cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Time until I see some live home cricket. Bring on 2017!!!

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Why did we announce the signing of a player
DeanSwift (IP Logged)
06 August, 2017 19:50
when he is not available to play?

Re: Why did we announce the signing of a player
Grockle (IP Logged)
06 August, 2017 19:58
Well the more optimistic of us assumed they had kept the announcement back despite lots of Pakistani rumours until the visa work had mostly been done. Doesn't seem to have been so. As Ive said elsewhere I'll try and get a feel for it all tomorrow but no promises.

(Sm72)

DeanSwift (IP Logged)
06 August, 2017 20:00
Thanks

It just feels so amateurish - don't announce anything until it's all confirmed.

Grockle (IP Logged)
06 August, 2017 20:04
True but we're talking about working with the British and Commonwealth Office and Pakistan. Nothing in that sentence suggests any kind of certainty.

We could do with him as soon as for sure.

(Sm72)

Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
06 August, 2017 20:20
It also made sense to announce his signing at the same time of the announcement of a another player not staying for any more matches. (Carey Anderson)

AGod (IP Logged)
06 August, 2017 20:30
And, as the story was already out there in the Pakistani media, it made sense to admit the truth rather than maintain radio silence, IMO.

Grockle (IP Logged)
06 August, 2017 20:32
It was ONLY on Pakistani media though so there was no hurry. There's loadsa stuff on Pakistani media all the time and most of it comes to nothing.

(Sm72)

Ajay (IP Logged)
06 August, 2017 21:35
Well this one might come to nothing in time as well!

Grockle (IP Logged)
06 August, 2017 21:42
That would be the FCO's fault even though It could still happen Ajay. Who'd be a Pakistani cricketer trying to find out of season work or an English county trying to offer it? You never know, he may get a game in....😎

(Sm72)

Scrumper (IP Logged)
06 August, 2017 22:12
"As an overseas replacement Somerset have agreed terms with Pakistan top order batsman Fakhar Zaman until the end of the season in both formats."

Could be the 2023 season?

tidegoingout (IP Logged)
06 August, 2017 22:58
Quote:
Grockle
That would be the FCO's fault even though It could still happen Ajay. Who'd be a Pakistani cricketer trying to find out of season work or an English county trying to offer it? You never know, he may get a game in....😎

I could be wrong but I think it's the Home Office not the FCO which decides who gets into the country (legally) and on what terms. From my knowledge of how they deal with overseas students coming here for a limited period it wouldn't surprise me if it took a while and some hurdle-jumping to get this guy here.

Grockle (IP Logged)
07 August, 2017 07:57
You could very certainly be right. I've only dealt with going out not coming in but I think we're both of the same mind that they don't make it all that easy and the timing really does operate on a case by case basis.

I had to go through document accreditation between here and Muscat so I just SAE'd everything to the FCO to approve, send on to the Omani Embassy and then on to my school in Muscat and it happened in 2 weeks.

People who came out to work at the same place had nightmares that took months including a couple who had been married in a now decommisioned Registry Office in Sheffield who had to have a signed confirmation of their marriage from the Registrar who married them who'd been retired for a decade. They sorted it all out and were then told the document the man had to sign should have been in Arabic AND English in order for it to be acceptable.

Both ends of the process have to agree.

Anyway with luck it will be in the final stages and we'll see Fakhar on the pitch soon.

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2017 08:06 by Grockle.

AGod (IP Logged)
07 August, 2017 11:20
It is the Home Office.

One would hope that this process was started at least a fortnight ago. And we have three weeks before Chelmsford. So one would hope that it will come through, given five weeks (in total since the process hopefully began).

If he goes get his permit then it will be interesting if Eddie and Tim both do well in this one, particularly if others do not.

Grockle (IP Logged)
07 August, 2017 12:24
The Pakistani rumour was about 3 weeks ago wasn't it so they may have started earlier than that.

(Sm72)

AGod (IP Logged)
07 August, 2017 12:25
I think 2-3 weeks, yeah.

But even if they only started on the day of the rumour that would be at least two gone, maybe three, with three to come before Essex.

So, we live in hope.

brt1919 (IP Logged)
07 August, 2017 12:40
Well it's a little cynical perhaps, but you could argue that having lost an overseas star, it looks better to announce a replacement quickly in the midst of the T20 campaign & people wanting to come & watch than wait until all the i's are dotted etc.

Where is Mr Gayle at the moment? Just the man we need for a few t20 games!

Grockle (IP Logged)
07 August, 2017 14:55
Possibly a little cynical brt.

The news is that the Home Office have confirmed that the visa is in order. Nothing the club can do. They are waiting for approval and they hope Fakhar will be here for all of the last 5 CC1 games plus whatever T20 matches are left.

(Sm72)

barndoorio (IP Logged)
08 August, 2017 09:49
If it's of help, I follow Watford football, who are trying to sign a brazillian (Richarlison), people in Brazil have reported it, he's been seen at the ground and at games, but the club haven't announced it because his work permit isn't sorted.

And... lots of fans on social media are complaining that we haven't announced anything.

You can't win!

AGod (IP Logged)
08 August, 2017 10:01
Quite.

Grockle (IP Logged)
08 August, 2017 12:12
Only the government agencies 'win'

(Sm72)

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net