cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Moving from Muscat Minarets back to Bicknoller Towers for good in

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Re: Last Women's cricket - S.Africa v Oz and Glammy later
Roger ivanhoe (IP Logged)
16 July, 2017 18:07
Meant to be getting 60% of cost of Floodlights from ECB Mike, but then they also have scheduled the permanent stand at the Priory Bridge end, plus the larger adjacent scoreboard to installed.

But plans may change I suppose.

Grockle (IP Logged)
16 July, 2017 18:27
As I said earlier.

Seems a pointless plan given the probable future of the County Ground as an occasional outground for annual franchise T20 matches and the home of a non franchised out of favour provincial side playing in the second rate Blast tournament without international stars and CC matches of some type if allowed as one of the remaining non bankrupt clubs by 2025.

Not exactly site investment heaven I would suggest.

(Sm72)

Clarence Parker (IP Logged)
16 July, 2017 20:16
Quote:
Roger ivanhoe
Grockle, No I don't think M.M. will bring in an additional overseas now.
Complacency is a dangerous option, for years the club has lived on its success
off the Field, this might well be not the case in the future.

Our new C.E.O may well face a few big decisions sooner than later I feel when he takes over in September, along with our Chairman, as I really cannot see M.M changing the way he prefers to operate.

I have always respected Roger’s comments as possibly emanating from somewhere nearer to the corridors of power at Somerset CCC, than most of us lesser souls have access to.

Therefore, I find myself intrigued in trying to read between the lines of Roger’s final paragraph above.

If MM is reluctant to “change the ways he prefers to operate” I sense (but only sense on the basis of this one posting) that the hierarchy of the club may be growing increasingly impatient with him, and the results that he has achieved.

It may be nothing of the sort of course in which case we wait to see what takes place at the end of this season.

I am just intrigued – that’s all!

Matthew Maynard has always struck me as an intransigent sort of man, and that can be a weakness in any aspect of life.

Remember the fable of the oak tree and the willow tree.

Clarence Parker’s thought for the day.

AG on apple (IP Logged)
16 July, 2017 21:01
Grizzly - you have alighted on my number one hobby horse. I believe that, far more often than not, investing in a ground detracts from on-field investment. Assurances are always given to the contrary but the simple fact is that ground works cost money - lots of it, and unless you have a benefactor to pay those costs? Well the money has to come from somewhere...

I would not be in the least bit surprised if expenditures such as installling floodlights etc have knock-on effects on on field investment.

Roger - viz your second para re: complacency - I might be completely wrong but I suspect that realism/defeatism (depending on your point of view) might be at the root of only hiring one T20 player ....that far from 'expecting to progress with this squad,' we instead expected not to progress and so weren't going to throw money at the T20 unless, perhaps, we thought we could find somebody so amazing that he could win multiple games almost by himself. I certainly take your point viz ticket sales for later games, however.

In his pre-season interview Jim did not exactly sound bullish about our T20 prospects, and with good reason. Having lost our final 7 last year it would not have been unreasonable to conclude that we were unlikely to be a team that would be 'there or thereabouts in this competition,' and therefore in a position where getting a top overseas would be likely to take us from, say, 4th best to winners.

Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
18 July, 2017 12:22
I'm not totally sorry that the men succumbed so limply yesterday for I find the women's cricket rather more entertaining to listen to.

LoL

Seventy Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Wickham (IP Logged)
18 July, 2017 13:16
You won't see a better stumping than the one effected by Sarah Taylor.

mikeindex (IP Logged)
18 July, 2017 17:19
... rivalled for Champagne Moment by Anya's beautifully struck first-ball four through the covers giving England another heart-stopping last-over win.
I love women's cricket.

Grockle (IP Logged)
18 July, 2017 17:25
Anya Shrubsole.... you beauty. 2 from 3 and she puts it away for four ball one. England in the World Cup Final. Excellent effort from South Africa to stay in the game but we were just a little too good.

(Sm72)

mikeindex (IP Logged)
18 July, 2017 18:27
Well said Grockle, an outstanding effort throughout the tournament from a SA team who were until recently one of the also-rans in international women's cricket. Rather a disappointing show from West Indies, who have also made great strides over the last few years but weren't at their best this time.

An Australian lady I got talking to while watching a women's ODI at the County ground two years ago described women's cricket as "the purest form of the game" and I think she was absolutely right.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net