cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Time to the New Year

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Re: Feels like we are going backwards under Matthew Maynard
Grockle (IP Logged)
15 August, 2017 22:05
I think that is probably right Roger. It may fall next year. I think the club are quite proud of their percentage investment in cricket as a whole but there must be some big incomes at Taunton. Some have been there a long time and will be on big deals one would imagine.

If some go and they are replaced by younger guys who have come through the Academy it might decrease bit I'm not sure it will be significant.

(Sm72)

AGod (IP Logged)
15 August, 2017 22:07
Yes, indeed, Roger.

I checked through the accounts the other week, and two separate things have been said in recent times:

a) We are in the upper quartile (top 25% of 18) in terms of total playing wage bill.

b) We are in the top two ( I think it was?) in terms of percentage of our total income which is spent on cricket.

So two different statements, the first of which shows that we pay a lot of money, in absolute terms, on wages compared to 75% of other counties and the second of which shows that we are directing a relatively very high percentage of our total income to the playing side of the club.

Only the first statement is relevant in terms of whether or not we should regard ourselves as being a smallish club and, therefore, have low expectations, results wise.

Grockle (IP Logged)
15 August, 2017 22:16
Why is the first statement the only one that is important in your opinion AG?

(Sm72)

AGod (IP Logged)
15 August, 2017 22:30
The second statement tells one nothing about the absolute amount of money spent, that's why.

For example, if Derbyshire were number one in terms of % of their total income (from all sources) expended on cricket and Surrey were number two, then this would tell you absolutely nothing useful about the financial resources that Derbys are able to bring to bear, relative to Surrey.

In fact, Surrey are a good example. Their total turnover is huge compared to us. But because their income is so large and because (thankfully) a salary cap is in operation, they actually spend a far, far lower percentage of their total turnover on cricket than we do... but what's relevant in terms of how competitive we should expect our club to be is the absolute amount of money that we can spend on wages compared to our rivals in CC1.

... And, from the figures presented, we must conclude that there are (or have been in recent seasons) 4-5 CC1 sides that have less spending power, wage-wise than we do (or at least have chosen to spend less than we have).

Grockle (IP Logged)
15 August, 2017 22:40
But as a 'small' county it tells us that we invest a largish amount of our limited income in the sport the club is set up for which is significant.

A figure that would be useful is how much of the spending is on the wage bill I suppose but a club investing a larger percentage of its total income in its product must at least see that as important - depending on what that percentage is.

It also tells a supporter that they are spending money on more than just the professional squad numbers - as long as their spending is not just on wages (which I believe is the case at Somerset however large our wage bill is)

In our case as well, as we make an operating profit it suggests investment in the sport rather than simply maintaining the debt created by cricket related assets that they have overspent on.

I'd love to see what the spending is on but it is certainly significant that the club sees cricket as marginally more important than others perhaps?

(Sm72)

Roger ivanhoe (IP Logged)
16 August, 2017 12:11
Personally I feel the Club do very well financially for a "small" club, very difficult to compare us with the likes of Surrey, Middlesex etc, however you look at the accounts.

Grockle (IP Logged)
16 August, 2017 12:46
Very true Roger.

(Sm72)

Re: Does it feel like we are going backwards under Matthew Maynard
AGod (IP Logged)
16 August, 2017 16:20
But unless we're saying that we don't believe the accounts, then what the club is saying is that we out-spend (in absolute terms) all but 3 (or possibly 4) other counties (the calculation is that we are in the top 25% of 18 teams. Obviously 18 is not exactly divisible by 4)

Therefore, if we are getting "bang for our buck," then we should expect to be one of the foremost counties, seriously competing to win things and, dare I say, actually winning things on occasion.

To have won nothing since Mr Smith led us to victory over Mr Flintoff at The Oval in 2005 is a poor return for the amount of money that this club has invested in player wages over that period (the same line has been in the accounts for years and years and years, showing that we've been outspending other counties for years and years and years). The powers-that-be who have produced commercial success at the bank would have a right to feel that they have been let down, at least somewhat, by those to whom they have paid such relatively high wages (compared to other counties).

Back in the 1980's, for example, when our position in the relative wage paying table would have been nothing like as high (I think we'd have been near the bottom of it) then it ought to have been a surprise when we did well (as it would reflect punching above our weight).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/08/2017 16:24 by AGod.

Grockle (IP Logged)
16 August, 2017 16:25
Don't we have a number of guys who have had long careers at the ground though? One might argue that we have got more 'bang for our buck' than Surrey in a number of recent years.

It will be interesting to see how the wage bill alters if some of the players do move on at the end of the season.

(Sm72)

AGod (IP Logged)
16 August, 2017 16:35
It will, indeed, be interesting.

Common sense suggests that in cricket, as in more mundane occupations, greater seniority tends to bring greater pay. And we may shed at least three very experienced men, perhaps four.

Grockle (IP Logged)
16 August, 2017 16:39
They are probably on decent incremental schemes as well as they move from Academy to professional rates etc.

(Sm72)

16 August, 2017 17:13
Its Playing costs really not player wages, so assume they also cover the Coaching staff, Ground Staff etc, but if fairly obvious that a large proportion of the Players Salaries are received by say 3 or 4 senior players. We could question have we received full value from those senior players in the last 18 months, figures would suggest no. But imagine the reaction of the membership if those players did not have their contract renewed at the time.

It could be if the rumours are proved correct that the new policy of the club is for ALL the playing staff are to compete for a place to play in formats, not just the club to compete in all formats. In which case would make more sense of Jim Allenby's press interview.

My take on it is J.A. had contract renewal talks with M.M. who said the club are looking to retain players who are available and worthy of competing for a 1st team place in all formats, and M.M said sorry Jim, but you are not one of them, J.M then drew his conclusion on the other three named players and wrongly spoke on the matter in the interview.

AGod (IP Logged)
16 August, 2017 17:18
Perfectly possible although the other players were never mentioned in the interview itself.

But the circumstantial evidence would probably suggest that the source for the Cricinfo story was the same person that told them that he, personally, was leaving the club.

Grockle (IP Logged)
16 August, 2017 17:26
Whatever happened it seems that that report was the one in error and the club's clarification was the correct one.

(Sm72)

Grockle (IP Logged)
16 August, 2017 21:04
SomersetLaLaLa posted this on the wrong thread

From accounts for 2016

[www.somersetcountycc.co.uk]

Cricket Costs - Salaries and Associated Costs £1,984,673
(see other costs & expenses beneath in column for what is excluded e.g. travel, ground maintenance and admin)

Income £4,261,791

Therefore the ratio is 1,984,673/4,261,791 = 46%. I'm not sure what was exactly mentioned in the meeting but you get the idea.

I'm sure Surrey make at least that income figure from events and conferences alone, so their ratio is lower, but there is only a certain number of Elton John concerts that Somerset can bear

The ECB bung is more interesting

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/08/2017 21:06 by Grockle.

Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
16 August, 2017 21:30
I wonder how much Surrey pays HRH Prince of Wales for the use of his cabbage patch and whether he is thinking of reclaiming it any time for a city-centre organic farm.

LoL

Sixty-nine Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Farmer White (IP Logged)
17 August, 2017 13:49
The answer to your two questions LoL is not very much in the light of London property prices and no if these two articles are anything to go by:

This Guardian article, admittedly from 2006, suggests the current rent at 3% of Surrey's £30m annual turnover would be c£900,000 pa.

[www.theguardian.com]

This Telegraph article from a couple of months ago suggests The PoW might prefer his rent to his cabbages. It also shows what clubs like Somerset are going to be competing with post 2020.

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

On A level results day here is my A level question offering for the cricket exam paper:

Somerset's future might best lie in being 'Best of the small County Cricket Clubs' with a niche high spec 'regional' cricketing centre in what is probably the only predominantly rural region with a County Cricket Club. This would provide some contrast to the 'city' clubs in the public mind. Somerset certainly looked pretty spectacular on Sky for the T20 international and the commentary team were drooling over the venue.

Somerset have to find a profitable distinct nich somewhere in the new set up and this might be it.

Discuss.

Grockle (IP Logged)
17 August, 2017 14:29
So Somerset becomes ECB bridesmaid and pimp for South Western talent while being discriminated against by the ruling body of English and Welsh domestic cricket.

Are we supposed to be grateful for this 'opportunity'?

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/08/2017 14:30 by Grockle.

Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
17 August, 2017 15:36
"As an A level student I have not watched live cricket on terrestrial TV since the Ashes in 2005 when I was 6.

My school does not offer it in PE lessons and the pitch has been sold off for development to McDonalds. The curriculum is so overloaded for the new examinations with the teachers overworked. At the moment the school has no money for cricket equipment.

The local club has shut because it doesn't have enough players, despite the population of the village increasing.

Many children have never picked up a bat and the technicalities of the game mean they are forever lost as players. They have posters of Ronaldo rather than Root.

I welcome your proposals for Somerset being 'Best of the Small County Cricket Clubs' but for me the problem is playing at grassroots that needs to be reversed."

A Student

17 August, 2017 16:17
LaLaLa, why not try to speak to someone within the club, they might be able to point you in the right direction and offer advice.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net