cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Time until I see some live home cricket. Bring on 2017!!!

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Current Page: 2 of 12

Re: Welcome to 'Surrey Week'
AGod (IP Logged)
06 August, 2017 18:14
As for the turn-around in the second half of our innings?

Let's face it, we have form for doing this at home to Surrey and they have form for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory here.

Indeed, that's the third successive occasion, in three different formats in games at Taunton that Surrey have appeared to be on top in the decisive innings of a match, and the Surrey record in such games reads "played three, lost three."

Roelof an important part of the turn-around in consecutive matches vs the Brown Caps.

AGod (IP Logged)
06 August, 2017 18:21
Awful news viz LG - truly dreadful.

I think it's fairly clear that Peter Trego is finished at Somerset unless the powers that be elect to terminate the employment of one M Maynard, esq...

Grockle (IP Logged)
06 August, 2017 18:21
They must hate the sight of RvdM walking out. 201 runs against them this season. Will he walk out again tomorrow?. He turned this game by the 8th over I didn't think we had enough to turn it but keep forgetting how good Craig can be when he gets his eye in. James has haf a good T20 up to now.

(Sm72)

AGod (IP Logged)
06 August, 2017 18:30
So, if I were forced to select and XI and allowed to pick only from the squad handed to me by Matthew Maynard (which is as below) then I think I would select the following:

Maynard's squad:

Marcus Trescothick, Eddie Byrom, Tim Rouse, James Hildreth, Tom Abell (c), Steve Davies (wk), Jim Allenby, Craig Overton, Roelof van der Merwe, Dom Bess, Jack Leach, Tim Groenewald, Paul van Meekeren.

My XI

Tres
Eddie
Tim
JH
SD
Tom
Cove
Roelof
Jack
Tim
Dom

I was all for picking LG at six and not taking the gamble with just a two front-line seamer attack, even if we do succeed in producing a spinning top. But with LG out and Peter Trego not available for selection in this squad, I've elected to rely on Tom as the third seamer, rather than Jim.

I suspect that what Matthew will actually do is leave Tim Rouse out, bat Tom at three and play Jim at six. But Jim has demonstrated often enough, for me, that he's not a top six batsman at CC1 level.

The other option is a really long lower order in which Craig/Roelof bat six and seven and then the Meerkat can be included - interesting to note that he appears, now, to have moved ahead of Josh Davey. With Josh out of contract at season's end, a poor sign indeed for him, that he can't get in the squad when both LG and JO are out.

We must hope that Jamie will *finally* be fit when Chelmsford rolls around.

Wickham (IP Logged)
06 August, 2017 18:49
I didn't see that coming at 47-5. Well done to vdM, Cove and - especially - JH.

I agree with AG about not picking Abell in this format. An out of form hitter has a puncher's chance of hitting a few boundaries, but I can't see a touch player being able to recover form in the frenzied atmosphere of a T20 match.

JH has amply disproved, this season, that he is not a T20 player.

mikeindex (IP Logged)
06 August, 2017 18:54
Having to go in without either Lewis or Jamie is distinctly bad news, but not insuperable.
Also something of an added inducement to opt for a spin-friendly wicket.
I agree with AG's XI, given the 14 we have to choose from. Even if choosing from the full squad I would probably go for the same XI, desperately sad as I would be to leave out Peter Trego.
One or two hypotheticals which I very much hope don't come to pass - suppose Tom doesn't get runs in either innings of this match, do we keep him for the next one? And if not, who captains in Lewis' absence?
And if SD doesn't either, what then?
I have seen no updates on Jamie's situation on the SCCC website, has anyone any idea how he's progressing?
Is this the greatest number of question marks ever seen in a Grockles post?

Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
06 August, 2017 19:23
Jamie has been going through fitness training, he told me he was bored not playing.

AGod (IP Logged)
06 August, 2017 19:24
Well if he's nearly right then he, surely, will be ready for Chelmsford.

I imagine fitness training but not playing is, indeed, utterly mind-numbing.

Clarence Parker (IP Logged)
06 August, 2017 19:33
Personally I would have put Tom Abell on 'gardening leave' until the end of the season.

He seems to be a very pleasant young man, but being given the captaincy (whether he sought it or not) before having established himself over the past couple of seasons as a competent and consistent batter, has IMO been too much for him.

From what I have seen of him, he has led the team very well, but for whatever reason his batting has declined embarrassingly. He has had a few reasonable scores in the Seconds, but from what I have gleaned he hasn't exactly set the world on fire.

It's a parlous situation. If we play him, he will have to resume the captaincy. If he plays and fails again with the bat, it can only further damage his state of mind. Should he play, and score buckets full of runs and lead the side well, then all is well.

But is he up to such pressure especially as we are desperately fighting relegation?

In an ideal world, I would say get yourself ready physically, technically and mentally for 2018. Whatever Division we are in next year (and I can't envisage it being anything other than Div. 2) the club should rally round to help him become the best player he can be, and if this means finding someone else to lead the side next year, then that is what will have to happen.

But, as we all know, we do not live in an ideal world.

Grockle (IP Logged)
06 August, 2017 19:53
Gregory out is an issue on more than one level but you have to work with what you have I suppose.

Picking Tom today seemed to make no real sense as Wickham suggests, getting runs in a chase like that isn't real prep for anything other than getting runs in a chase. In the end it became no prep at all if they expect to pick him tomorrow.

We may need our new international to come up with something. Anyone got any news? If I can make the buses and hobble into Taunton I'll see what I can get from people at the ground tomorrow.

We are still in the T20 with a significant shout but tomorrow is the ONLY important game in the next week. Our one objective in 2017 is to remain in CC1.

NOTHING else matters.

I'm going to leave this here as the CC1 thread as well. If I can get into the ground this week I will put a frontpage on it for that game. Please keep stuff on this thread. I'll simply merge any other threads into this one.

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2017 20:01 by Grockle.

Some of the biggest matches coming up in Somerset history
DeanSwift (IP Logged)
06 August, 2017 19:51
and we decide to rest one of our best bowlers?

poor Lewis Gregory

You also ask the following

Why has Lewis Gregory been made unavailable for the rest of the County Championship this season?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2017 20:06 by Grockle.

Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
06 August, 2017 20:14
Lewis Gregory being not available must be to do with his back, he may have been advised not to play any more until he has had his OP.

Grockle (IP Logged)
06 August, 2017 20:16
But it's only four day is ir not? He is still OK for T20?

(Sm72)

AGod (IP Logged)
06 August, 2017 20:32
That's what we must assume given what they have said, yes.

Roger ivanhoe (IP Logged)
06 August, 2017 20:33
Peter Trego not selected for tomorrows game.Completely out of favour.

Mail out tonight shows Van de Merwe and Van Meekeran missing in 11 stated.

AGod (IP Logged)
06 August, 2017 20:35
I don't understand, Roger, do you mean they've sent out a list of an XI for tomorrow already? That's what it says on tomorrow's scorecards you mean?

AGod (IP Logged)
06 August, 2017 20:47
Oh, I get it Mail as in name of paper.

I read mail-out and I thought surely we're not sending out details of the XI the day before the match!

Roger ivanhoe (IP Logged)
06 August, 2017 20:51
AGod, we 1875 and Long Room members have a pre match mail out, amongst which shows a picture of the 11 named shirts.

Of course it might change overnight.

AGod (IP Logged)
06 August, 2017 20:58
Ah!

AGod (IP Logged)
06 August, 2017 21:00
Personally, I think that if we were to leave out for VDM and PVM then that would represent too defensive a team selection for a must-win game.

Besides, Surrey would surely be pleased if we were to omit VDM..

Current Page: 2 of 12

This Thread has been closed
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net