cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Time to the New Year

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Re: Last Women's cricket - S.Africa v Oz and Glammy later
AG on apple (IP Logged)
16 July, 2017 11:14
I should add that there was also a long new deal handed to Hildreth, too, as well as the deals for LG and Overton x 2.

I suppose the NC and CK wages came off the books but I strongly suspect that there has been a net increase in our wage bill over the past 18 months or so.

AG on apple (IP Logged)
16 July, 2017 11:17
Viz little changing, Grockle, remember that pre-season the talk was of giving a number of young players their head in this stuff. That indicated, to me, that the club probably didn't expect to be a front-runner in T20 and wanted to use this year's tourney to build for the future. I can only assume that the plan changed somewhat because somebody decided that the fans were probably down in the mouth due to the CC, so we'd better just pick our best XI every week for T20 to avoid alienating the fans.

wsm fan (IP Logged)
16 July, 2017 11:21
Dont buy that.
We spend vastly more on playing staff than at least 10 other counties who are all fielding overseas players.
Gayle was afforded last 2 years on presumably top dollar.
We are under the salary cap too so not constrained by that.
We have very very healthy accounts.
I just dont accept its money & we cant afford it.

AG on apple (IP Logged)
16 July, 2017 11:32
So what's your theory?

wsm fan (IP Logged)
16 July, 2017 11:40
Dont have one that's why i just do not understand.
Theories to me are pretty pointless on here. I like factual information.

We are not stupid. We are not intentionally trying to lose every game nor spent all winter planning for that to happen.
I as none of us on here are in possession of facts.
Im not going to slaughter Maynard or the players but would just like to understand things.

Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
16 July, 2017 11:48
I'm sure that when some senior players e.g. Trescothick etc. hang up their boots, the club will be able to divvy up the available money accordingly and perhaps justly.

Some players are probably locked into contracts with wage structures that simply wouldn't happen nowadays.

Seeing as we are talking about money, I'm sure the club have sums set aside for further ambitious ground improvement plans, floodlights etc.

Perhaps the playing budget is restricted by this also.

A glass half - empty or a glass half - full?
Regardless, both glasses need filling up.

Grockle (IP Logged)
16 July, 2017 11:52
I meant since the start of the T20. Which I assume is all that brings Botham out of the Dorset gloom AG. He refers to T20 'chopping and changing'. Just wondering who he means.

In fact the young changes have probably happened earlier than expected because of the CC1 issues. I'm all for the new boys. I'd like to see Ryan or Tom B in today behind the stumps. We need to look at Leask or let him go.

Interesting change in slant. I thought MM had ultimate cricket say in buying? Now you suggest he might be hamstrung by others. Are his signings his or not? This wasn't your view earlier in the season when others suggested he didn't have carte blanche to sign.

(Sm72)

Grockle (IP Logged)
16 July, 2017 11:56
There may very well be some divvying and hard decisions at the end of this season Tom.

Arem't the central boys going to cover a lot of the floodlight costs? Though I'm not sure what the point is given the probable future of Taunton as a premier venue.

(Sm72)

AG on apple (IP Logged)
16 July, 2017 12:05
Nobody ever said we had an unlimited budget, Grockle. But, yes, of course it is Maynard who decides which players we do or don't try to sign. So, of course his signings are his unless you imagine we're in Chelsea under Ranieri territory where players are signed and then just appear on the training ground one day sans consultation...I'd imagine somebody else (previously Lavender) would handle the actual agent negotiations.

Grockle (IP Logged)
16 July, 2017 12:16
Ahh that wasn't the emphasis earlier when it was suggested that signings were Somerset's with MM as the agent. You suggested he got what he wanted and I don't remember the budget even being mentioned... well not by you.

I agree with you that MM has an important input into the signings but I'm glad that you now admit that he is not the only voice or the single arbiter of who we have or have not signed in the past and that sometimes his views can be overruled by others.

Maybe we can now get rid of this myth of the 'Mayynard' signings and deal with the reality of the entity of Somerset County Cricket Club of which the DoC is an employee responsible and at least in conference with other aspects of the management.

Baby steps.

(Sm72)

wsm fan (IP Logged)
16 July, 2017 12:35
SD out injured stiff neck (overnight bus journey to Uxbridge cant have helped)

Tom Banton to debut

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
16 July, 2017 12:49
An interesting development indeed.

Where does that leave Ryan Davies?

AG on apple (IP Logged)
16 July, 2017 13:40
Same place that he was when the past two squads have been named - third choice.

AG on apple (IP Logged)
16 July, 2017 13:45
Sorry, Grockle - no - I don't expect anybody to overrule the DoC as to which players we sign. Matthew is given a budget and he decides how to spend it. He would, surely, only be 'over ruled,' if he proposed to make a signing that would exceed his budget.

If the situation is anything other than the above then MM would be a mug if he tolerated a situation where non cricket people are making decisions as to the merits of new signings...and I see no reason to suppose that non cricket people overrule MM viz players that he wishes to sign.

As for my 'not mentioning a budget'?

Some things are so obvious that they do not need to be mentioned. Even Warren Buffett probably 'has a budget.'

Grizzzly (IP Logged)
16 July, 2017 13:53
On a fast track back to Kent perhaps ?

Our overall T20 performances have been so poor over recent seasons that something fundamental is wrong. Not easy to put a finger on the precise issue, but losing (as much as winning) becomes a habit, and unfortunately one which we have become all too good at.

We have to break the seeming inevitability of coming second every time.

I too wonder whether JA is the right man to lead the team. He isn't inspiring with performances, so what is he there for ? (Dare I suggest the same could be said for MM).

Would Lewis be an option as T20 Captain I wonder ? He certainly came up with the goods in the Championship at Scarborough.

I also wonder whether we have the balance right between on & off field spending. There doesn't seem to me to be much point in having a whizz bang ground if we don't have a decent team to perform on it !

So, there will be plenty of stuff to be discussed at the next member's forum with MM, (whenever that is - presumably not until the next Championship game).But, unless our season improves markedly, the marketing team are going to have one heck of a challenge on their hands trying to sell membership's for next year.

Best of luck to Tom today. Let's hope youthful exuberance rubs off on some of his senior colleagues.

Grizzzly

Roger ivanhoe (IP Logged)
16 July, 2017 15:34
Were we not told at one of the public meetings we were well under our Salary cap.

Much as I would like to see a team of home grown players, but with most of the other Counties bringing in overseas stars for the T20, I think we have been very complacent in expecting to progress in this years T20 competition with the squad we have.

While it seems we have sold out for three of the Home T20's, we might well struggle to fill the ground for the remaining games based on our performances to date, and doubts about Corey Anderson's fitness will not help.
If we had named Two quality overseas players early in the season it is highly likely, even with this seasons increased capacity that all seven matches might well have been sold out prior to the start of the campaign.

Grockle (IP Logged)
16 July, 2017 15:38
You may be right Roger but that is the line being presented.

Replacing Corey may be an option if we can't take short term measures to get him back on the pitch in line with those desired by Kiwi cricket.

However, there seems to be no real conversations being had about a second T20 player and that horse has pretty much bolted now if we don't start winning some of these games anyway.

(Sm72)

Roger ivanhoe (IP Logged)
16 July, 2017 16:04
Grockle, No I don't think M.M. will bring in an additional overseas now.

Complacency is a dangerous option, for years the club has lived on its success
Off the Field, this might well be not the case in the future.

Our new C.E.O may well face a few big decisions sooner than later I feel when he takes over in September, along with our Chairman, as I really cannot see M.M changing the way he prefers to operate.

Grockle (IP Logged)
16 July, 2017 16:14
Seems to take him a long time to change his mind Roger.

(Sm72)

Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
16 July, 2017 16:55
Saving money for the Flood-lights. smiling smiley

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net