cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Time to the New Year

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Re: Last Women's cricket - S.Africa v Oz and Glammy later
nelliec (IP Logged)
15 July, 2017 20:27
Game abandoned.We break our run of 9 loses..Trying to find a positive!!!

Grockle (IP Logged)
15 July, 2017 20:27
Match abandoned but still no win in 10..... May have been lucky in this one. Middlesex tomorrow.

(Sm72)

AG on apple (IP Logged)
15 July, 2017 20:33
Almost certainly dodged a bullet as hugely unlikely that our hopelessly out of form batsmen could chase down 200+ (which is what they'd have probably got with Rudolph still in).

The worst of it is that the batsmen are now certain to get 'one more game,' as they didn't get their feet wet here.

AG on apple (IP Logged)
15 July, 2017 20:40
On a more positive note, if we continue to struggle in this format then maybe NONE of our players will get drafted into the franchise rubbish.

At the moment the only name that might be on somebody's list would be VDM, I'd have thought.

Grockle (IP Logged)
15 July, 2017 20:41
Johann probably won't be fit anyway and Mike Leask is supposed to be a T20 batsman so probably the same side - a bit spin heavy though.

Another absolutely storming caught and bowled by that man Waller again. This time he seemed to set him up for it.

(Sm72)

AG on apple (IP Logged)
15 July, 2017 20:49
After 9 successive defeats in completed matches and another unpromising performance tonight then it must be time for some changes.

We could do worse than thinking about changing the Captain first - especially if the commonly held belief that he won't be here next season is true.

Let's face it, we were never likely to make huge headway in this competition and it looks less likely now than before the comp started (when it already looked unlikely).

So perhaps we should move forward with somebody new, be it home grown like LG or Max (captained seconds quite a bit) or maybe somebody like Roelof?

Let's face we've very little to lose by making a change. We surely need to win some games because losing everytime in T20 is unlikely to help morale ahead of the CC resumption.

cricketharris (IP Logged)
15 July, 2017 21:00
I thought there was quite a reasonable crowd there today considering it was quite chilly but some of Australia's batting was lovely to watch. These two teams could well meet in the final and it is difficult to see them losing. (There, is thatokay, Grockle?)

Grockle (IP Logged)
15 July, 2017 21:00
And in the short term how will this help?

Jim will still have to play so how will this disruption create anything but more instability?

If it can't get any worse and the strategy is from the centre how can changing the captain without changing the strategy create better results? The resources available presently are the same. Do you expect someone thrown into the job on a match's notice to suddenly stumble over the solution?

Surely if it can't get any worse then the way to go is fight to make it better this year and SERIOUSLY this time plan and organise for the T20 next year (our next to last top level competitive version of this format).

Cut your losses on this, blood the young, work on the mistakes and plan for the only meaningful thing left this season which is the CC1.

(Sm72)

Grockle (IP Logged)
15 July, 2017 22:11
Myburgh's hand has flared up again. He won't be playing tomorrow it seems.

(Sm72)

Scrumper (IP Logged)
15 July, 2017 23:13
Is Tom Cooper available?

Grockle (IP Logged)
15 July, 2017 23:16
(Sm22) For the tennis Scrumper?

I'd take him at the moment.

(Sm72)

Scrumper (IP Logged)
15 July, 2017 23:28
I'll row out and get him then. Maybe I can pick up a couple of Somalians who can play cricket on the way back.

AG on apple (IP Logged)
16 July, 2017 05:04
Yes, Grockle, I do think that a change in voice might produce a short-term lift.

It's worth a go, anyway, and anything is better than the definition of insanity..

wsm fan (IP Logged)
16 July, 2017 08:15
When asked last night Matt said we are looking for a second overseas player, but its tough due to availability or lack of.

I dont believe at the start of the summer we thought this. We were told Elgar was our 2nd overseas. But knew full well he could only play games 12 13 14. And thats only assuming he comes straight back to us not ordered to rest or have a recovery camp.

Unlike most i fully trust Matt and accept unlike many he has more knowledge and contacts in county game than i do.
I just can not believe if offered chance of Amir McCullum Tahir Marsh he'd say no he doesnt need them. He is judged on results and would want strongest T20 team possible. I also dont believe its money as we have had Gayle on mega bucks and are constantly told we in top 3 or 4 in country on player salary spend.
We have known how poor we have been in at T20 for past few seasons and the interest it creates in sell outs or near sellouts every home.
We were told we had a new plan this year but i cant see what. Very similar 11s going out in same order with same captain just with less overseas help.....

Grockle (IP Logged)
16 July, 2017 08:38
It seems it is money to an extent wsm. But prices seem to have risen as well. Availability is of course an issue but Elgar was never a realistic option if he couldn't play in the first 10 games. Anderson may not play many either. It depends now on whether the NZ management accept our treatment of the injury it seems.

You are right though. Very little seems to have changed from experience and that seems crazy looking at our performances last year

(Sm72)

wsm fan (IP Logged)
16 July, 2017 08:54
It just can not be lack of money?
We have had Gayle.
We have continued T20 sellouts.
We have fantastic accounts each year compared to many counties.
Plus we just must be a more attractive sell as a club than Derby Leics Glos Kent Northants etc.

Yorks have just signed Safraz last minute. An Aussue A tour just been cancelled. Glos just got Perera. Essex signed Tamim. It may not be easy but its not impossible.
Plus we have known Elgar misses first 11 since pre season.
It just doesnt all stack up for me.
We are a professional well run club.
All players are trying 100% and Matt must want the best possible side on the feild.
Plus wins helps Guy & Nash PR wise etc

Grockle (IP Logged)
16 July, 2017 09:47
Well you need to explain that to Somerset I'm afraid.

We have a large wage bill so I assume we are constrained by the cap? This probably means we need some internal pay restructuring before we can just pop out and buy anyone from the external market.

As I asked earlier on another thread. Who is actually available on this kind of notice who has been missed by everyone else or wasn't in the market earlier?

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/07/2017 09:54 by Grockle.

Botham (IP Logged)
16 July, 2017 10:01
The playing side of the club inspires no confidence at all. There doesn't appear to be a plan as to who the best X1 is. We keep chopping and changing and don't seem to be learning from past mistakes.

I think we need to have an idea of which is our best T20 X1 and stick with them, rather than putting individuals under pressure to perform.

I don't know why JA is in team, as he no longer seems to bowl, isn't the most mobile and surely we have better batsmen.

I'm afraid we're a bit of a shambles and other teams seem to take a fancy to our bowling.

Attributes we certainly don't lack are courage, commitment and desire.

Grockle (IP Logged)
16 July, 2017 10:17
Who are the changes not caused by injury?

How can we be 'chopping and changing' when we've just played our third game.

Who is the better batsman on hand to replace Allenby presently - we could replace him with a more useful bowler perhaps.

Who do you suggest would captain in this mess?

You are talking about our bowling in the 3 T20 games we have played I assume.

(Sm72)

AG on apple (IP Logged)
16 July, 2017 11:11
Yes, WSM, I think you are probably onto something as I simply don't buy the line that we cannot find overseas players... I suspect that MM may have been told to pull in our belts, financially, and that he has been left to parrot the 'it's too difficult to find people line,' rather than allowed to admit that the difficulty revolves around price more so than availability.

Don't forget that all of our three Eng Lions' pacemen have received extended and (presumably) improved contracts in recent times, plus Steve Davies probably did not come cheap.

I think we'll find that with the retirement / departure of some experienced faces at the end of the year that, all of a sudden, Matthew won't be talking about how difficult it is to find overseas players next year....

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net