cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Time to the New Year

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Re: Does it feel like we are going backwards under Matthew Maynard
AGod (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 14:35
Angell Face mentions Essex. Like him 95% of folks would have put a wager on them returning directly whence they came..

...Of possible relevance viz Essex. They stuck with Simon Grayson through years and years of inadequate performance before finally getting shot of him. I confess to having totally forgotten the ID of the man in charge now but he appears to have done a sterling job and certainly one light-years better than PG did.

AGod (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 14:43
Chris Silverwood is the man in question. One doesn't often seem to hear from him in the media etc, so that's my excuse for forgetting him - sorry, Chris.

Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 15:08
Perhaps Silverwood does not need to be prominent in the media because his splendid team are doing all the talking for him.

LoL

Sixty-nine Seasons a Somerset Supporter

AGod (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 15:16
Indeed.

Grockle (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 20:10
And because his side are performing it is probable that he is not criticised for breathing every day on the social media and websites in the area

(Sm72)

Grockle (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 20:22
The longevity and internal development of a team depends on a youth policy and players who tie their career to a county. That is the way you develop a core and keep it moving forward.

No one would expect us to pick a total side from the Academy but no one would expect us to pick no one who had come through the youth stages either. The people coming to the end and who are the backbone of our side have to some extent come through the stages of Somerset. Marcus, Trigger and James. The ones looking to take their place have followed them Lewis, The Overtons, Tom, Jack and the ones looking for their place in the start up are leaving the cocoon now to join the full side and make their mark.

The International and the signings/kolpaks who fill the roles that our Academy have not covered must fit the gaps - Rogers, Langer, Willow, Alf, Zander, and many more.

Some don't and that may have been a problem in the past few years. Tim has. Jim probably hasn't though it was with the right plan in mind that he was signed. Dean has Jayawardene probably didn't. Steve Davies hasn't but we must hope for a better second season and if it isn't there then Tom or Ryan are at least there to step up.

We need those gap fillers in the winter for places that will exist. Jim's place. Pete doesn't seem to be quite finished yet according to the score from Hampshire, Johann if he is going to teach full time, Marcus maybe. Dean?

Those gap fillers are the glue that can hold a side together and build on the Core. Somerset has the Core...... not sure about the whole team.

(Sm72)

MisterMurph (IP Logged)
19 August, 2017 08:54
Quote:
Grockle
And because his side are performing it is probable that he is not criticised for breathing every day on the social media and websites in the area

Nope - couldn't be more wrong...

Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
19 August, 2017 10:24
No, I don't feel like we're going backwards. We may not be going as far forwards as we'd like, but we are gradually forming a younger, largely home-grown squad of very good players. The likes of Jason Kerr and Steve Snell seem to be doing a good job with the current under 21s, all under MM's direction.

It may take a year or two in Div Two to come to fruition (I hope not), but I believe our team will be all the better for this period in a year or two. Whether MM is absolutely the best to take us through to the promised land, I'm not certain, but I do have faith that he will do a good job, assuming he stays.

We probably will lose one or two along the way, drawn Hose-like to bigger salaries and Test-hosting concrete bowls, but the likes of Abell, Gregory, the Overton's, Leach and Bess allied to the West Country-honed experience of Tres (in whatever capacity), Hildreth and Trego (ditto) plus TG and SD, one or two overseas players and a good crop of an even younger generation, give me a lot of hope for the playing side of the club - if the ECB allow...

Grockle (IP Logged)
19 August, 2017 10:26
Is he getting stick locally then Murph? Maybe it's the burden of a DoC then.

(Sm72)

AGod (IP Logged)
19 August, 2017 12:05
He might have got stick from the T20 fans?

DeanSwift (IP Logged)
29 August, 2017 12:36
Huge few days ahead

neonstag (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 19:02
Quote:
DeanSwift
thoughts?

I think there is something underlying within the club which is odd. Adam Hose up and left very easily??

Maybe there is a split in the dressing room. Rumour is that a few players are being shown the door at the end of the season.

I just hope we don't have another Peter Roebuck Judas situation on our hands for those that remember. Viv Richards ousted from the club with Both following was a terrible time and based on mis management.

something isn't right off the field that is for sure

AGod (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 19:14
Well some players leaving is now totally official including the departure that everybody expected even before he went public about it (Mr Allenby).

Grockle (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 19:20
Back to the speculation. Is there any evidence provided that suggests a rift in the dressing room? I'm not sure Jim was a uniting factor but the guys seem to talk to each other on twitter etc and are up for it when we win as a group.

If there is a devisive element.... who is/are it/they. Lots of people 'know' it is there but can't name who is creating it or even suggest.

New faces, new changing room? Have to wait and see.

(Sm72)

Ronniesabre (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 21:49
Certain players did . Not all. We won't miss allenby for sure !!

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net