cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Time to the New Year

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Re: Does it feel like we are going backwards under Matthew Maynard
Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
17 August, 2017 16:49
Roger, My answer was tongue in cheek for the cricket exam paper. I’m actually generation watching Richards/Garner/Botham but do lament the more recent decline of cricket for the many in schools. Nonetheless your suggestion of contacting the club is a very good one

Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
17 August, 2017 19:46
I've been contact the club for years to tell them I'm available for selection...

LoL

Sixty-nine Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Bobstan (IP Logged)
17 August, 2017 20:42
Yes, you're hard done by, LoL. They really could do with another coffee server in the Stragglers.

Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
17 August, 2017 21:10
What about an ice-cream server, given the way we were let down on our recent visit?

LoL

Sixty-nine Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Farmer White (IP Logged)
17 August, 2017 21:12
Can you multi-task LoL?

Grizzzly (IP Logged)
17 August, 2017 21:50
I heard Warwickshire are on the lookout for a seasoned campaigner LoL....

Grizzzly

AGod (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 05:45
Anyone with a pulse meets Warwickshire's current criteria.

Bobstan (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 07:32
Cappuccino please, LoL.

Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 07:44
"Anyone with a pulse meets Warwickshire's current criteria."

At least Giles has recruited sensibly mid season in order to strengthen his outfit in preparation for 2018.

Someone please tell me what Maynard has done?

A glass half - empty or a glass half - full?
Regardless, both glasses need filling up.

Grockle (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 08:37
But haven't Warwickshire also had a shocking 2017? No comment on that then?

What has Giles done that you know of besides taken a punt on Hose Tom?

Maynard has an Academy of players coming through. Eddie Byrom is already there, Tom Banton and Tim Rouse have had first team experience. Tom Lammomby has just been named U19 Player of the series. George Bartlett was involved as well. Paul van Meekeren is developing. So he"s gone a different route to buying in but is it less exciting for 2018. Depending on who is here for 2018 there will be off sesson purchases one would imagine to add to that.

Is there development of players at Edgbaston? I don't know. Is their strategy long or short term? Has Giles done any better than MM in his position? I'd say neither have exactly turned the county around this year. But let's have a bit more than Giles signed Adam Hose if you want to discuss a comparison.

So... what else has Giles done that makes him so much better in his approach?

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/08/2017 08:39 by Grockle.

Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 08:50
I always think buying in players during the season is a sign of desperation due to not getting it right in the first place.

Any club should have player coming through the seconds they should be able to call on if the club is any good.

The only time it warrants it is to replace an overseas player who has suddenly become unavailable for various reasons.

AGod (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 08:59
Warks have made several in-season signings, Grockle. Hose, that you know about, and also at least three others - Dominic Sibley, from Surrey, Will Rhodes, from Yorkshire and Ryan Sidebottom from Australia. I've a feeling they made one other signing who has slipped my mind.

My personal view is that the Hose and Sibley signings both represent significant gambles and I strongly suspect that Warks have over-paid for both.

Do Warks have a development programme you ask? No is the answer. They've been execrable in that respect. Chris Woakes was the last regular to come through their youth set up and I think he's about 27!

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 09:01
Giles has done quite a lot actually, Grockle.

He's practically signed half a new team in the last few weeks-

Rhodes (Yorkshire) Hose (Somerset) Sibley (Surrey) and an australian Sidebottom.

At start of season everyone reckoned Mo Ali would move back to Warwickshire this winter- so I don't know if that is still on or not.

No suggestion he has reached his overdraft limit yet- so there may be more signings to come.

Whatever you think of him, he can't be accused of letting the grass grow under his feet. Action needed to be taken, and he's taken it.

18 August, 2017 09:07
There were also a couple of local lads aged about 24 Giles gave contracts to in May- and they were instantly given some first team opportunities. Can't remember their names off the top of my head, but he's bought half a team in a couple of months.

Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 09:12
With all these incoming signings who is being pushed out?

Their squad must be large!

Grockle (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 09:12
5 first team players Chunky? Really? I know Hose has played some games (though he is restricted) but is it really half a first team or 5 prospects?

I certainly have your view AG that Giles has made signings but only time will tell whether its a good move or not. It's a strategy but is investment in local youth a worse one or not?

Just because one of the signings we know of has made a few runs recently doesn't vindicate the policy. 2018 will do that. We moved our young resources into the first team. Is that a worse policy?

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/08/2017 09:19 by Grockle.

18 August, 2017 09:13
Westwood and Clarke already gone

Porterfield (if his contract is up) must surely be another gonner. A career average of 30 really isn't good enough.

18 August, 2017 09:17
Have Somerset lined up any new payers for 2018 yet, Grockle?

Not that I'm aware of.

And Sibley/Clarke swap has already happened, and Sidebottom has already made his championship debut. Plus the two kids given their first pro contracts (both bowlers- I'll find out their names, and get back to you)

18 August, 2017 09:25
Aaron Thomason is one of the local lads who signed a contract in may. Think the other is Harry Brookes (well the item is dated 19th May)

[warwickshireccc.com]

AGod (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 09:26
God only knows how Porterfield has managed to be retained for all this time by a CC1 club.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net