cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Somerset will or won't be Champions of the CC1 in

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Current Page: 11 of 12

MESSAGES->author
Re: Surrey Week Part 2
Grockle (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 11:07
Dom Adds another.

(Sm72)

Wickham
Wickham (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 11:18
I'm following Cricinfo on the train and am wondering how these wickets have come about - for example, have the Surrey batsmen been holing out to extra-cover or mid-wicket?

sandhills
sandhills (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 11:18
FYI The vast majority of wickets comprise copious qtys of loam, normally surrey loam spread in early October after scarifying all the grass from the wicket. Good groundsman wiil take Soil samples that regularly show 20 layers of loam I.e 20 years worth. I believe taunton over the years have used surrey mainly with some strips using other varieties to see what happens.

Thetefore the only real difference is watering weather and drainage when comparing taunton to lords or old trafford

Following on
Surrey Week Part 2
Following on (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 11:25
Wickman the Tom Abell catches are at short cover.

The main site has a match centre feature - video footage of the wickets is posted there.

Wickham
Wickham (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 11:29
Many thanks, Following on - I had forgotten about the Match Centre.

geordie moonraker
geordie moonraker (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 11:53
Well that's the 5 down before lunch.Still remote but still possible.

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 12:01
At least we're on track, bonus points wise, which is important.

And nothing that has happened in this match will have diminished the collective confidence of the team.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 12:15
They've tried smacking them out of the attack and failed. Need to get this first lot out before 286 or this is still over. Need to say goodbye to Finch. Craig bowling well. So 104 plays 5 wickets in the first half of the afternoon.

(Sm72)

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 12:25
Craig has been in superb form of late, he really has. Ever since Scarborough, then carried through much of the T20.

If we're going to get out of dodge (season wise, I mean), then I think he will probably be the pivotal man, given that we cannot expect much help for our spinners on our travels, I wouldn't have thought.

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 12:37
Cove reversing the ball according to the Beeb guy from Surrey.

Plenty of praise for our spinners from that guy.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 12:46
Mark Church is the man it seems. Likes our attack a lot.

(Sm72)

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 13:20
Thanks, Dom.

And timely switch, Tom.

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 13:32
Sounds like another excellent bowling performance today.

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 13:57
And there is powerful evidence of exactly why this club may well want to involve Dom in all forms of cricket and, thus, why Max may become surplus to requirements.

Nailsea_Fizz
Nailsea_Fizz (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 14:23
Indeed, Mr Bess would appear to offer more all round than Max. Great performance from Mr Bess again.

Who would have thought that the club may have better knowledge on the all round performances of it's own players when making decisions on contract's for the upcoming seasons than members of a supporters forum.

Rod1883
Rod1883 (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 14:30
Just a handful of runs away from avoiding the follow on now.
I imagine they'll hit out once that milestone is passed to try to get another batting point or two within the 110 overs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2017 14:31 by Rod1883.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 14:37
Someone was asking whether there was a spinner who had a better start to their first class season than Dom Bess.

Funnily enough Nick Cook was the only one that people could come up with and he has been talking quite a lot with Dom during this game.

Cook it seems too 4 fiver-fers in his first four tests and almost nothing else in his next 9

Tea at 284 for 7. Clarke 31 looking like he is having a good time.

(Sm72)

mikeindex
mikeindex (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 15:14
Maximum bowling points, well done boys.

Rod1883
Rod1883 (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 15:14
306-9, come on lads deny them another batting point

Rod1883
Rod1883 (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 15:24
Come on Tom, let Dom have a go for his 5fer

geordie moonraker
geordie moonraker (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 15:36
I don't think we could have asked for much more when 150 overs were lost to rain. A good solid performance.

Rod1883
Rod1883 (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 15:42
Agreed GM.
I would like us to deny a rival one batting point as well please

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 15:58
From a points stand-point, game went as well as it could have done given time lost and slowness of pitch.

From an individual stand-point, we have six who can probably be very pleased with their performances in this match (four bowlers) and another, Eddie B, who can be quite satisfied as well.

Very hard to see any case for picking Allenby for the next one, to be honest. He's made about 30 runs and taken no wickets in these two recent CC matches.

Unfortunately, the Lewis injury leaves us with an issue viz balance of the side. Can Peter Trego do enough to force his way back in*? Doubtful I'd suggest given the sum total of his CC1 bowling efforts over the previous 1.5 seasons. We may need to turn to the Meerkat and gamble on less batting (as we need wins rather than draws anyway) or, else, I suppose fetch Josh Davey back in or go young if either Green or Sale are currently fit.

* Although if Peter could make a really big score in the home seconds game vs Essex, then it's possible that Tom might revert to three, with Rouse dropping out, and Peter could then fit back in at number six, I suppose. If Mr Zaman is available then I assume that he might be asked to bat three or that Eddie might drop down to that spot? It would seem harsh to leave Eddie out?

Team selection getting very important at this business end of the season with zero room for any errors..

Rod1883
Rod1883 (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 15:58
Bess 5fer!
...and they don't get that batting point.

Well done lads

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2017 16:00 by Rod1883.

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 16:01
If we're picking only one spinner at Chelmsford, then will Dom put pressure on Leachy's spot? Better fielding, more aggressive batting. On the other hand, not sure if Essex have any LHBs in their top six? SLA usually the better bat vs RHBs

It is, presumably, too much to hope for that Essex might produce anything that might assist the spinners? Although, having said that, they do have Simon Harmer who has been one of the success stories of the season, so maybe I'm wrong about that.

If it's a marginal call as to whether we should play two spinners, we should surely gamble and do it and play both Leachy and Dom?

I wouldn't like to have to make the call if we can only find room for one spinner, though.

Following on
Surrey Week Part 2
Following on (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 16:05
Other than some rather questionable weather a cracking game from a Somerset point of view!

Onwards and upwards

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 16:05
A nice little end to the game as our young spinner gets a 5-fer while having the number eleven stumped 5 short of the batting point with the Surrey captain at the other end.

There are worse ways to end an afternoon at the cricket.

(Sm72)

Grizzzly
Grizzzly (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 16:06
Well done Dom. To score a fifty & get five wickets is a memorable achievement.

So, 23 points behind M'sex, 28 behind Surrey & 29 behind Yorks (who have played one more game).

We have a lot of work to do of we are to remain in Div. 1.....

Grizzzly

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 16:12
Indeed we do.

Those immediately above us are all playing each other and two of them still have to play us.

However, I'll stick my neck out now and say that, unless Surrey are somehow behind us by the time we go to the Oval, then that will be a dull draw on a flat, boring track (like most at the Oval)

Which would leave us needing to win at least the two home games, if not also the one at Chelmsford.

I assume Surrey are due to get Sanga back by the time the CC resumes? Or maybe he'll miss one more game in that T20 nonsense? In which case, they will probably secure enough high-scoring draws to keep themselves safe.

Yorkshire and Middx arguably look more vulnerable from the point of view of possibly being short of batting (thanks to two injuries in Middx's case and possible Malan selection with England) though both would seem to have bowling attacks more capable of winning matches than what Surrey have.

We need to do our stuff, and then we need one of the above mentioned three to have an absolute 'mare between now and the end of the season - to get thrashed regularly.

What we don't need is for them all to beat each other e.g. Surrey to beat Middx, but Middx to beat Yorkshire and Yorkshire to beat Surrey -- that sort of combination of results would almost certainly send us down.

So, pick one of these three and root against them heavily from here on in...

Rod1883
Rod1883 (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 16:18
It's going to be tough to stay up.
In the next round of games, starting 28th Aug, we're away at Essex(!), Surrey play Middx at the Oval, and Warwickshire are at Old Trafford playing Lancs.

IF we can get something- even a good points haul from a draw - at Chelmsford, and Middx (probably preferably) lose as do Warwickshire, then we're still in touch....

Current Page: 11 of 12

This Thread has been closed
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net