cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Time to the New Year

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Blast Off
Bagpuss (IP Logged)
09 July, 2017 09:21
Two days after the tournament started Somerset are at the Oval this afternoon for their opening match.

Allenby (c)
Myburgh
S Davies (w)
Trego
Hildreth
Hose
Anderson
VD Merwe
Gregory
C Overton
Davey
Groenewald
Waller

They play a Surrey side shorn of their captain Gareth Batty and in form icon Kumar Sangakkara. The pantomime-villain-captain theme is maintained with Jade Dernbach elevated to the role whilst Aaron Finch is their other overseas player. They name same squad after victory in their first match at Chelmsford on Friday. Ben Foakes missed that match with a sore back and will have a fitness test today

Dernbach
Borthwick
Burns
S Curran
T Curran
Finch
Foakes
Meaker
Patel
Pope
Rampaul
Roy
Sibley
Stoneman
VD Bergh

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2017 20:19 by Grockle.

Re: Blast Off
brt1919 (IP Logged)
09 July, 2017 12:21
I'm off to watch shortly as it's my closest ground. On paper we do have a strong team, but the worry is the time since some of them hit or bowled a ball in anger & Surrey have had a match already.

Still, can live in hope, anything can happen, & maybe a few of our players will have a point to prove

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
09 July, 2017 14:35
So, Myburgh doesn't make the final eleven in T20 either.

Why is he on the staff?

AG on apple (IP Logged)
09 July, 2017 15:32
Answers on a postcard to Matt Maynard..

Anyway, anything over 160 is usually too much for us to chase at the Oval so, with 23 balls left and Surrey presumably set for 170-175 this doesn't look great at the mo.

AG on apple (IP Logged)
09 July, 2017 15:38
Corey Anderson only one over? Already injured? Wouldn't be a huge surprise given his injury track record

Grockle (IP Logged)
09 July, 2017 15:58
Are we all sure that JM is not injured in some way? That would cover the reasons he is not playing. Not sure what the other reason is.

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2017 07:15 by Grockle.

09 July, 2017 16:13
Well, he made the squad. Unless something happened in the intervening 24 hours, I assume fit.

Nailsea_Fizz (IP Logged)
09 July, 2017 16:31
A bit of an inglorious start unfortunately.

Rod1883 (IP Logged)
09 July, 2017 16:34
A bit of a capitulation I'm afraid at 33 for 5 after 6 and a bit overs

Dave65 (IP Logged)
09 July, 2017 17:03
Strange decision not to play Myburgh especially after the starts he got us off to in the 50 overs games. The first 6 overs are key in T20 cricket to getting a score on the board and Allenby, Davies and Hildreth as a top 3 aren't exactly going to strike fear into many opening bowling attacks. I think we have seen enough of Allenby's batting over the last 3 season to know that he's not really up to scratch, Davies has been even worse against the white ball than red ball this season and Hildreth could not get a game in the T20 last year and was dropped from the 50 over team this season.

Rod1883 (IP Logged)
09 July, 2017 17:23
Goodness, we're making a game of it - 12 penalty runs help

Scrumper (IP Logged)
09 July, 2017 17:33
Time for Max to make a name for himself.

AG on apple (IP Logged)
09 July, 2017 17:48
If fit to play anymore games, then I don't think we'll leave Anderson wasted at 7 again...

Bagpuss (IP Logged)
09 July, 2017 18:03
I think Anderson had to bat 7 because of the length of time he was off the field.
Sore back apparently.

mikeindex (IP Logged)
09 July, 2017 18:13
My team for next match: Myburgh for Hildreth (was expecting Hildreth to perform in T20 when he's only just recovered his form in proper cricket really justified?), Davies Minor for Davies Major. Myburgh to open, Anderson up to 4 or 5, whichever Davies no higher than 7.

Streeter (IP Logged)
09 July, 2017 18:16
And what were the 12 runs for , please ?

09 July, 2017 18:27
Not bowling their overs in time (6 runs per over)

Bagpuss (IP Logged)
09 July, 2017 18:36
Myburgh didnt play due to minor hand injury so hopefully he'll be back next match.

wsm fan (IP Logged)
09 July, 2017 18:36
Often best to wait to know the facts.....

Myburgh picked up.hand injury so wasnt considered.

Corey had sore back. So only bowled 1 over as a precaution. Then as was off the feild couldnt bat until 7.

brt1919 (IP Logged)
09 July, 2017 18:44
My god that was entertaining (which is what this format is all about at the end of the day). You could see the Surrey players looking up at the scoreboard with 3-4 over to go, realising they'd got into a pickle somewhat.

I can only assume they didn't give Somerset a hope of getting to that point of the game, which to be honest I didn't either. It was certainly fun when the crowd started to quieten down, but Anderson was maybe a bit reckless going for the 2nd run when he was run out, & maybe Davey should have refused a single on the penaultimate ball, but at least some of our guys made a game of it.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net