cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Somerset will or won't be Champions of the CC1 in

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7

AGod
Re: Glamorgan plus one T20
AGod (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 07:34
Yes, but we haven't completely ignored it and, this year, have won nearly as many games as we've lost.

Okay, if we lose to Hants then that would be 3 defeats in a row but that's not the same as a whole month of losing.

I'm not saying that we should not try vs Hants, simply that it may well be better if we don't go through (and the arithmetic makes it unlikely anyway).

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 07:42
As to the calibre of our current T20 outfit?

It's average and some average sides will go through from our group.

But we were spoilt with an exceptional T20 side for a number of years and may be guilty of judging ourselves against that zenith, rather than against realistic expectations.

At one point we had three world class T20 players - Marcus, Jos and Alf all in the same team, backed by other international class players in the likes of Kieswetter, Pollard and Kartik.

More than half of the XI at times was international class or better.

Mike BOS
Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 08:13
Here is the Somerset stats for the T20. [stats.espncricinfo.com]

I am sorry to say some big errors are being made by who ever makes these decisions.

Should Peter Trego have been picked to play, on form no. even Max Waller has a better batting average than Peter T.

It's not questionable who should have batted first, with Craig Overton average over 31. (I know I said I don't like averages).

It's errors like this that may have cost us the match.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 08:24
I agree we haven't completely ignored it but we seemed to think that tinkering with little bits would be enough when a fundamentaĺ rethink was what was needed after the debacle of last year.

Corey Anderson was the right choice of player but we needed one who could bat AND bowl and wasn"t an injury liability. We probably needed a second but chose not to go there.

We said we were going for youth but did not. Did we spend the winter working with Davey, van Meekeren and Leask looking at how to vary and fool a batsman with pace and no pace? Did we look at a role for Ryan in this competition? Did we assess the quality of our up and coming young batsmen in order to offer them opportunity?

There wrte other things we could have done but we paid lip service to them and relied on old out dated and 'dependable' tactics which didn't work in 2016 and weren't dependable enough in 2017.

So we are where we are and where our efforts have put us.

(Sm72)

Monkey Butler
Monkey Butler (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 08:27
Trego took the criticism very badly about his role in the loss on twitter. So much so that he had to clarify that he wasn't announcing his retirement.

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 08:30
The youth thing was strange. Jim said we would pre-season then the whole thing was promptly re-canted in favour of 'strongest XI regardless of age,' Just before the tournament started.

Mike - one thing to possibly say in defence of the Trego selection... sometimes, when a player has owned a particular opponent then the mere sight of that opponent is enough to revivify their season. Has any player owned any oppo more than Peter vs Glam in white ball cricket?

Mike BOS
Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 08:39
Too many times people say what a players has done and not what he is doing. (not aimed at you AG).

Angell Face
Angell Face (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 08:39
I don't understand this business of "it will be better if we don't qualify for the knock out stages". If we qualify it will be because we are good enough to do so. We haven't just played one match and got lucky. I'm no great fan of T20 but I might well go to the Rose Bowl on Friday to lend my support to the team.

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 09:44
The group has been so close that the teams that qualify may well do so down to sheer luck in terms of what happens in the final round of games - for example, whether it rains in some places and not in others. That applies to SCCC and to all of the other teams that might qualify in 4th place.

Mike - yes, indeed, I take the point.

On the Trego selection, the selection was presumably made because Matthew wanted to strengthen the batting (after all Peter doesn't bowl anymore in white ball so it wasn't hard to understand that he wasn't replacing TG for bowling reasons). Given that Matthew wanted to strengthen the batting then the options were, presumably:

Peter Trego
Tom Abell
Eddie Byrom
Tim Rouse
George Bartlett (if he's not away with the Under 19 one day party)
Ryan Davies
Michael Leask

The above would, I believe, be the sum total of the available options? Toms, Banton and Lammonby are away with England U-19.

To be fair to MM, there isn't anybody else on that list who would, unarguably, be a better selection in the T20 XI, IMO. Would anybody else like to advance a case that they consider to be unarguable in favour of any of the other options?

I'm more than happy to criticise Matthew for decisions that are obviously wrong (such as ignoring Myburgh constantly for red ball as almost all others flounder) but, sometimes, the club's resources are limited and there isn't an obvious selection for the "eleventh place."

Now, we could argue about the batting order for yesterday until the cows come home.......

(If you're going to play Peter at all then why select him in a role (finisher) to which he is largely unaccustomed - at least in recent years?) After all, Peter has usually batted top three for SCCC in most white ball cricket in recent times. Clearly batting him ahead of Mybs at three would have been stupid, but if he was going to play at all then maybe he should have gone in at four? Or we should have done the sensible thing and not put LG through the ringer with his back, and just sent Peter out to open.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 14/08/2017 09:49 by AGod.

Loyal of Lhasa
Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 10:43
No criticism of AGod is intended, but the cliché "till the cows come home" never seems very apt to me, given that most of the cows I know come home at least twice a day to be milked. A better phrase, allowing for rather longer discussion, would be "till Somerset win the Championship".

LoL

Seventy Seasons a Somerset Supporter

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 10:53
We should all support the guys at Hampshire. They don't have the luxury of alternatives. They have to try and get as close to qualification as they can. In the mathematical unlikelyhood that we go further then we support that as well.

I am disappointed that we didn't do this better. We can and should have. We are a decent one day unit. Work on the T20 aspect might have helped there as well. Wins are wins and all are good

I'm interested in the manner of winning and the commitment to doing it well. After last year I expected better and personally didn't get what I hoped for. Just me. I'll be there hoping for the win next time but we can do better than this and should have been more prepared to do so.

(Sm72)

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 11:22
Quite a bit of Matthew's previous success in the game came in T20, with tournament wins in both the West Indies and South Africa, if I recall rightly.

So he probably knows the basics of how to produce a winning T20 side but, at the moment, we just don't seem to have the resources.

I thought the original plan, as described by Jim ("We'll use the T20 to do what we did in the 50 over two or three years ago and introduce a number of young players,") made a lot of sense because it seemed clear to me (based on the two preceding years) that we don't possess enough established players that are particularly strong in this format..... so I didn't think, for one minute, that we'd be strong enough to challenge to win it *this* season, therefore it would make sense to try and steal a march for future campaigns by expediting the T20 development of some of the younger players.

I assume this plan was shelved, in part, because the first half of the season was so rough that club higher-ups worried that the fans may not wear this as a strategy.

But I think the original plan was the right one and the revised one (We'll just pick the best eleven players for each match) on balance, the wrong one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/08/2017 11:23 by AGod.

Tom Seymour
Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 16:40
“Meant to be that Rod. It seems we have a mathematical chance still of qualifying but I won't be sorry if we don't make it because we don't deserve it.

“I'll be there hoping for the win next time but we can do better than this and should have been more prepared to do so.

“I post balance. When it's good it's good and when it's bad it's not so good. Is that what you can't handle.

”Our consistency is not good enough and we don't deserve to qualify in my personal opinion.”

Who would have thought that the above 4 statements were written in the last 24 hours by the same person – the inimitable Grockle?

Is that what you call balance, Grockle? It’s far from it.

I can tolerate people who come on here and either say we are the greatest thing since sliced bread, or we are lacking in many things and are poor. Those are opinions with which I may or may not agree, but I don’t doubt their claim to be a supporter whether they pay a membership fee each year or not, or whether they watch every ball in a season or just make an occasional pilgrimage to the County Ground.

But, if anyone comes on here and says, “I hope we don’t win” they are NOT a Supporter.

Anyone may think their side won’t win a game and say so, but to hope that they lose is a different thing altogether.

Repeat – with that attitude you have failed to prove that you are a true supporter. I suggest you transfer your allegiance elsewhere.

A glass half - empty or a glass half - full?
Regardless, both glasses need filling up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/08/2017 20:28 by Grockle.

Tom Seymour
Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 16:41
Furthermore,

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 18:02
The bottom line is this:

We have far more important fish to fry than the T20.

With the way cricket is going and the ECB trying to make it city-based and all that nonsense then, if we get relegated this season, we face a genuine threat of being marginalised forever more.

If we get through in the T20 then those players that play both formats will have to waste some of their time preparing for a knockout T20 match - time that could be better spent concentrating entirely on red ball cricket to try and pull this club out of the relegation mire.

Farmer White
Farmer White (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 20:46
As I walked out of the ground it seemed in this match that Somerset had dug a hole for themselves, helped considerably by the Glamorgan openers, dug themselves out of it through sheer hard work, gained a secure footing at the top and then fallen straight back in again for no apparent reason. Usually when I leave a one-day game at Taunton the crowd is either bubbling after a victory or contemplative after a defeat. Bemused would be a better description after this defeat. It had been as if a runner coming from the back in a race found themselves breathing freely and moving smoothly ahead of the opposition on the last lap suddenly found their legs turning inexplicably to sponge as the line approached.

Before the start the styles of the two teams had been very different. Somerset had played a slow measured passing game. Glamorgan a quicker, player on player tackling game. Football now the usual precursor to a game of cricket. The goals seemed to be breached in more or less equal numbers whichever game you watched. Meanwhile the mobile nets stood forlornly by on the square, betwixt the two football matches, like pieces of equipment hurriedly abandoned by a retreating army. Then the football matches ended more or less simultaneously and the large white balls were replaced by small white ones being hit high in the air.

All the while the music blasted the air unabated. At least I assume it was music for I recognised not one bar of it. I concluded I must come from a different demographic than the target audience or at least from the one that chooses the music. Even so there was more than a smattering of heads as grey as mine spread about the stand I was in and the one next to it. I sat in the temporary stand near the Colin Atkinson Pavilion from where I could see two and a half of the church towers which mark this ground. St James, St George’s, Wilton and St Mary’s, only the pinnacles atop the tower of the last were visible for the tower beneath had been obliterated by the new press box. I could see the St James’ Street entrance through which came a stream of sunny faced people flowing at a Sunday afternoon amble only momentarily halted by that ubiquitous image of our age, bag checks.

Somerset won the toss and elected to bowl as much because they had been put in to bat yesterday and then lost, as far as I could tell from the patchy PA in the Temporary Stand, rather than any plan related to this match. Glamorgan soon made light work of that decision once they had negotiated a typically miserly opening over from Max Waller. Waller, perhaps in his last season for Somerset or perhaps not, with his trademark quick return to his mark and run up operating together at the speed of a weaver’s shuttle. No wonder the batsman does not have time to score many runs. Five off this first powerplay over.

Van Meekeren bowled a miserly over too with the only boundary coming off the edge. From my vantage point he looked quick and eager and may yet have a part to play in stiffening Somerset’s beleaguered pace attack when the Championship re starts. The biting edge cannot all be left to Craig Overton and Tim Groenewald and van Meekeren does appear to have bite.

Glamorgan though edged ahead of Somerset reaching 85 for 0 at the end of the seventh over. There were worried comments about chasing somewhere beyond 200 on the same wicket on which Somerset had failed to make 150 the day before. Perhaps the Glamorgan support sensed this too for “Glammy, Glammy, Glammy, Glammy, Glamorgan,” sprang up from the two ends of the Somerset Stand. “Glamorgan are always very noisy,” said the woman a couple of seats along from me to her friend who had apparently queried such a thing at a cricket match. “Somerset La La La, Somerset La La La,” responded the Somerset contingent in the same stand although with rather less intensity perhaps reflecting the teams’ relative positions in the match.

It had all looked rather easy for the Glamorgan opening batsmen but these days there is always an Overton about the place when you need one. He bowled the first three balls of the ninth over without conceding a run; the Glamorgan batsmen trying not one traditional stroke against any of them. Waller had bowled the previous over for only 7 and the pressure now told. Donald tried to clear the ropes and Elgar, fielding at the Stragglers end of the Somerset Stand moved along the front of it to take the catch. As he positions himself for those high catches doubt never enters your head. Smooth as silk the ball falls into his hands. 87 for 1. The over had gone for 2 runs.

Now Somerset started to peg Glamorgan back a little. Nothing spectacular although Waller again rushed Glamorgan for 5 in one over, the next four overs going for 8, 7, 5, 6, Allenby, Gregory and van de Merwe helping Waller out. 113 for 1 off 13 hardly riches for Somerset but it did at least mean Glamorgan might finish without a 2 at the front of their score.

It was a crowd of two halves or to be precise a crowd of a quarter and three quarters. The two ends of the Somerset Stand periodically trading, ‘Somerset La La La’ and ‘Glammy, Glammy, Glammy, Glamorgan.’ The two now almost on equal terms although the Glamorgan tendency the more persevering. The rest of the ground applauding interspersed with chatter and cheers. The Family Stand kept its end up with the furry heads waving in the breeze and the inflatable batons beating their applause.

As the innings sped towards its close the two sides locked horns and fought each other topsy turvy to neither’s eventual advantage. Glamorgan took 13 off an over from Gregory and another 13 off an over from Overton but lost Ingram and Rudolph in the attempt. 17 from an over from van de Merwe was replied to with another 5 run over from Waller and something special for the last over from van Meekeren.

It went for only 4 runs and included the demise of Meschede. He drove van Meekeren hard just to the off, van Meekeren moved as if to take the catch but twisted his body and steered the ball onto the stumps before Meschede had got into his stride. The crowd erupted, furry heads and batons waving, ‘Somerset La La La’ rampant, the rest of the ground applauding and van Meekeren dancing a jig to the beat of the music from the PA. This I suppose is what T20 should be about. Hard fought cricket under pressure and a huge crowd each enjoying themselves in their own way and in their own place mostly without destroying the enjoyment of others or so it seemed from where I sat. But do make sure you get a ticket for the right part of the ground. There was one incident in the Somerset Stand which drew a small group of stewards although the reason for it was not discernable from the distance I was from it.

When it was all done and dusted Glamorgan had posted 183 for 6. A ‘challenge’ as the modern parlance for ‘difficult’ goes. But not impossible. The weather though had gradually closed in through the Glamorgan innings. High white cloud had come lower revealing its true nature as autumnal grey with a chill breeze to match, the flags on the Caddyshack blowing horizontally away from the ground.

That wind had once fooled Waller who had set off full pelt 35 yards towards those flags in pursuit of a long distance caught and bowled. The wind carried the ball ahead of him and he always looked a yard short of where he needed to be, failing to take the catch by a yard as he seemed to impede Gregory coming in. “Glammy, Glammy, Glammy, Glammy, Glamorgan,” responded one end of the Somerset Stand. Spelman the batsman, in his fifties at the time, fell to Waller three overs later for 66. The smoothest quietest stumping you are very likely to see. Waller promptly ran flat out backwards in celebration, arms pumping in overdrive, to the spot where he had missed the catch. “Somerset La La La. Somerset La La La,” sang the Somerset contingent in the Somerset Stand. Davies is so unassuming behind the stumps I almost wonder if he has a guilt complex about those clinical assassin-like stumpings.

Just as clinically Davies hit his first ball straight to backward point and Somerset were 1 for 1. Gregory momentarily circumspect then started to attack in his adopted T20 mode. A four fine of mid-off and another lofted straighter to the group standing between Gimblett’s Hill and the Somerset Pavilion. Then from the other end a six to the gap between the Trescothick and the Botham. If you are going to hit a six, where more appropriate than between those two Somerset leviathans. Next he removed two stumps at the bowler’s end with a rocket powered drive before failing to clear the deep square leg boundary. He had hit with such power it was difficult to believe he had scored but 18 and Somerset had reached only 26 for 2 in the fourth over and a more than passably tuneful “Bread of Heaven” flowed forth from where the old Stragglers Bar once held sway. Sacrilege.

This Somerset T20 side keeps up the batting attack whatever the casualties, Matthew Maynard’s “risky” approach presumably. It is certainly exhilarating if nerve jangling. Myburg was on message. He played the innings of the match starting with as classic a late cut to the red covers store next to the Ondatjee as you could hope to see in any form of cricket. Soon he drove a six into the front of the Somerset Stand just along from the Bread of Heaveners as if by way of riposte. It resulted in chanting of “Barmy Army!” from whom I know not nor why.

Elgar and Myburg then started to pull Somerset into the match with a six apiece and a range of well struck fours and nicely placed singles. Elgar’s six bouncing off the front of the Temporary Stand just below me and setting the corporate spectators at the front of the stand aflutter as it approached and agog as it hit the stand for they seemed to have come to watch the cricket but had not perhaps expected to get quite that close. The rest of us applauded and the Family Stand erupted.

Elgar rotated the strike as Myburg hit out, along the way cutting Carey perfectly behind square to the gap between the Somerset and Trescothick Stands triggering another chorus of ‘Somerset La La La’. The Duckworth Lewis gap that had opened up at 26 for 2 narrowed and then edged marginally in Somerset’s favour. Less than 100 needed and hope of another Somerset revival grew. Then Elgar completely misread one from Hogan and looped it horribly to mid-off. Hildreth came and went when he was tucked up a bit trying to uppercut and directed it straight at short third man. 102-4 in the 12th over and Somerset’s newly hard-won margin neutralised. ‘Glammy, Glammy…” rang out again and the knots in Somerset stomachs tightened.

Now came what would be, one way or the other, the determining partnership of the match. Allenby and Myburg neither apparently, if not officially, destined to play for Somerset next year. Allenby rotated the strike from his first ball. Myburg seemed to step up a gear in response. He hit 6 fours and a six to Allenby’s 2 fours but Allenby gave Myburg the strike so well they added 62 in exactly 6 overs. Myburg pulled his six off Ingram through mid-wicket to the boundary boards of the Somerset Stand and followed with a finely swept four through two flailing fielders to the Somerset Pavilion. Next he turned one fine to the Botham Stand to a huge chorus of ‘Somerset La La La’ and cheers and applause from every quarter of the ground for this was stirring stuff as Somerset put the wickets behind them and closed in on their target.

Then for good measure Myburg drove one hard to the old Stragglers area which provoked the PA into joining in with a bar of “Sweet Caroline” finished off by the Somerset chorus in the Somerset Stand with tunefulness if not volume to match the earlier rendition of “Bread of Heaven”. Myburg was running the Glamorgan bowlers ragged, Allenby rotating the strike all the time as Myburg straight drove beautifully to the Botham Stand between two despairing boundary fielders. “Hey Jude” struck up the PA. Myburg responded by sweeping behind square to the temporary Stand to bring the required rate below 8. Somerset’s earlier sad song was indeed being made better.

Everyone was beginning to believe now. “Somerset La La La” was almost continuous, the chatter and the buzz in the rest of the ground cacophonous. Every single applauded, every four cheered. The sun had driven the clouds that had shrouded the Glamorgan innings away and Somerset were charging to victory in glorious sunshine, the flags now hanging limp. The atmosphere was so reminiscent of those glorious John Player League afternoons in the Seventies I almost forgot we were watching T20 forty years on.

Then Allenby charged once too often, badly misjudged the quick single to give Myburg the strike and was run out two yards short. As he walked off he half gave what to me looked like a farewell wave with his hand but may just have been acknowledgement of the applause, crossed the rope and threw his bat down. He and Myburg had got Somerset so close. Somerset needed 22 from 15 balls. Two balls later it was 22 from 13 as Myburg tried to hoist a de Lange yorker into the Ondatjee Stand and was bowled.

Trego joined van de Merwe. 20 were needed off the last two overs. A six, among some singles and a 2, from van de Merwe left 8 off the last over. It was a truly painful to watch. Trego, who once would have won for Somerset here at a canter, seemed to have no touch at all as he missed a drive. A single followed before Van de Merwe’s scoop netted a leg bye rather than the match winning six, Trego missed one altogether and succeeded only in pushing the next back along the ground to the bowler, de Lange. The man next to me said as Trego shaped up to take the final ball, “We need a six.” 8 off 6 had become 6 off one. Of such things are nightmares made for they are not supposed to be possible in this day and age. Trego tried to drive it into Gimblett’s Hill but, almost inevitably it now seemed, it bounced at least once before it crossed the rope.

No “Somerset La La La” now. No “Glammy, Glammy, Glammy” either, just prolonged applause from the Glamorgan supporters. Perhaps they too were stunned by such an improbable turnaround. Somerset supporters were left with nothing to do but shake their heads in disbelief. This match will long be talked of in Glamorgan circles and perhaps, for different reasons in Somerset ones too.

I am not one much for changing the batting order, and if I am honest probably would not have done in this case, for my impression is that it rarely works. Although as I walked along St James’ Street after the match I did ask myself, “Where was Overton when we needed him?”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/08/2017 20:48 by Farmer White.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 20:51
What AG said sums up my position as well I think Tom

You are right about the two first sentences your obsessive attempt to criticise me has prompted you to quote. They do contradict and while getting this off my system I think I've clarified what I mean.

I've altered your quote to show what I ought to have posted.

I don't mind if we do not qualify for the reasons I have posted in the last couple of days.

However the guys who play for the team don't have my options and they are still in this competition however slim their chances of progression are. They individually will go out to do their best and I appreciate and support that because they are my team.

This year some of them have pulled us out of the muddle and won games for us with single performances, Hildreth, Gregory, Waller, Myburgh, RvdM. Others have not had the opportunity and still want to have a go.

So I'll be hoping they win for their sake and supporting the next game. But I won't cry if they lose and demand wholesale sackings and crucifixions along with the other 'true' measures demanded by supporters like you.

I'll suggest how things can be done differently and debate the best way of going about it with people who want to see progress, That won't be you of course.

So thanks for pointing out my contradiction you are quite right I did not post what I really meant in that first bold quote.

I'm not sure what the third and fourth are supposed to show. The third shows how I am different to you and the fourth? Isn't that just a personal opinion that I've backed up over the last month?

The rest? Blah blah blah. I'll take no preaching from your pulpit about being a supporter. You are on here because you like being a disruptive influence for the reaction it creates. You look for my posts and things to complain about - that's about it. You turn up for the games it seems. What kind of supporter you are seen as is for others to comment not me. I'll just question some of the things you say if I feel the need

I don't think I'm the one who questions your support, I can easily leave that to others who pretty much have got you worked out. You've started one decent thread this year and I supported that but few posted on it because few see any point in discussing things with you.

I'll post what I think, I'll thank people who pick up contradictions in stuff and try and explain it better as here. But I think your obsession with me really needs to stop Tom. We don't agree on much and you don't really have the character to involve yourself in debate on a civil level for very long.

But thanks for pointing out the error. Hope it is explained now.

(Sm72)

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 21:09
"Davies is so unassuming behind the stumps I almost wonder if he has a guilt complex about those clinical assassin-like stumpings."

This was, supposedly, and ludicrously, what got him binned by England - "not aggressive and vocal enough," yadda, yadda, yadda.

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 21:18
As for my position on the Hants T20 game - I'll shed no tears whatever the result but I DO hope for a number of good individual performances ESPECIALLY from those that play red ball or who are likely to do so between now and the end of the season - as I want our tails up for Chelmsford (vs a side who will surely have their tails up)

One of those players who I think is about to play red ball is Paul Van Meekeren. I don't really know why it took us so long to introduce him to the T20 side (perhaps more of that questionable planning that Grockle referred to?) given that we signed him off the back of excellent T20I performances for Holland - but we've introduced him now and he seems to me to have done well.

Unlike Josh Davey, he was also name-checked in Matthew's recent interview about the new overseas player (the Zaman replacement) as being a player whose development we would not want to arrest by bringing in an overseas paceman so I think that he has begun to impress Matthew and I expect him to be selected at Chelmsford. So I'd love to see him put on another strong performance at the Rose Bowl.

Equally, plenty of runs from Hildreth, S Davies and runs and wickets, too, from Mr Overton and, should he play, TG.

Finally, I'd like a spectacular hundred from Johann Myburgh to further try and force MM's hand re: the team selection at Chelmsford.

Of course, I realise that if we get all the above, we shall surely win the match but I'd be perfectly happy to win the match but then not qualify due to results elsewhere/damage already inflicted.

Tom Seymour
Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 21:59
Of course, it's my pleasure Grockle.

If other contributors on here wish to "question my support for the club", then let them come on here and do so. They (whoever they are) have not been very vocal to date.

I shall most certainly lose no sleep over it.

I have no obsession over you, but perhaps you should realise that if you dish out abuse to others, then you should be big enough to expect some in return.

And that's not exactly rocket science is it?

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
15 August, 2017 09:03
Oh I think you are a little word blind if you haven't seen the questions of what you call 'support' on this forum..

If I 'dish out abuse' then please report it. I'll certainly deal with anything I see as 'abuse' from you in the same way. I'm 'big enough' to deal with it and my concern for your sleeping habits sir are pretty minimal

Are we done now? I'll take no reply as 'yes" and that will be excellent. More important things to do. Enjoy your day.

chunkyinargyll
chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
15 August, 2017 12:03
Grockle-

Where's your pitchfork?

Have you buried Thomas under the patio?

Mike BOS
Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
15 August, 2017 12:19
(Sm72)

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
15 August, 2017 12:41
No idea Chunky. I'll have a look (Thanks Mike).

Tom? Nah as I said, other far more important things to do.

(Sm72)

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
15 August, 2017 13:17
Seems it's back.

(Sm72)

Somerset LaLaLa
Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
15 August, 2017 15:05
Blue sky and 22°C in Weston with a good breeze.

Devonshire Road (near the hospital) @ 5.15pm

Loyal of Lhasa
Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
15 August, 2017 15:06
Grockle: Keep that fork handy for preparing the pitch in readiness for our last two home CC matches. Leach and Bess and RdvM will appreciate any help you can give.

LoL

Seventy Seasons a Somerset Supporter

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
15 August, 2017 15:45
Pitch preparation

I think this is the expert way of getting it sorted LoL

(Sm72)

Grizzzly
Grizzzly (IP Logged)
15 August, 2017 15:48
Now that is what AG might call a "bunsen" !

Grizzzly

Tom Seymour
Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
15 August, 2017 16:39
"Oh I think you are a little word blind if you haven't seen the questions of what you call 'support' on this forum."

Simply tell the Johnnies to send me a PM over any concerns they may have, and keep it off this forum.

They will receive a very courteous reply in return.

I have had a wonderful day thanks.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net