cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Time until I see some live home cricket. Bring on 2017!!!

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
England v South Africa Test Series
Bagpuss (IP Logged)
03 July, 2017 10:39
Faf Du Plessis not going to make it back from attending the birth of his child in South Africa in time for the start of the Lord's test on Thursday. Somerset's Dean Elgar will stand in as captain.

Re: England v South Africa Test Series
AG on apple (IP Logged)
05 July, 2017 12:03
Two spinners, apparently, which is unusual for England at Lord's.

Has Mick Hunt made something abnormally dry?

Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
05 July, 2017 13:43
Can't believe Dawson's expected to play - again he strikes me as nothing special. Surely TRJ has to play - I'd pick him ahead of Broad (who will now get ten wickets in the match).

Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
05 July, 2017 16:17
And I shall pick Shepton Paul ahead of Dawson.

LoL

Sixty-nine Seasons a Somerset Supporter

05 July, 2017 18:58
I'm passed my best, LoL...

wsm fan (IP Logged)
05 July, 2017 19:14
If Dawson is the 2nd best spinner in England then.......

Moeen Rashid Crane Leach Bess Rayner to name just 6.
As painful as it is to say even Gareth a better option

AG on apple (IP Logged)
05 July, 2017 19:55
Dawson did do rather well against us recently. Crane would be way too expensive. Batty is too much of a you know what and 73 years old. Not sure if Ollie R in good form at the moment - wouldn't be picked anyway as publicly lambasted ECB morons over treatment of Leachy.

Leachy may still have Chris Rogers' assessment hanging over his head - for example Bayliss may pay attention to what CR thinks.

Clarence Parker (IP Logged)
05 July, 2017 21:45
Forgetting the end of last season, I still think that Jack Leach is some way away from a Test call up.

I hope that he gets there eventually.

05 July, 2017 21:54
Talking about England and Dawson, but never let a chance be missed to diss one our own young players.

05 July, 2017 22:00
Who mentioned his name first?

Batters have given him the charge this year, and he (Leach that is, in case you didn't realise Shepton) has done very little in the Championship.

Not worthy of selection yet, IMO.

05 July, 2017 22:05
I agree with you Clarence, that he's not yet England level (but I don't think Dawson is either), but I just felt it wasn't necessary to pick him out as not yet worthy.

Angell Face (IP Logged)
05 July, 2017 22:33
Leach has done very little in the Championship? Which Championship is that Clarence? According to Cricinfo, he's our joint leading wicket taker with 20 wickets at an average of 33. I do agree, however, that he's still learning his trade and is not yet Test standard.

05 July, 2017 22:34
"Moeen, Rashid, Crane, Leach, Bess, Rayner to name just 6. As painful as it is to say even Gareth a better option."

This is a Somerset site and both Leach and Bess are Somerset players. AG had already written his thoughts on Chris Rogers' assessment of Jack, and I thought it right to publicly agree.

You also said that you agree with me that he's "not yet England level", so we are making progress.

To single out Dom Bess on the basis of just a handful of CC matches, would I agree have been unfair.

So I live in hope that you may give me some credit for that.

Scrumper (IP Logged)
05 July, 2017 22:36
Reading The Time's headline "De Kock can strike fear into England". Apparently he has a higher strike rate than Arthur Scargill.

Grockle (IP Logged)
05 July, 2017 22:56
It comes with the territory Clarence. When you rarely say anything positive people see what they expect to see. Balance breeds balance old boy.

You predicted batsmen would give Jack the charge at the start of the season. You expected him to do 'very little'.

Maybe 20 batsmen have learned not to give Jack Leach the charge because he seems to be a little more than the suggested one season wonder who wasn't going to deal with the second season pressure.

Is he ready for England? Well he was a hell of a lot readier than Ansari and is a better prospect than Dawson.

I'm happy if they don't pick him. I think we need him in Somerset for the second half of this season.

(Sm72)

05 July, 2017 22:56
So, you think that 20 wickets at an average of 33.6 in 8 Championship matches is more than a little Angell Face? Plus the fact that he has played half of those matches on spin - friendly pitches at Taunton?

If you think that is good then I can offer you no advice.

Grockle (IP Logged)
05 July, 2017 23:03
Gosh!!!! A spinner takes wickets on spin friendly wickets!!! Blame him for that people!!

All our games weren't at Taunton Clarence

Did he take larger amounts of wickets on those strips or the others?

Do you know or is this just an effort to back up the initial statement using the ECB speak we've all read and ignored because you don't know when to stop or just can't?

What do you expect him to do? Not take wickets when conditions are in his favour?

Were they illegal wickets? Was he breaking the laws or doing his job?

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2017 23:10 by Grockle.

Angell Face (IP Logged)
06 July, 2017 09:57
Clarence, you said "VERY little" (my emphasis). I don't agree with you.

06 July, 2017 10:10
Grockle, please tell me that your posting of 23:03 was compiled after imbibing a few.

Can't think of any other explanation.

Yes, VERY little, Angell Face - My opinion.

Grockle (IP Logged)
06 July, 2017 11:38
Can you give us all the name of the present English spinner taking loads of wickets on NON spin friendly strips who is at the forefront of your thinking for England's spin place then Clarence.

It might take your mind off of other things for a while so you can come up with a more inventive response when you can't give an answer to a simple question.

Or maybe the posts are too complex for your mind in the late evening. If you could post earlier I could reply earlier and make it easier for you?

Trying to 'cleverly' insult the other poster because you have no real answer is not your forte sir I am afraid. 'Must try harder' would be the teacher's response on the end of term report.

(Sm72)

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net