cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Time to the New Year

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Re: England v West Indies Test series
chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
28 August, 2017 09:04
Apparently it's the same as 'umpires call' so although the line 'should' belong to the umpire (so something must be behind the line) if umpire hasn't called it, and it's very close, the likelyhood is the tv umpire won't call it as a no ball.

AGod (IP Logged)
28 August, 2017 10:05
One suspects that the West Indies who were, rightly, 25/1 in a two-horse race before the start, will still find a way not only to lose this match but to do so heavily.

mikeindex (IP Logged)
29 August, 2017 16:25
Brilliant catch by Mason Crane fielding as sub, well done young man.
Suspect this may confirm the England selectors in their view that he is a Test-class leg-spinner?

mikeindex (IP Logged)
29 August, 2017 16:31
(on brief reflection) … substituting for Stuart Broad, who had just that minute left the field, having bowled the previous-but-one over with no sign of discomfort.
A couple of thoughts occur - why did Broad go off and why did he need a substitute?
Would he have caught that catch?

mikeindex (IP Logged)
29 August, 2017 16:43
PPS totally agree with David Gower about giving the new batsman a single.
Broad back on, applauding vigorously (possibly himself for timing of exit).

Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
29 August, 2017 17:47
Glorious victory thoroughly deserved and a great boon forTest cricket, especially in the West Indies.

A triumph of Hope over Experience!

LoL

Sixty-nine Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Clarence Parker (IP Logged)
29 August, 2017 18:23
I do not love the West Indies in the same way that I love Australian cricket, but it was indeed a victory to be applauded and a big boost for the game in the Caribbean.

Bring on the Ashes series in the winter.

AGod (IP Logged)
29 August, 2017 18:33
After we lose the Ashes then I would expect Mr Bayliss to be terminated.

White ball results under him have been excellent but red ball extremely underwhelming.

Perhaps we will/should revert to a split coaching arrangement?

Nailsea_Fizz (IP Logged)
29 August, 2017 19:35
Quote:
AGod
One suspects that the West Indies who were, rightly, 25/1 in a two-horse race before the start, will still find a way not only to lose this match but to do so heavily.

oh well, can't be helped. Sometimes nice surprises do happen despite the odds.

Bobstan (IP Logged)
29 August, 2017 19:40
That's a bit strong, AG. Exterminating poor Mr Bayliss.

Grockle (IP Logged)
29 August, 2017 20:20
Only after the AG prediction comes true.... as it obviously must... and England lose the Ashes. And if they win them will the management reconcile? Happy Families and all that?

(Sm72)

AGod (IP Logged)
29 August, 2017 20:30
I think the Ashes tour may prove one too far for Jimmy/Broad.

I'm not sure TRJ will have the pace to be a real threat, Down Under.

Woakes has work to do from a fitness stand-point.

Wood cannot play more than one Test in a row.

Maybe Liam Plunkett will go on the tour? Or Finn come again?

The batting has obvious strengths - Cook, Root and the engine room of keeper, Stokes and Mo, but we may find ourselves two down for not too many far too often unless they do the smart thing and finally bat Root at three.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/08/2017 20:40 by AGod.

wsm fan (IP Logged)
29 August, 2017 20:39
Crikey we best cancel the ashes then as we clearly have no bowlers and only 3 or 4 batters. No point going really

AGod (IP Logged)
29 August, 2017 20:52
Well, let's face it, England are getting beaten far too regularly in Test matches, these days. There are several question marks amongst the batsmen and quite a few fitness doubts and age worries amongst the seamers.

This was the first home defeat to the Windies in 17 years and does not appear to be the best portent for the winter to come.

Don't get me wrong, Australia are far from impregnable, but this England team's form has been too ordinary for too long to have any real faith in them.

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
29 August, 2017 20:55
TRJ of course is exactly the same pace as Glenn McGrath was- low 80's, with maybe 85 for an effort ball.

Not saying he will take as many wickets as McGrath, mainly as he didn't make his test debut until the advanced age of 29- but it doesn't mean he can't have a useful, and productive few years as part of the England set up.

Bagpuss (IP Logged)
29 August, 2017 21:35
Had to giggle at AGs takes of woe about England's Ashes bowling attack. Meanwhile Australia are sending one bowler (Hazlewood) home from Bangladesh with a side strain, another (Starc) has a stress fracture of the foot identified after the Champions Trophy and James Pattinson was a last minute withdrawal from the Bangladesh tour with a flare up of a stress fracture.

With the equally fragile Jackson Bird and Pat Cummins now leading Australia's attack in Bangladesh, and a one-day tour of India to fulfill, the chances of more Australian bowlers being in the physio's room than on the park at the Gabba is quite high. And if international commitments don't do the trick there are 3 or 4 Sheffield Shield matches prior to the Ashes designed by CA to get their Ashes squad firing which could finish a couple of bowlers off!

Clarence Parker (IP Logged)
29 August, 2017 22:02
I had to giggle at the Barmy Army's view of the woes befalling Australia's bowling attack.

Grockle (IP Logged)
30 August, 2017 07:49
Don't worry Bag. AG will have set up a whole group of assumptions to make his ultimate dream of Australian bowling dominance possible by the date of the first Test so he'll have loads to analyse to death in the last quarter of 2017.

It'll all be OK.

(Sm72)

AGod (IP Logged)
30 August, 2017 08:20
Not a 'dream,' at all in either possible sense of the word.

And I didn't even mention the Australian bowlers.

Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
30 August, 2017 08:38
I'm fascinated by the phenomenon of people revelling in the misfortunes of those they purport to support, be that England or Somerset. What an odd bunch (or couple, at least). I would never want England to lose, but am delighted for the West Indies, especially for the lad Hope who was as cool as...

Edit: on the other hand, I always want Australia to lose, and this morning's result in Bangladesh has cheered me considerably 😉

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/08/2017 08:42 by Shepton Paul 2.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net