cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Somerset will or won't be Champions of the CC1 in

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Current Page: 9 of 12

Mike BOS
Re: Surrey Week Part 2
Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 10:13
I have just been shopping and I am wet.

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 11:20
Yep, it's the usual depressing August weather. It is often one of the wettest months of the entire year and almost always the wettest of the three summer months.

I hope the ECB decides to play its new abomination in August...........

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 11:57
It's wet at the ground Wickham all covers on and puddles on pitches at the edges of the covers. They expect the climate to dry out about 2:00. Simon expects very little play as the outfield is sodden.

(Sm72)

barndoorio
barndoorio (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 12:03
Can't vouch for the reliability of the data, but going on the assumption it's valid. You are wrong... [www.yr.no]

August is more 'rainy' than July, but no more than any other month in the year on average.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 12:21
No play before an early lunch at Taunton. Inspection about 2 and it is doubtful of play today according to those who have had conversations this morning.

(Sm72)

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 12:44
Barndoorio - I was talking about the country as a whole, rather than Taunton specifically.

When I said wettest I was also thinking about the total amount of rain that falls, rather than number of wet days per month.

[sdwebx.worldbank.org]

On that basis, as this confirms, August tends to be the wettest of the summer months.

It's also the fifth wettest month of the whole year on that basis, with only October, November, December and January being worse. There will, of course, be regional variations but, in general, I would say the further West a place is the more likely it to adhere to this pattern.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2017 12:49 by AGod.

barndoorio
barndoorio (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 13:10
I didn't realise the country existed outside of Taunton?

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 13:10
Seems there is an article in tje Cricket paper saying there will be no Tests in the UK after July in 2020.

Seems the organisers have realised that England players may be useful in doing more than selling UberT20 and so they will be drafted into that for the 38 ish days of it from end of July....

It's the Ashes that winter but that doesn't generate domestic income does it?

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2017 13:11 by Grockle.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 13:20
Play abandoned for Day 3 people

(Sm72)

Rod1883
Rod1883 (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 13:25
That's a shame.
Just hope we can get at least a couple of bowling points tomorrow.

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 13:45
So they are going to try to play that drivel in August!? Hahaha - a watery grave awaits that awful competition.

I'm glad the CC will take place mainly in months with a better chance of dry weather.

Wickham
Wickham (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 13:59
A shame about today's weather (I see that play has now been abandoned for the day). However, yesterday was most enjoyable. Davies played very well, timing the ball beautifully. Bess showed great promise - I think that he will soon be batting at number 7. And TG provided great entertainment, hitting the ball a very long way.

Abell deserved a century. This is now the third time I have seen him "strangled" down the leg-side - as I said on the previous occasion this happened, I don't think that the fine glance he tends o play to balls outside his leg-stump is a profitable shot for him.

Surrey might be well-advised to give the Curran brothers more rest - they are both still young and there must be a risk of damage to their bodies (or, at least, to their performances) if they are over-bowled.

nelliec
nelliec (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 14:06
It would be interesting to see how many grackles would consider gambling tomorrow and setting Surrey a target to chase ,assuming Surrey would agree to an arrangement. Personally I would be happy for them to declare overnight leaving 367 to chase in 100 overs possibly,gambling on some spin after lunch tomorrow.

Somerset LaLaLa
Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 14:17
A Hose down

Sloop John B
Sloop John B (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 14:35
Rainfall in TA1 since 2010
Month July August Sept
2010 0.5 2.75 inches 1.25
2011 1.2 1.5 1.5
2012 2.3 3.2 3.00
2013 0.8 0.7 2.1
2014 0.75 2.45 0.5
2015 2.25 3.35 1.36
2016 0 0.85 1.5

This does bear out the suggestion that August is a wetter month than July or Sept.

Farmer White
Farmer White (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 14:45
As the rains subside for anyone interested here is a look back at yesterday:

Somerset v Surrey day 2. Somerset 438 all out. Surrey 69-1.

There was a varied crowd at Taunton yesterday. Not least because on Gimblett’s Hill among the regulars were a group containing an Archbishop, a Franciscan Friar, a Nun of what order I cannot say, a Roman Senator and one or two others of indeterminate religious persuasion, all eating fish and chips. Whether present to incant for divine intervention for Somerset’s salvation in Division 1 or refugees from a rained off T20 I leave the reader to determine. Perhaps the former for Somerset produced their highest score of the season at Taunton. I trust they gave thanks too for Somerset’s haul of five golden batting points.

The day had started in the top of the Somerset Stand for me. I stood on the terrace right over the umpire’s head to watch Clarke’s first over. Although Davies edged the first ball of the day onto his pad to a strangled appeal I could see no movement at all through the rest of the over. The second ball Davies drove through the covers to the Caddyshack for four as if he had been middling it for a million years. The fifth he turned smoothly into the on side with the same stroke that had been his downfall early in his innings so often earlier in the season. Form is a cruel taskmaster for it gives and it takes away and turns from one to the other without notice or reason.

It was a quarter of an hour before a watchful Abell cut Meaker to the Ondatjee and two overs more before he clipped him hard to the Somerset Stand. 96*. Then in a repeat of the stroke that seems to take his wicket too often for my liking he tried to flick past the keeper and was ‘strangled’ down the leg side off Clarke. I am not sure though that ‘strangled’ is the right term when, to my impression, he seems to be out this way more often than most. I heard someone say, “I wonder if they bowl some there deliberately to him”. And Clarke is a wily old performer.

There was warm extended applause for his departure from around the ground and a group were standing on the players balcony applauding and as far as I could see through the glass some behind too. Around the ground some stood but what an ovation he might have had with a millimetre or two more bat on that flick or had he waited for the one to drive, cut or pull which he had done all innings long the day before. There was though generally relief all around. Not just for the runs but for the sheer class with which they had been scored.

There was an alarum of similar type too for Davies soon after as he tried to hook a high one from Clarke and succeeded in just brushing the glove of Foakes as he jumped at an angle down the leg side. Not enough of a brush to prevent the ball flying down to the Botham Stand but enough to bring cries of “Oooooh!” from the crowd. On such narrow escapes can centuries be made.

Allenby hit a perfect late cut to the Trescothick off Clarke before Davies advanced down the track to drive Batty straight back over his head for a one bounce four into the Somerset Pavilion. The sound off the bat was perfection itself. Wilfred Rhodes attending cricket matches in his unsighted dotage would have known exactly what happened to that ball. I then contrived to miss the fall of Allenby but someone told me he played at one from Clarke and edged to the keeper. Soon followed Overton lbw to what looked from behind like a nasty quick one from Meaker which deviated off the pitch. To my mind Meaker was the pick of the Surrey bowlers. He certainly looked more threatening than either of the Currans with the ball seeming to often skid through.

The buzz which had permeated the air on the first day was now an anxious mumble for Somerset had lost three wickets in 5 overs and 19 runs. Batting points have been a rare commodity for Somerset this season and now Somerset were collapsing, seven down and still 30 runs short of a third and the new ball less than five overs away.

Davies responded by cutting Batty to the Temporary Stand for four and Bess matched him with a perfect copy of the same stroke off Meaker to the Ondatjee. These were measure controlled shots not desperate mid-collapse ones. Somerset clearly meant business in this innings. What followed was a sight for sore eyes this season. A determined display of assertive assured stroke play all around the wicket against which any effect of the new ball passed unnoticed. The much-vaunted Currans made no impact on this innings although the way they conducted themselves about the field spoke of an underlying confidence. Surrey changed the bowling around. They could not change the stroke play or the mounting accumulation of runs outpacing the clock towards a fifth batting bonus point. It was truly stirring stuff and the applause and chatter rose in volume to match the pace and growth of the partnership. People had been starved of such fare as this all season and we were going to savour it now.

All the while another battle was going on in the skies above us. There was a band of high white cloud above the Quantocks which bent round from above the Trescothick Stand and on behind the Ondatjee Pavilion. The Blackdowns behind the Somerset Stand were swathed in rain when I looked, the Brendon’s beyond the Brian Rose Gates were lost in the cloud as if they had never existed and darker cloud hovered above and beyond the flats. The no-man’s-land between the two, and more or less directly above the eastern half of the ground was the clearest band of blue sky you could wish for.

The flags on the Pavilion hung down unmoved as if they had not recovered from a good night out. Through the day the band of blue sky would edge infinitesimally one way or the other. If it stayed above the ground we played. If it edged to lie in a line from just behind the Ondatjee to the Temporary Stand edge of the Colin Atkinson it rained. I don’t think that band of blue sky ever went away. Had the ground been three miles to the east we might have played all day. Had it been three miles to the west we might have had no more than a dozen overs.

Throughout the day the Quantocks revelled in the good weather in which they were bathed. Not so much as a single raindrop after spending virtually the whole of the previous day swimming in them. And for Henry Blofeld aficionados as I watched the Quantocks a five coach train in Crosscountry livery slid into Taunton station as gracefully as one of Stephen Davies’ silky boundaries. Where it was headed I know not but perhaps taking some of its remaining passengers to the joys of Plymouth. If so I hope at least one of them found their way to that glorious view from The Hoe as some compensation for having missed Davies innings.

Meanwhile back at the ground Davies and Bess were both playing innings which bring blue skies rather than dark clouds to mind. There were clips off the legs, pushes into the gaps, cuts and late cuts, drives off the front and back foot, precision made pulls one of which from Davies off Tom Curran bisected the onside field and cruised to the Somerset Stand boundary to bring up his hundred. Much of the ground rose to him and players applauded from the balcony for a century is the true mark to which every batsman aspires and this one had increasingly been a thing of sheer silken joy to watch.

Now Davies started rolling his wrists over the short ball and coaxing other balls through the gaps as Bess hit pugnaciously about the place. We have seen Bess’s Championship bowling albeit on helpful pitches. If this is indicative of what he might be capable as a lower order batsmen then it is easy to see where any threat to Max Waller’s position in the Club may come from for with the way cricket is going clubs are going to need to offer T20 cricket opportunities to young players of this sort of ability.

Somerset went to lunch on 357-7, four batting points safely stowed, with Davies on 128 and Bess on 41 equalling his top first class score. In three successive strokes off Clark immediately after lunch he clipped to the Temporary Stand and flicked two more fours to the Botham stand. 53*. I wonder what price Tom Abell might have paid for just one of those flicks.

I had been delayed on my lunchtime perambulation of the ground and watched this passage of play from the gap between the Trescothick and Somerset Stands. As I watched someone who inhabits the Botham Stand as a matter of course stopped on his perambulations to talk. Again the talk turned to the future of Test and Championship cricket and whether Test cricket can withstand the T20 storm, though we did not miss a single one of Bess’s hat trick of fours. You can do both these things together at a Championship match and it makes you appreciate the value of what you are watching and the ambience in which you watch it.

All good things come to an end though and Bess finally, as I reached the scoreboard near where the old Stragglers Bar used to be, played back to Batty and his stumps rattled. “Why did it have to be Batty?’ someone mumbled. I carried on past Gimblett’s Hill, and the convocation of party clerics et al who were intently watching the cricket, back to my seat in the Somerset Pavilion ‘gods’ just in time for Steven Davies to pop one to mid-off. The applause this time carried him all the way back to the Pavilion.

The party though was not over for Somerset. Tim Groenewald joined Jack Leach who was in one of his, ‘they shall not pass’ moods. It was just as well for Somerset were still 12 short of 400. Dangerous too for the opposition when Leach plays like that and Tim Groenawald gets his eye in at the other end. What followed was not quite as pretty as the artistry that had gone before but it was mightily effective and Groenwalds’s hitting was as clean and powerful as you could hope to see.

Leach accumulated 17 including a cut to the Somerset Stand for four and one turned behind square for a single, both off the persevering Meaker, to bring Someset to 399-9. So close but not this time so far for in the next over Leach drove a Curran for a single to bring up the 400. Uproar! Leach must have nerves of tungsten for he seems to revel in these situations especially when there are nine down.

Whilst Leach closed the gate on Surrey’s attempt on the tenth wicket Groenwald made hay. He hooked Sam Curran into the bottom of the Temporary Stand, pulled him in front of square to the Ondatejee, was hit hard and jolted by Meaker at the start of the next over and then deposited him square into the very top row of the Somerset Stand at the end of it. Next he pulled Borthwick beyond the Caddyshack for another huge six, a young schoolboy fast disappearing after it to be the one to remember for many a year that he was the one to throw it back.

All good things must come to an end. Groenewald middled a vicious straight drive. Borthwick took off and caught it unimaginably and horizontally to his left. Such an innings of ferocious clean hitting almost needed an end as clean and spectacular as that. 436 all out from 270-7. Miraculous or a sign of a benign pitch? Whichever there was a hum of relief around the ground for this season, Lord’s apart, 436 was unimagined riches in which to glory.

Somerset questioned the integrity of the ball before Overton had bowled it three times at the start of the Surrey innings. The umpires looked long and hard at it rather as if they had never seen a cricket ball before but in the end decided it was the real deal and threw it back. Thereafter the bowlers put their heart and backs into the task. Groenewald induced one edge just short of Trescothick at second slip and one just too wide of him. Allenby produced what would have been catching practice had there been a fifth slip. But beyond that the pace bowlers made no headway. Leach troubled the batsmen a few times to ‘ooohs’ and ‘aaahs’ towards the close from which some drew hope but the sense of an impending draw was beginning to settle on the place. Talk started to turn to how much the weather would impinge on the morrow and how many bowling points Somerset might winkle out of Surrey.

And the run out? A case of Burns head down running for the other end, Stoneman watching the ball as intently as the Umpires had done previously half starting for the run then stopping and going back. Burns meanwhile had hesitated, then responded as Stoneman started, and found himself stranded three quarters of the way up the pitch as Stoneman turned back. ‘Yes. No. Wait. Sorry.’ sprang to mind but I wondered if there had been a call at all it was such a mess. Burns bristled off to my eye like a toddler who had had his teddy bear confiscated, turning to look pointedly at Stoneman as he went. If there is any of the speculated dissension in the Somerset camp there was no sign of it in this innings. There may though have been some in the Surrey changing room when Stoneman got back to it.

And, finally, as the news of Middlesex’s defeat to Warwickshire came through during the day I wondered what odds could be got for a bet on Middlesex and Yorkshire to go down. Now that would be a thing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2017 15:13 by Farmer White.

Grizzzly
Grizzzly (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 15:17
Quote:
nelliec
It would be interesting to see how many grackles would consider gambling tomorrow and setting Surrey a target to chase ,assuming Surrey would agree to an arrangement. Personally I would be happy for them to declare overnight leaving 367 to chase in 100 overs possibly,gambling on some spin after lunch tomorrow.

Yes, I would go for that.

Grizzzly

Farmer White
Farmer White (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 15:24
The side batting fourth almost invariably wins run chases at Taunton and when they don't they draw. Surrey are one of our distant competitiors for the drop. Being able to bat fourth is probably one of the reasons they put us in. You could connect all the barge poles in the wolrd together and I wouldn't use them to touch an offer like that.

Wickham
Wickham (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 15:57
Another lovely report, JCW, which captures the day's play beautifully.

I would venture one correction to your third paragraph: the Archbishop was, in fact, the Pope. Whether or not he was Ollie Pope's father, I could not say. I believe that when he was elected Pope, a pair of bails was burned to produce white smoke - and we all know what became of the resultant ashes.

A more prosaic explanation is that a touring cricket team had decided (for the first time) to wear fancy dress (the theme being a Catholic cleric) for one day.

Grizzzly
Grizzzly (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 15:58
Oh ye of little faith FW !

Would have thought we ought to be willing to back our spinners to get nine wickets on day four, whilst defending 367.

Grizzzly

Rod1883
Rod1883 (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 16:18
10 wickets needed for a win surely?
I'm not sure we should go for it to be honest.
From all the reports, the pitch seems far too benign, and our attack weakened to pull it off, and the alternative result could be that we lose the five points for the draw.

Following on
Following on (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 16:21
I doubt Surrey would be prepared to offer much in terms of a declaration game. Given the points difference between the teams, they have more to lose than gain.

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 16:43
I agree, FW, no to any gamble.

The pitch is too flat.

Mike BOS
Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 17:33
Farmer White, a few photos to bring your article to life. [twitter.com]

Edit - We thought one of them was Sidebottom.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2017 17:35 by Mike TA1.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 17:38
Absolutely no one on the player's balcony today... says so much about.... the fact it was piddling down with rain most of the morning. (TiC)

(Sm72)

Wickham
Wickham (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 17:51
They were probably queueing for their fluorescent "I love Tom Abell" tee-shirts, which I assume that they will wear when undertaking a pitch invasion to mark his next half-century.

Bagpuss
Bagpuss (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 18:26
Just goes to prove the poor relations between the players and the local waterfowl...

Grizzzly
Grizzzly (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 18:50
Sorry Rod, yes, I meant ten wickets !

Grizzzly

wsm fan
wsm fan (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 18:56
180/7 by lunch.
250ao 50/3 by tea following on.
6pm 185ao.....

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 21:16
You've got them losing 19 wkts, whilst also scoring the best part of 370 runs in the day!

This would seem to imply that they'll make no attempt to shut up shop all day long..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2017 21:48 by AGod.

Current Page: 9 of 12

This Thread has been closed
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net