneven bounce and Jack Leach starting to get turn. They would say that wouldn’t they. Which does not mean there is not something in it. And Anderson is still brooding.

Batsmen take note. Follow the example of the bowlers. Discipline and perseverance. Sureness of stroke. Calm of mind. Stay in. Above all stay in until the pitch is assessed. Take runs if they are there for the taking. But only if they are there for the taking. And if there is a win in this pitch, and the time for it, it will present itself if enough wickets remain in hand. That, if it comes, will be the time for the charge.

wsm fan
wsm fan (IP Logged)
23 April, 2017 23:40
Despite scoreboard at ground, the announcer and various online cards im 99.9% sure Livingstone was not caught by Elgar. It was RVDM who was fielding sub all day.
Maynard then subbed on several times as 14th man with jamie & roloef out of action.
As such i assume Tom will open with Dean at 7 or lower should we get to bat and if we lose any wickets that is!

BristolRob
RadstockRob (IP Logged)
24 April, 2017 00:41
Bagpuss,

Rain in Manchester at this time of year?

You cannot be serious!

SOMERSET THE TEAM TO WATCH.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
24 April, 2017 05:16
I noticed MM was on the field at one point - put him out as sweeper!!!

Yes...one of those season days we may look back on as a point in 2017. Do we get a total, do we stick at the job and reach it or do we fall short? A win at Old Trafford would be a big step up for the season.

As with many seasons before, the batsman have to get themselves into order and create bases for others early in the season if we are not to constantly play catch up with those sides who can get their batting orders firing from number 1.

(Sm72)

geordie moonraker
geordie moonraker (IP Logged)
24 April, 2017 07:54
So what is today's scenario. Assuming no rain I guess there will be about 15 overs more in the Lancs innings leaving us 300 behind. This means that to win we have to score at about 3.75 and over. It is possible but I would hope that we go along steadily looking to not lose wickets but at about 3 or just under an over. If we get to tea at that rate with wickets in hand then the rate needed would be 5 so unless we tip the equation by 3 very quick wickets then we are looking at a solid batting performance and a draw, with credit to Lancs for coming back so strongly. I've a funeral today so hope I don't come back in and find us dead and buried.

mikeindex
mikeindex (IP Logged)
24 April, 2017 09:01
The forecast for Manchester today has changed quite a bit over the last couple of days and it seems we are now looking at cloudy skies this morning, with possibly a very little rain, and a bright sunny afternoon. Which I guess is more promising from our point of view than what it said yesterday (overcast all day) or Saturday (lots of rain).
Of course it may have changed its mind yet again by 11.00.

Bagpuss
Bagpuss (IP Logged)
24 April, 2017 09:03
Cloudy but dry atm in Liverpool

Farmer White
Farmer White (IP Logged)
24 April, 2017 09:17
When considering whatever the target turns out to be Somerset need to consider that none of the three innings in this match to date have quite reached a run rate of 3 an over. 2.9 seems to be about the average pace of this pitch. Starting off at a tempo around that might be the thing and see if it gets us close enough to accelerate towards the target later. If the pitch is just beginning to misbehave as Lancashire would have us believe even that might be a bit ambitious. Hopefully though we will take a bit of time to make our own assessment of batting on it now rather than take their word for it. Take time, assess the pitch, bat at its tempo, accelerate if the opportunity arises.

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
24 April, 2017 09:47
Chris Rogers said the same thing about the Taunton track last time out - it's probably kidology.

If the forecast is right, Lancs should probably declare immediately and have Jimmy operate under heavy cloud cover vs a suspect SCCC batting line-up, shorn of Elgar at the top of the order.

Let's face it we are both technically and temperamentally (too prone to loose shots when what is needed is mental toughness and discipline) vulnerable when the ball is moving around and only Elgar has passed 50 in the first three innings (of those principally employed to bat) so we're not exactly form horses either. So if I was Lancs, I'd get us into bat pronto rather than risk a session where they waste 45 minutes of cloud cover whilst struggling to add perhaps 30 more runs for the loss of their remaining wickets.

Shepton Paul 2
Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
24 April, 2017 09:54
Anyone know the issue with Elgar if he didn't field yesterday?

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
24 April, 2017 10:27
Finger, apparently so probably bad news unless, perhaps, it's just cut. More often than not a fracture would equal 3-6 weeks out.

Farmer White
Farmer White (IP Logged)
24 April, 2017 12:13
295 off 77 at 3.83.

Bagpuss
Bagpuss (IP Logged)
24 April, 2017 12:18
Don't throw away the bowlers' hard work. Dig in till tea. A draw is a good result.

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
24 April, 2017 12:19
A pretty unlikely equation unless Lancs bowl like drains, given a persistent run rate of below 3 in this match, especially with Elgar a fitness question mark.

mikeindex
mikeindex (IP Logged)
24 April, 2017 12:21
So, Parry finally gone (after the third career-best score of the match, plus one Championship best). 295 needed at just under 4.
What are the overhead conditions like? I'm sure the radio commentators must have said but I didn't catch it.

Loyal of Lhasa
Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
24 April, 2017 12:22
Sounds like a thoroughly professional performance this morning.

LoL

Seventy Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Mike BOS
Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
24 April, 2017 12:36
Come on AG, be a bit more positive!

Farmer White
Farmer White (IP Logged)
24 April, 2017 12:48
From 200 miles away Mike! I am trying to be positive about pointing up my patio.

Angell Face
Angell Face (IP Logged)
24 April, 2017 13:06
4 an over needed. It's going to be close. I predict a win by 6 wickets.

Shepton Paul 2
Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
24 April, 2017 13:12
If Elgar stays I'd expect a draw; if not, we win or lose.

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
24 April, 2017 13:48
Well, that's that out the window..

Farmer White
Farmer White (IP Logged)
24 April, 2017 13:49
Rate required now 4.1 assuming no extra overs which there won't be if we get close. With Elgar gone dig in. 4.1 over 66 overs on a 2.9 pitch needs pause for thought and patience from this far out.

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
24 April, 2017 14:01
If Elgar was the key man in terms of a draw then, absence of form notwithstanding, Tom Abell may be the key man now as he has the temperament to bat for long periods, if only he can locate his form.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
24 April, 2017 14:02
Dean was chosen to do his job because of his skills. The men around him were also chosen for their ability and are now given the opportunity to prove that assessment was a correct one.

One down and 10 others ready to work towards the win.

(Sm72)

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
24 April, 2017 14:04
Ahhhhh Tom.......

(Sm72)

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net