cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Moving from Muscat Minarets back to Bicknoller Towers for good in

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

brt1919
Re: Trigger on BBC news.
brt1919 (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 23:18
I agree with you Germiston lad - what I was getting at is that Vaughan is factually correct in saying that if someone is abusing you on social media, you can turn your phone off & you don't see it. But it was a stupid reply. Why can't people in the public eye use social media like the rest of us.

stockmos
stockmos (IP Logged)
19 August, 2017 09:30
Quote:
Roger ivanhoe
Stockmos, you might be right , but drinking and bad behaviour at test matches is on the increase.

I've attended Test cricket in 2012, 2013, 2015 and this year - including 2 Ashes games - and not experienced any problems or witnessed any "bad behaviour", though of course some drink too much and can become irritating, though not where I've been sitting.

Been to Blast games including at the Oval and again nothing beyond some relatively harmless drunken nonsense.

I then googled for examples of crowd trouble, arrests and violence at both T20 Blast games and Test matches - so I've actually gone looking for examples - and literally the only thing I can find is at Headingley on the Western Terrace in 1996 - 21 years ago.

By far the worst period for trouble at English cricket matches was in fact during the 18th century - several serious incidents are well-documented, and those are just the ones that were written about in a time when many things went unrecorded.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
19 August, 2017 10:17
I doubt local problems go any farther than eviction from the ground so are unlikely to be recorded anywhere but within the county secutiy files. There have been evictions of supporters worse for wearand/or abusive at Taunton usually during local derby T20s recently. I think some Surrey supporters were shown the door this summer and there was some unrest at the Glamorgam game though I'm not sure what the result was.

There can be issues to do with the changing of membership seatimg areas where non cricketing punters are given seats in.membrrs areas and clash over levels of knowledge of the game and its etiquette.

Effective stewarding sorts most of this out but as with airlines, effective identification of drunks early could help. You don't have to sell them any more when they've been around the town twice before they arrive for a game they can hardly see and you don't have to let them in if they are already disruptive.

However, the present nature and timing of T20 games does not suggest there will be a 'family' atmosphere at the game unless you work to create it. Whether the ideal is enthusiastic women and kids at the ground, they don't raise the revenue that young guys on the @#$%& raise.

(Sm72)

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net