cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Time to the New Year

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Current Page: 1 of 12
'Surrey Week' T20 onto CC1
Grockles.com (IP Logged)
07 August, 2017 14:30
What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2017 20:43 by Grockle.

Welcome to 'Surrey Week'
Grockle (IP Logged)
06 August, 2017 13:39
It always seems sensible that we welcome a club for home games in more than 1 format at the same time to save time and money. It rarely happens these days.

At 2:30 this afternoon we start 5 days against the Browncaps with the T20 followed by the CC1 game from tomorrow. A friend of mine saw the visitors during the week and defined them as 'rubbish' at this format.

I suppose we'll see quite soon at our 18th 'sold out' home short format game. I'm quite looking forward to seeing some Gimblett Hill stalwarts tomorrow who don't travel for the T20's. It has been a while people.

The 14 man squad for today includes van Meerkeen for the first time in a while so that might be interesting, the others are;

Davies S
Myburgh
Waller
Abell
Leask
Bess
Trego
Allenby
Overton C
Groenewald
Hildreth
Gregory
van der Merwe

(Sm72)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2017 14:20 by Grockle.

Re: Welcome to 'Surrey Week'
Grockle (IP Logged)
06 August, 2017 14:23
Leask, Bess and Trigger lose out as we are unchanged from Friday.

(Sm72)

mikeindex (IP Logged)
06 August, 2017 15:01
To judge from the commentary it sounds as if Leask or Bess might have been a good pick, perhaps instead of Tim G.

Grockle (IP Logged)
06 August, 2017 15:49
158 needed. Interesting score on our pitch. Hope Steve and Tom get a bit of a belt before tomorrow and that Johann keeps the momentum going with some over the buildings belts. But you never know..... 8 an over.

(Sm72)

Grockle (IP Logged)
06 August, 2017 16:15
Nothing hopeful for Steve and they have to do it without Johann today if at all.

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2017 16:15 by Grockle.

Rod1883 (IP Logged)
06 August, 2017 16:32
Another embarrassing capitulation it would seem 49-5 after 8.4

Grockle (IP Logged)
06 August, 2017 16:43
Yep. Doesn't look like anyone us going to be celebrating much today except our 'told you so' crowd. We don't even seem to be losing wickets at the proper run rate.

(Sm72)

Rod1883 (IP Logged)
06 August, 2017 16:50
Hildreth and Roelof giving it a good go now though!
111-5, 47 off 7 needed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2017 16:52 by Rod1883.

Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
06 August, 2017 16:54
Yeah, I'm in the Grockle "told you so crowd", and I will tell you that we are going to win this.

A glass half - empty or a glass half - full?
Regardless, both glasses need filling up.

Rod1883 (IP Logged)
06 August, 2017 17:11
Well, what a second half to the innings.
Well done lads, sorry I doubted you there for a moment!

mikeindex (IP Logged)
Well, that worked out pretty satisfactorily in the end.

Grockle (IP Logged)
Oh me of little faith! Well done James once again with Craig offering excellent back-up. Seems our Surrey friends lost their composure a little.

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2017 17:12 by Grockle.

Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
06 August, 2017 17:12
“Get behind the team and support them.”

I told you we were going to beat the Brown Caps – never in doubt.

Oh ye of little faith.

(Sm22)

A glass half - empty or a glass half - full?
Regardless, both glasses need filling up.

Grizzzly (IP Logged)
06 August, 2017 17:27
Well, that's good news anyway.

Now, back to the more important stuff tomorrow.....

Grizzzly

Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
06 August, 2017 17:35
Interesting thread from top to bottom.

Looks like a good win, in second place after today's win.

Grockle (IP Logged)
06 August, 2017 17:55
A good consistent campaign from James and Craig. Some others will still have questions over them tomorrow morning. Steve has shown some smatterings but is he more in tune now. Marcus has had nothing for quite a while and Tom is still a doubt. Lewis has answered some questions asked of him but any of the young players introduced before the short format stuff will all be back at the starting point again.

Lots of anticipation about the game on Monday now.

(Sm72)

Botham (IP Logged)
06 August, 2017 18:02
Wow, that must've been exciting if everyone stayed. There's nothing like a thrilling match at Taunton for getting the crowd going and I bet they just loved this one. I can only imagine that we are trying to build for the future when we don't play Tregs.

We seem to capitulate away so hopefully we can book this trend, but fortunately all remaining matters seem to be at home. Anyway well done to the team today

AGod (IP Logged)
06 August, 2017 18:10
Spinners, I think, the primary key to this win. Strong efforts from both VDM and Max. Plus, of course, Timmy G getting rid of Finch was potentially pivotal.

A good win.

I don't approve, though, of picking Tom A for this format. I think he's just been shoehorned in to try to "re-integrate him," with the first team, rather than because he has any real aptitude for the format.

There are two possible problems with that:

1) It makes the team less likely to win the match (on balance)....

2) More importantly, in the context of what they are trying to achieve with Tom, it risks undermining his confidence which may have been somewhat restored by dint of runs made in the seconds.

Incidentally, in terms of confidence, I was thinking that S Davies had finally found decent form, but then he's promptly put successive ducks on the board in the last two. A good score from Hildreth so that should help with his confidence ahead of tomorrow.

It already looks like there will be results in all three other games in this round, making it even more imperative that we beat the Brown Caps in the key fixture that starts tomorrow.

Grizzzly (IP Logged)
06 August, 2017 18:13
SCCC site says Lewis won't play any further four day games this year !

Of course, his well being must come first and I hope he can get the treatment he needs soon, but we needed that news like a hole in the head.

Jamie also still out, which is disappointing. Jim Allenby is in the squad, despite (according to him) being told he won't/is most unlikely feature next season, whilst PT isn't even mentioned.

All very curious.

Tom recalled as Captain. Wish him well, but we surely have a mountain to climb tomorrow and for the rest of the season.

Grizzzly

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2017 18:19 by Grizzzly.

Current Page: 1 of 12

This Thread has been closed
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net