cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Time to the New Year

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Re: Somerset Second XI - 2017
hantssabre (IP Logged)
01 August, 2017 12:12
See Marcus got a duck and Rouse 8 for the seconds today at Gloucester. Doesn't bode well

AGod (IP Logged)
01 August, 2017 12:27
If the next couple of CC games don't go our way and if MT doesn't make many in them, then it will - surely - be time to move on from Marcus from a team selection point of view?

If we don't win at least one of the next two, then we won't be staying up and the club will have a need to look to the future, give some extra first-team experience to somebody else before Div Two rears its hideous head. And if MT isn't scoring any runs anyway, then there wouldn't be much in the way of concern about 'playing fair by our opponents.'

hantssabre (IP Logged)
01 August, 2017 12:38
Abell run out for 24

Somerset Second XI - 2017
Following on (IP Logged)
01 August, 2017 13:04
From looking at the scorecard, we must assume batting is tricky if Somerset are 12 - 2 off 10.3 overs.

AGod (IP Logged)
01 August, 2017 15:44
Byrom has heavily outscored Rouse.

Given that fact and that he was first cab off the rank when first MM made a change in the top three, I think one must assume that Eddie will retain his place. There's no doubt in my mind that MM will restore Abell.

Therefore, for better or for worse, we shall have a top three of Tresco, Byrom and Abell for the Surrey match. Hilreth and Davies, S, will man the four and five roles.

Number six is anybody's guess but I'd put LG there in preference to an out of form Trego or a not particularly in form (and quite possibly in the dog house, Jim Allenby*). With LG in that spot we can pick both three front-line seamers and 3 front-line spinners, should we so choose, with Cove, TG, Dom, Jack and Roelof all joining LG in the attack.

I suppose a case could be made for including George Bartlett at number 6 but, alas, much of his earlier form seems to have deserted him.

*Even if everything that Jim said was entirely true, it's pretty obvious that the club did not want this information to be released. If what he said wasn't true, they will presumably be furious with him.

Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
01 August, 2017 16:33
Centuries for Byrom and Davies Minor this afternoon.

LoL

Sixty-nine Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Sloop John B (IP Logged)
01 August, 2017 20:32
...and a fifty for George Bartlett in the U19's.

AGod (IP Logged)
01 August, 2017 22:42
After twin fiftes in the Academy game vs Devon, 15 year old Will Smeed was promoted to the second XI - one hopes that the lad gets a chance with bat pre any declaration.

AGod (IP Logged)
02 August, 2017 19:28
Mr Smeed got his chance, in pursuit of a declaration, and made 21 so can probably feel pretty happy with himself.

Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
02 August, 2017 20:17
i wish I'd made 21 when aged only 15 - or 15 when 21 for that matter. Young Smeed sounds like someone worth watching.

LoL

Sixty-nine Seasons a Somerset Supporter

AGod (IP Logged)
07 August, 2017 13:33
Our two Second XI Toms, Messrs Lammonby and Banton, are both playing for England Under 19 vs India today.

AGod (IP Logged)
07 August, 2017 13:39
Banton was out for 15.

Tom L is unbeaten on the same score.

cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
08 August, 2017 18:22
van Meekeren now among the Hampshire Seconds wickets at Taunton Vale - 4for23, with the visitors now needing 74 to make Somerset bat again.

One more in the second innings for skipper Peter Trego, to add to his five wickets in the first knock.

AGod (IP Logged)
08 August, 2017 19:28
And Meerkat was included in the squad for the Surrey game ahead of Davey.

I don't imagine, for one moment, that we'll playing just 3 seamers with Allenby first change at Chelmsford.

So there's at least one place up for grabs, two if Allenby gets dropped.

It could be that both Van Meekeren and Davey will join Cove and TG in the attack. Or will Trego manage to fight his way back in? Trego would no more be first change that Allenby should be, really, but I could see Meerkat and Trego possible replacing Dom and Allenby (unless of course Trego is a permanent resident in the MM doghouse).

Hopefully there are further seconds red ball games before Chelmsford in which this competition can play out.

AGod (IP Logged)
08 August, 2017 19:30
I checked and there is one red ball seconds game, also against Essex (at home) before the first-team away game.

If they are fit then maybe Ben Green and Ollie Sale can play that one, too, along with all of Davey, Meerkat and Trego to create a real shoot-out for a place (or two)?

Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
08 August, 2017 20:11
If PT is captaining the 2s, I don't see that as the doghouse.

AGod (IP Logged)
08 August, 2017 22:04
Fair enough.

The bowl may have done him some good anyway.

cricketharris (IP Logged)
21 August, 2017 21:53
With a Somerset 1st X1 playing against Essex 2nd's at the Vale for the next couple od days it should, hopefully, bring out a good crowd of spectators (or are we called "customers" these days?).

Grockle (IP Logged)
21 August, 2017 22:12
Is it worth it after losing the first day?

(Sm72)

cricketharris (IP Logged)
22 August, 2017 12:41
Worth what?
Or are you put off by the fact that it will no doubt end in a draw?

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net