cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Time to the start of CC1 2018

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Current Page: 18 of 18

Re: Surrey Week Part 2
Grockle (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 10:57
Dom also spent quite a lot of time on the pitch chatting to Nick Cook at square leg as well. Sounds like spinners saw something to talk about with this young man.

(Sm72)

AGod (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 12:48
Mike - WSM did mention a tantrum from Batty in the T20 match which immediately preceded the CC game, so perhaps he/they got it all out of his/their system (s) then.

Chunky - Indeed, there's no evidence - from having seen him operate on the pitch - that he is a "nice guy," but perhaps it is true that he's a decent bloke off the pitch which is, of course, something that we would never see.

Anyway, if he is prepared to give his time to young players that do not play for his side, then that is to his credit.

Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 15:35
Batty is clearly passionate and opinionated, ask Peter Trego. I liked the way Batty spoke out in favour of Jack earlier in the season on the way he had been treated by England. Batty has plenty of views on the quality of English spin bowling and it's great to hear he spent some time with Dom. A bit of a marmite character but I love the stuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2017 15:40 by Somerset LaLaLa.

Rod1883 (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 15:49
I know who's reports I would rather read!
The BBC site report makes what was an intriguing day sound incredibly dull - and he can't get our next fixture right either!
[www.bbc.co.uk]

Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 22:00
I've probably made my final (and second) visit to Taunton for the summer and my hopes of watching a four-day match were somewhat dashed, firstly by the elements and then by a family illness (nothing too serious) that meant that I missed the fourth day. No complaints from me, for I thoroughly enjoyed my two days (four sessions really) on Gimblett's Hill in the company of the usual good and cheerful friends. And the cricket wasn't at all bad either.

We started with a lovely (and not atypical) cameo from Trescothick and an increasingly attractive innings by Byrom, my first sight of him, perhaps destined to be the true heir of the Marquis of Keynsham. Then the afternoon session on Monday was probably as good as any I've seen for a long time, reminding one just how beautiful our beloved game can be when two of the country's finest stylists are batting together. One wonders if there are two more elegant batsmen in the county game than Abell and Davies, who chose this session to remind us of the old adage about temporary form and permanent class. Then on Tuesday came the precociously gifted Bess demonstrating what an extraordinarily talented young man he is. And how many people remembered that it was Groenewald and Leach, the architects of that brilliant last wicket stand, who, batting together, achieved that remarkable victory against the same opponents last year. (I bet the Surrey players did).

Tuesday's enjoyment was enhanced by the presence of that college of clergy, a most witty and amiable bunch, though I would question their capacity to pray effectively for a dry Wednesday. Despite all that I enjoyed, Tuesday was a day of three major disappointments. The obvious one was Abell's dismissal on 96. I saw his debut innings against Warwickshire, described by one of the umpires as the best debut innings he had ever seen. On that occasion he made 95; on Tuesday he made one more and I am hoping his scores in my presence will not rise by just a single each time, for he is capable of much higher things. One of our contributors remarked that Abell has "turned the corner" as far as his form is concerned. That is not in dispute, though one corner he perhaps should no longer turn is the one behind him on the leg side. His departure was the first of the disappointments; the second was the lack of the usually superb ice cream from the kiosk under the Somerset Stand - I had travelled all the way from London for my annual cornet. Some may find reason to blame people within the club for both those disappointments, but SCCC cannot be responsible for the extremely poor quality of the post-match pint in the Plough, normally an outlet for the finest ales. It was by far the worst pint I have drunk this year, not of course that I have had ... "stop kidding yourself" (Ed).

There was obviously much to be pleased about as far as Day Four was concerned and I feel that the determination of our much maligned side is not to be questioned.

And I am very grateful to Farnmer White and others for reporting so colourfully on the cricket that I did and did not see.

LoL

Sixty-nine Seasons a Somerset Supporter

AGod (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 22:43
Although I've disputed in the past, I think I'm coming round to the notion that Mr Abell seems to be disproportionately susceptible to being strangled down the leg-side.

What I don't know, however, is how many runs he makes through the leg-glance? One needs to know that in order to have a sensible opinion viz risk vs reward ratio..

Wickham (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 06:43
Not many runs, AG - certainly, nothing like 30 runs per leg-side strangle. (I think you can take it that those of us who have commented previously that it an unproductive shot would have taken account of reward versus risk.)

Nailsea_Fizz (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 07:31
I assume, Wickham, you have completed a full and comprehensive statistical analysis and will be publishing it in due course.

Wickham (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 07:50
You know me too well, NF - except that while, naturally, I have carried out a full statistical analysis, regretfully I can't publish the results (because of client confidentiality).

AGod (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 08:00
It's such an instinctive shot for most batsmen though, Wickham. Many aren't good enough to get anything on those balls down the leg-side though I have never understood why - for my rubbish batting that was the easy bit, hitting anything down leg through the onside!

I would think it harder to cut out that shot than to cut out loose wafts outside of off-stick.

Bobstan (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 08:07
I went six days without reading this august (and currently August) site, and remarkably I seem to have survived this deprivation.

Important matters need to be dealt with: the Pope is definitely English, so now there have been two English Popes, the first being Adrian IV. I think we should perhaps have tried to rehash our cup final chant - let's say 'I'd rather watch Steve Davies than the Pope ' ad inf.

This was surely one of the most interesting rain-ruined matches any of us can recall. So many tactical conundra, so many fine individual performances in the service of the team.

I even enjoyed Wet Wednesday, using my ancient person's bus pass to go to Wells, a place I have not visited in many years. For exiles such as myself coming south-west for a match is so much more than just the cricket; it's a return to roots.

The company wasn't too bad either!

Clarence Parker (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 09:10
That is an interesting point that you made, AGod, but as has already been suggested the number of dismissals of Tom Abell as a result of that shot, outweigh the benefits from the number of runs that he has scored from it.

Compare with the late Peter Denning, the butcher's son from the Mendips, who scored a large percentage of his runs square of the wicket on the off side. He played what was referred to as the 'Chewton Mendip Chop' but it led to his dismissal many times.

In his case I think that it would be fair to say that one of his great strengths when batting, was also a weakness.

Of Tom Abell, I do not think that could be said.

AGod (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 09:19
Hildreth the same, really - square of the wicket on the off-side both a strength and weakness.

In general, onside play is a key strength of Tom A, IMO, but maybe not that shot.

I suspect that the angle may be important.. that when the bowler goes slightly wide and angles the ball in, TA might be more likely to get it wrong.

Certainly, I don't think we can expect him to refrain from the leg glance vs balls that would otherwise hit his pad (regardless of pitching outside leg and/or missing the stumps) but perhaps he needs to think twice about playing 'away from his body,' on the onside ?

Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 09:59
Hey, he got 96! Let's be happy about that, and let the experts worry about the batting technique.

AGod (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 10:23
But preferably not ones based Down Under that are outside of the aegis of the club....

Grockle (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 12:30
Well he said he'd gone back to a more basic technique which is always a good move if you ask me. His on side plsy was delightful on Day 1 so there was a lot of good stuff to watch.

(Sm72)

Current Page: 18 of 18

This Thread has been closed
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net