cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Time to the New Year

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Somerset Second XI - 2017
Clarence Parker (IP Logged)
30 May, 2017 16:30
As there has been a good deal of mention of this on other threads, I thought that it was a topic that deserved its own.

Well played today for Adam Hose on his century v. Warwickshire. The First XI should be beckoning.

Re: Somerset Second XI - 2017
AG on apple (IP Logged)
30 May, 2017 16:35
Yes, well played indeed.

Tim Rouse is also about 3/4 of the way towards a ton.

Matthew Maynard invited folks to "put pressure on him," viz selection.

Well, over to you, Matthew........

AG on apple (IP Logged)
30 May, 2017 16:42
Hose's wagon wheel shows boundaries all round the ground:

[www.totalcricketscorer.com]

AG on apple (IP Logged)
30 May, 2017 17:02
Ton-up, Tim Rouse - well done, Sir!!!!!!!!!!!

mikeindex (IP Logged)
30 May, 2017 17:47
A remarkable scorecard - 445 runs for 5 wickets, four of which fell at the same score.
Well done Adam and Tim, also Eddie and George, though 44 is nothing much by the latter's standards these days.
Is 306 a record for Somerset 2nd XI's 6th wicket, we ask ourselves?
Both sides appear to be fielding twelve players - I noticed this too in an earlier 2nd XI game this season (when all 12 Somerset players apparently batted, bowled and/or took a catch). Can someone explain the rules of the 2nd XI competition?

Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
30 May, 2017 17:51
Both sides appear to be fielding twelve players - It's a friendly!

AG on apple (IP Logged)
30 May, 2017 17:54
Still Warks are fielding 7 guys with first-team experience and, in many of those cases, they have significant first-team experience.

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
30 May, 2017 17:54
The rules are there are no rules.

12 a side, but only 11 bat, but you could have replacements who can bat and bowl if someone gets called up for the firsts. Then I think there is some rule that bowlers below 18 are only allowed so many over a spell/a day, so maybe you get an extra bowler to allow for the fact some of them can only bowl so many overs a day.

Basically- anything goes.

Edit to add- I don't think the fact it is a friendly is any different to if it was a 2nd XI championship match. I regularly check the scorecards and 12 per side (only 11 to bat) is the norm.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/05/2017 17:57 by chunkyinargyll.

mikeindex (IP Logged)
30 May, 2017 18:01
I'm pretty sure the other game where I looked at the scorecard was not a friendly - that was one reason I was so surprised. (Having said that, I can't remember who the opposition were so it might take a bit of tracking down).
Thanks Chunky for your explanation. It seems a situation fraught with ethically dubious possibilities.

Sloop John B (IP Logged)
30 May, 2017 18:05
Well do e Adam Hose. Positively put up his hand and shouted how much he wants a first team place. MM surely must take note!!

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
30 May, 2017 18:08
To be honest Mike, I don't think teams are worried about the opposition pulling a fast one. Characters turning up to trial for one team one week, and another the next. Whilst it's always nice to win a 2nd XI comp, teams don't exist to win 2nd XI comps. It's all about preparing people who might be good enough to gain a contract, or be promoted to the firsts. A couple of years ago Middlesex lent the opposition a player for the day (might have been Kent) They turned up with the bare minimum number of players, and someone got injured at the last minute. Attitude was it gave one of our academy lads a game, and no one was bothered.

Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
30 May, 2017 18:22
I bet the two teams playing at the county ground on Friday will think it is important match albeit a Trophy match not a CC match.

Grockle (IP Logged)
31 May, 2017 06:58
Was MM there to see parts of this game does anyone know?

(Sm72)

AG on apple (IP Logged)
31 May, 2017 07:44
Apparently Chris Rogers has been following the seconds around so, at a minimum, he is likely to have been there to feed back to Maynard (rather than just Steve Snell).

Personally, I'd hope that Maynard was there himself.

Grockle (IP Logged)
31 May, 2017 10:52
Well that was what I was thinking as it must be getting to the point, whatever Matt's view on losing teams, when he ought to at least know what resources he has to hand.

Chris' assessment would be useful however.

Adam does seem to be at the point of being given the chance to see how calm and organised he could be in the longer format however. Last time he still had the 'must get on' one day attitude and tried to push on rather than build. His one day batting had a more mature nature to it in the 50 over stuff it seemed.

(Sm72)

AG on apple (IP Logged)
31 May, 2017 15:38
4 wkts for Josh, 3 for the Meerkat - each guy has at least 2 wkts of players with first-team experience including both openers for the Meerkat.

0 wickets to go with 0 runs for Jim Allenby so Mr Maynard's case for potentially introducing him at number 7 is looking rather weak at the present time,

Personally I can see little or no point in shooting Lewis Gregory up to bowl at half-pace. TG will come in for Cove and it would surely be logical for either JD or the Meerkat to replace LG. I suppose MM may be a little concerned with the batting balance of the side in those scenarios which is where and why he may think of Allenby at 7.

Nailsea_Fizz (IP Logged)
31 May, 2017 21:15
Just a quick question, is "Meerkat" an official nickname or one you have made up for your own amusement

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31/05/2017 21:16 by Nailsea_Fizz.

AG on apple (IP Logged)
31 May, 2017 21:52
Just realised this is a four day game which may help to explain the approach that Myburgh seems to have taken - 20 from 9 balls and then out. Good for him for batting for the team rather than for a possible place at Lord's.

Eddie Byrom unbeaten overnight. Quick runs in the morning and then unleash the bowlers again. Our seconds generally seem to be way too good for most of their opponents. I suppose we might possibly see a SCCC bowler being withdrawn from the game though if deemed to be needed for Lord's?

AG on apple (IP Logged)
01 June, 2017 13:40
Ryan Davies making zero case to replace Steven - a pair vs Warks.

AG on apple (IP Logged)
01 June, 2017 17:07
3 wkts and more than 150 runs in the match for Tim Rouse. Well done, that man. About 130 or so runs in the match for Eddie Byrom. More second innings wickets for the Flying Dutchman and Josh Davey also a big success in this match. So 5 big successes, Hose being the other.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net