cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Time to the New Year

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Re: Somerset Second XI - 2017
Grizzzly (IP Logged)
01 June, 2017 18:13
Yes, well done indeed.

As for the Davies's, perhaps a name change might be their best option !

Grizzzly

Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
02 June, 2017 18:09
Please don't quote me on this but if no more play Somerset win on DL.

It is close!!

Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
02 June, 2017 18:43
I said it was close. (Sm58)

Yorkshire won by three runs, it took the ECB to say so!!

AG on apple (IP Logged)
02 June, 2017 19:29
Meaningless, really.

Grockle (IP Logged)
02 June, 2017 19:50
Not to those playing in it I would imagine.

Well done boys bad luck that you didn't get across the line.

(Sm72)

Clarence Parker (IP Logged)
02 June, 2017 21:04
Yes, bad luck to lose a big game in such circumstances.

I saw all of Somerset's innings and a couple of overs into theirs so I didn't miss much.

328 in 47 overs seemed a reasonable score, and so it might have been but for the rain which had been threatening for some time.

How I wish Allenby could bat like this in the CC. Of the young batsmen, Bartlett and Ryan Davies did not look up to the task. I thought that Byrom batted well for his 51, but despite scoring a useful 64, Rouse looked uncomfortable at times in trying to play shots that were too adventurous for him. Personally I can't see him being ready for a CC call up yet.

About a hundred people there, which I am sure would have been more had the weather been more favourable.

These games give opportunities to meet and discuss things with the great and the good. Not at all happy about some things that I gleaned may be going on behind the scenes. Time will out (or not) as they say.

AG on apple (IP Logged)
03 June, 2017 08:46
When I said that it was irrelevant what I meant was that whether we were 3 ahead or 3 behind under D/L was a useless indicator as to who would have won the game, had it run its course.

Clarence Parker (IP Logged)
03 June, 2017 09:38
But D/L is what we are stuck with.

It has its shortcomings, but can you come up with a better idea?

AG on apple (IP Logged)
03 June, 2017 09:46
I wasn't complaining about the system. I just meant that the match was entirely inconclusive given the tightness of D/L margin. Had we been 30 behind or 30 ahead on D/L then there's a strong chance that the D/L result would have accurately predicted the actual result.

AG on apple (IP Logged)
03 June, 2017 09:48
However I do think that, in non-knockout matches where the D/L margin is plus/minus ten or fewer then the match should be declared a tie and the points shared. This would be on the basis of very limited predictive ability of the system when margins are that tight.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2017 09:49 by AG on apple.

cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
03 June, 2017 16:12
Somerset Seconds were the victims of a lack of knowledge about the D/L method by both the umpires and scorers in the Trophy semi-final yesterday. That is why the ECB had to be `phoned for a decision - which in my opinion was the wrong one.

When Yorks batted, the D/L score at the end of each over was based on Somerset having batted the full 50 overs. This mistake was made because their tenth wicket fell from the last ball of the 47th over - all that they were allocated because of the early (ridiculous) rain break.

As this was the last ball they faced, the false assumption was made that they hadn`t used their full allocation but had fallen three overs short. So when it became obvious that rain was about to end the Yorkshire run chase for good, the D/L figure on the board was incorrect - but allowed to stand.

Praise though to the smart thinking of the Yorkshire No.3 batsman who, when the rain had already started blocked the last three balls of their final over so that no wicket fell and the incorrect D/L calculation became even harder than to match.

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
03 June, 2017 16:33
Dianne Abbott in charge of D/L?

[i2.wp.com]

Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
01 July, 2017 08:54
Honours even yesterday with Middlesex winning the first t20 and Somerset winning the second.

A better batting performance in the second match, Jim Allenby out for 0 in the first match scored 91no in the second match with Peter Trego hitting a quick 78.

Wickham (IP Logged)
04 July, 2017 19:47
The Seconds won both their matches against Gloucestershire yesterday. Ollie Sale took 3 for 24 off four overs in the first match and 3 for 23 off four in the second. He had looked the pick of the bowlers when I watched he final day of last week's Seconds match against Surrey.

AG on apple (IP Logged)
04 July, 2017 22:08
Thanks for the interesting report on Ollie Sale who seems to have fought back well from his back injury from the latter part of 2015/first half of 2016.

AGod (IP Logged)
24 July, 2017 14:18
I see that one Zak Bess is in for the seconds today - brother of Dom, I assume?

Wickham (IP Logged)
24 July, 2017 14:27
... cousin.

Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
24 July, 2017 16:42
Mikeindex will have to revise his Dombess and Daughter. We have a positive Besstiary now.

LoL

Sixty-nine Seasons a Somerset Supporter

mikeindex (IP Logged)
24 July, 2017 16:50
@Lol LIke.

AGod (IP Logged)
24 July, 2017 17:36
Fine figures for Dom who seems, generally, to be the most consistent seconds bowler in T20.

39 runs for Tom A and Essex beaten soundly enough.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net