cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Time to the New Year

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Does it feel like we are going backwards under Matthew Maynard
DeanSwift (IP Logged)
13 August, 2017 14:51
thoughts?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/08/2017 14:51 by Grockle.

Re: Feels like we are going backwards under Matthew Maynard
Grockle (IP Logged)
13 August, 2017 15:04
Here till 2019

(Sm72)

DeanSwift (IP Logged)
13 August, 2017 15:10
Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Grockle (IP Logged)
13 August, 2017 15:57
It's an actual thing according to him good or bad.

To some on here it will never be a good thing irrespective of what happens in the next two seasons.

The club gave him a two year extension which will keep him here. Not sure who was involved in that decision, it seemed to be fait accompli done quite quickly.

Somerset have been a side in transition for a while now. He may find he has the newer squad next year in a position he did not want them in.

Is this position MM's creation? Is this just natural? Is there some conspiracy to keep him in place? You'll get all answers here.

Probably six of one and half a dozen of another in the end.

(Sm72)

AGod (IP Logged)
13 August, 2017 16:04
It is an actual thing according to him.

But the man doesn't employ himself.

If we want a real guide on this we presumably need to hear from Mr Cooper on this point - and it's unlikely to be appropriate for him to say anything until the season is over.

Grockle (IP Logged)
13 August, 2017 16:11
He's not going to say it in an interview if he is uncertain of his position AG no matter what you think is going on in the committee rooms.

Not after the last month. MM has no intention of leaving and no one is telling him he is in trouble and may have to leave.

You wanna put your money where your pseudo psycho analysis is and lay odds on him NOT being here next season? More money than sense if you do.

(Sm72)

Clarence Parker (IP Logged)
13 August, 2017 16:38
Maynard has been here for 3 years, but IMO the make - up of the squad (both in terms of composition, strength and age) has not been particularly ideal for years - even going back to before Maynard's tenure.

Look at the ages of some of our present squad: -

Trescothick 41
Trego 36
Allenby 35
Myburgh 36

plus several others in their 30's.

Alfonso Thomas went on till he was about 38 I believe.

There is then generally a marked gap between them and our younger players who are making a name for themselves at First Team level.

The Overtons, Gregory, Abell, Leach, Bess & Co. are all in their early / mid twenties. The drawback is that there is very little aged in between to replace the 'Seniors', so when they go (and some or all of them could at the end of this season) the young players will have to grow up and step up quicker than perhaps is ideal without the presence of senior players in the team.

This re - building should have started in Nosworthy's time here, and despite him having done some good things whilst he was with us he didn't, by means of appropriate recruitment, address the situation.

I think that Maynard has followed a similar route. We have some promising young players, some of whom will be found wanting and be on their way. Others hopefully will be here for years to come.

The question was - "Have we gone backwards under Matthew Maynard?"

IMO, we haven't moved forwards, and will have to bite the bullet as to whatever happens.

AGod (IP Logged)
13 August, 2017 16:45
Yes, the youth development side of the club has had spell where it didn't really produce enough players and that has left a gap. Of course, the two that were produced got away for different reasons - the two 'keepers.

As I mentioned before, since James Hildreth's debut very little came through on the batting front with the exception of those two.

Grockle mentioned the likes of Wood and Edwards but they debuted before Hildreth.

Grockle (IP Logged)
13 August, 2017 16:51
Have to agree with Clarence about the age issue. We lost a bunch of 20 somethings at the same time through injury etc and therefore found ourselves with a distinct lack of middle 20 year old players at a time when we needed to say goodbye to some 30 somethings. This made introduction difficult and transition a little less stable because of the age gap.

How much of a problem this has been and who should have got hold of it is the matter of debate. Nosworthy looked to the young but his tactics for using them was very strange at times. MM has moved some on and left others in favour of experience. He also seems to have a pigeon hole mentality in some areas - seeing some players as one dimensional in terms of format.

This may change next year depending on the end of this year.

(Sm72)

Clarence Parker (IP Logged)
13 August, 2017 20:01
If you agree with anything that I write Grockle, it will deny me any Street Cred when I next visit the County Ground.

TIC.

Grockle (IP Logged)
13 August, 2017 21:17
Well there's a shame then Clarence. If those who you know base their view of Somerset on disagreeing with me then it's a sad situation I hope they grow out of one day.

When you post something in a considered way I probably will agree with you. There are some aspects that aren't brilliant and they need to be recognised.

My opinion is one of many and I'm happy that very few see it as a deviant view of Somerset as a county. Few i know need me to give them street cred. I'm just happy that I talk about this with like minded posters who see Somerset as an unfinished project with good and bad aspects and appreciate both sides of that picture in a realistic and balanced way.

(Sm72)

Monkey Butler (IP Logged)
15 August, 2017 10:24
I think we have been pretty good in bringing through youth. Until recently we have struggled to bring through enough batting prospects, but Byrom, Rouse along with others are on the fringes of stepping in regularly.

I don't really know why we need players in-between the ages of the younger players and older players? Are they more likely to get poached? Counties will go after good players, Compton wasn't a young gun when he left.

Presuming we don't have a mass exodus of our younger talent. The players are already there to take the mantle from the older pros. Gregory and Abell have both captained the team this season. Gregory would make sense to captain the one day side next year.

We even have batting talent coming through now. Rouse and Byrom look like they may be able to make the step up.

Maynard has made a lot of mistakes in the way he has managed his resources (and not supported them with coaching). But he has also helped oversee the decision to help turn taunton into a results pitch (which we need if we don't want to just make up the numbers.

I am of the belief that he isn't the man to take us forward. However, I'd rather have him taking us forward than Nosworthy.

AGod (IP Logged)
15 August, 2017 11:16
Apart from the Houghton business, his biggest mistake was probably the recruitment (and continued selection) of Jim Allenby.

Surely MM was very closely acquainted with Jim's game and its level of quality, and so he should have been better placed than most to realise that Jim wasn't capable of the step up to CC1 level...

.. However, my suspicion is that Maynard was, himself, insufficiently acquainted with the standards required in CC1, having been coaching abroad, in CC2 etc and I think this may have been the problem - that he underestimated the standards of CC1 and thus thought Jim would be up to it.

Grockle (IP Logged)
15 August, 2017 11:19
Players who are good enough ought to get their chance. The only reason why people feel better if there is an age spectrum across the side is for continuity. As people move out at the top, people move in at the bottom and the core is strong and dynamic. As players develop they learn from the established experience and are pushed by the new talent.

A few years ago because of a few problems we lost part of our core. That affected progression, competition and side development. The transition hasn't been smooth and its affected balance I think.

Not an easy situation for anyone to come into and you may be right that it didn't fit MM's particular skill set. It certainly didn't fit DN's.

As we develop next year it may fit MM a little more. Have to hope so. Don't think there's any chance of a change in the DoC.

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/08/2017 11:20 by Grockle.

AGod (IP Logged)
15 August, 2017 11:25
The question is: If there is really no chance of a change in DoC, come hell or high water, then is that really because there is no better man for the job, or is it more because we don't want to eat two years of the contract that the man was awarded 12 months ago?

Grockle (IP Logged)
15 August, 2017 12:33
What difference does it make? How does knowing one way or the other make anything change

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/08/2017 12:38 by Grockle.

AGod (IP Logged)
15 August, 2017 12:42
Because the former reason would be a good reason to keep somebody, the second one a bad reason.

Equally, if it's the first reason then that opinion might change whereas if we just cannot afford to pay-off his contract, then that's presumably a budgetary fact and unlikely to change, come hell or high water.

As to 'Why does it make anything change?" you do realise that you could say that about almost any question and answer given on this board..

For example "Do we know if Jamie Overton will be fit for the final few games?"

Answer "There's no point in us knowing because it won't change the fact of whether or not he's fit, so there's no point in our knowing the information."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/08/2017 12:55 by AGod.

Grockle (IP Logged)
15 August, 2017 12:59
Jamie's fitness is an entirely different thing. If he's fit he plays. If he isn't he doesn't. If MM is the best we can get then he is the DoC in 2018. If his contract is too expensive to break he is the DoC in 2018. How are they the same

What is important is how effective he is not why he is there.

(Sm72)

AGod (IP Logged)
15 August, 2017 18:25
As for the 'efficacy question,' the ledger shows that, in Matthew's 3 seasons we've done quite well in 50 over cricket, poorly in T20 cricket and have had one good vs two bad seasons in the CC.

That doesn't particularly scream 'effective,' does it?

And the club accounts still say we're a top 25% wage payer so excuses about 'little old Somerset,' lack weight.

Roger ivanhoe (IP Logged)
15 August, 2017 20:58
if I heard correctly AGod, at the Q & A last week, it was stated the Club players wage bill was one the three highest of the counties, as a percentage of income.

I did try to ask if I heard correctly at the end of the meeting but unable to speak to Guy or M.M.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net